Member Question: Cruzan Single Barrel - Old v New?

This is the main discussion section. Grab yer cups! All hands on deck!
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Member Question: Cruzan Single Barrel - Old v New?

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Per an anonymous member...

I found an old 1.75l of Cruzan Single Barrel today for $56 that looks like this:

Do you know if there have been changes over the years that have degraded the quality and if this is a better bottle than the recent offering that looks like this?

By the way, the new bottle looks like this and I'm wondering what else changed besides the bottle:

As it so happens, we have both the old and a newer and will endeavor to check 'em out. In the meanwhile though, its a fair assumption that most if not all rums are experiencing a gradual degrading due to the corporatization of rum and the USVI subsidies. And remember too that Cruzan long ago did away with their once highly respected Cruzan Estate Diamond (5 year) that was then replaced by emphasis on NAS very young mixers.

Although the Single Barrel continued, I would bet that its been degraded, but what do I know. Until Sue Sea and I check this out, can anyone else comment?

Stay tuned...

Capn's Note: It is well to note that "Single Barrel" is a highly misleading label, no surprise. The distiller admits that this rum is actually blend of rums of ages from 5 to 12 years, which then are transferred to new oak for a year of finishing. So WTF then do they call it "single barrel"? Because they claim that each barrel of the final barrel is uh, different!? Does that make sense?

Of course not. Talk about a tortured claim. If that is true, then all rums are "single barrel" since no two barrels are alike, in my single-minded opinion, lol. Whew!
Capn Jimbo

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Comparing the "Single" Barrels...

As promised to the requester, I imposed on Sue Sea to accomodate a couple of member questions. As shocking as it might be I'm not gonna do my usual bullshit ramble, but actually get to it...

Cruzan Old Bottle

This refers to the oldest version, pictured at the top of the previous post in the tall, textured bottle with the sailing ship label.

Sue Sea:
"Since Jim asked me to help compare these rums, as always I'll begin with the bottle as I like a good presentation, although in the end this has nothing to do with the score. The old bottle is simply lovely. The tall and crackled or pebbled bottle gives an wonderful Old World appearance, almost historica and certainly rum-like. In comparison the newer bottles become progressively marketing modern and offputting.

The old version of Single Barrel is beautiful, clear light amber like a honey, and with the thinnest of green edges. The opening aroma is a light and pleasant orange blossom honey, a near marmalade with a touch of orange zest, over a light background of vanillan, leather and a very distant hickory like smoke.

With such a nice beginning, the rest of the ride was choppy and bumpy. The palate opened with the briefest honey, then bam! A hot cinnamon kicks in, reminding me of those little "Red Hot" red candies. The late palate then turns to a altered feeling deep and almost overripe purple Bing cherry, almost medicinal like a cough syrup. I was left with a tongue and throat coating combination of vanilla cream and leather, which fight one another.

I honestly cannot much recommend this rum for anyone. Having now tasted several hundred spirits I've come to more and more appreciate real quality and this rum is too simple, too constructed and choppy. It is not at all distinguised.
Moi:

To the point. Sue Sea and I had exactly the same opening nose. Single Barrel presents as a light and sweet rum, fresh but not at all complex. Just lightly pleasant. However, after some airing we both agreed that a deep nose revealed a slight sourness reminiscent of sauerkraut or asparagus.

The palate is likewise simple but surprise! The lovely light orange honey is simply absent. A light quick honey moves into astringent leather and cinnamon heat leading to a fine ground white pepper finish. The aftertaste is a lingering and coating combination of honey and newer leather. As far as Sue Sea's "choppy" goes, here's why in terms of what happens, in order:

1. Sweet light orange honey or marmalade
2. Briefest honey
3. Eruption of cinnamon heat
4. Cloying dark Bing cherry medicine
5. White pepper
6. Coating vanilla cream and sour leather

Ouch. Double ouch!!

Score (ten is best): 6. Maybe.

Cruzan Newer Bottle

This comparison refers to the second tall bottle (above) - not the lowest, squat bottle. Again I'll STFU...

Sue Sea:
"I'd like to start with my love of comparisons, which I can't recommend enough to anyone. Invariably Jim and I end any tasting by comparing a rum to others that suggest themselves and especially to a reference rum. By doing so I'm able to understand differences that otherwise can be missed.

As far as the newer Single Barrel is concerned, this newer version is an improvement over the old and its unpleasant choppiness. The newer is a darker, clear amber, near mahogany with the green edge now more apparent but only because of the increasd contrast with the darker color. As far as the bottle is concerned, it smack of modern marketing.

The newer Single Barrel's opening is much more subtle and the orange honey is gone, replaced by a predominant vanilla cream candy, over a very distant bit of pruney raisin. Now the transition to palate was more appropriate with an early vanillan, and without the spike to heat of the older version. The newer is warm, but the transition is much gentler and balanced, moving to a mid palate of light ginger and cinnamon, and continuing to a short white pepper finish and surprisingly, a pleasant coconut cream aftertaste. Think of Coco Lopez.

In sum, the newer version of Single Barrel is smoother and more balanced and without the spikes and changes of the old version. Although I hate to use the terms, the newer is a good easy sipper, but I'd relegate the old version to mixed drinks where the choppiness won't matter. I think the newer would work for beginners and casual parties, but may appeal to some Cuban style lovers."
Moi:

There is no difference that the newer Single Barrel is better, but it too has its failing beginning with the nose which is so subdued that it's barely there: less vanillan, almost no orange. The palate opens wispy sweet, then transitions nicely to a light tarry leather, with a growing cinnnamon heat and a nicely glowing white pepper finish. Gone too is the unpleasant and contradictory coating aftertaste of the old version.

I'd never buy this one again and to be fair, buying the newer bottle was a mistake. But of the two, the newer is better, more balanced, more consistent. The newer's score suffered greatly though from the near invisible nose, a major failing.

Score (ten is best): Sue Sea - 6.5 Moi - 7.
Capn Jimbo

Post by Capn Jimbo »

We hadda do it!

It was inevitable - particularly with Sue Sea's insistence - that I pull out a bottle of Cruzan's long discontinued Estate Diamond. This rum was considered one of the great products and garnered great respect in its day. It was so good that when the discontinuation became clear I bought every bottle I could find (five).

Here's our re-review done in comparison with the Single Barrels...

Cruzan Estate Diamond 5 Year

Sue Sea:
"It has been years since we first reviewed this rum, but it left such a good impression that I really wanted to try it again these years later. We did so without consulting our old review, but rather in comparison to the two Single Barrels, new and old.

Cruzan Estate Diamond lives up to its name in its absolute clarity and brilliance, with a distinguishable thin green edge. The opening was a classic rum leather and light vanillan over a background of prune and raisin as would be found baked in a warm mincemeat pie, and a baked pecan pie, still warm. These baked sensations seem to inhabit good rums, and adds the fifth sense of savory (Umami).

The palate opened beautifully with a litely creamy vanilla - airy, light and breezy, transitioning smoothly and harmoniously to the expected spices - a bit of cinnamon but notable ginger, clove and alspice. The baking spices. Fabulous. The ending palate warms up nicely for a hot but comfortably spicy, medium clove and white pepper finish. Unlike the Single Barrels, the aftertaste is not at all coating but rather a nice reflection with coconut, vanillan and even a bit of fresh, ripe pineapple (which has a sweet vanilla sensation). I call this kind of reflection an "exhale", a sort of second experience of a fine rum.

Few rums have this, but this is one. Cruzan Estate Diamond gets a great score from me for its elegance, consistency, harmony, balance and smooth transitions. A very dangerous rum."

Moi:

I loved Estate Diamond years ago and recall that we named it "Mount Gay XO Light", high praise. I loved it just as much today. Diamond's nose opened in light and lovely fashion, a combination of light spice, light vanilla and the leather we all love in good rums. The palate opened with an appropriate orange honey moving gradually into smooth leather, vanillan and a subdued smooth clove, and leaving me with a terrific lingering white pepper fade.

Pleasant, proper and classic. What happened those years ago was that Cruzan - against webwide outrage - discontinued this famous rum, to be replaced by cheepo, NAS mixers of little more than a year of age. Cruzan had decided to market against the Batshit Dingleberries and screw quality rum. Although they teased that the five year Diamond might be brought back (as a sop to the protestors), that was hard to believe and it never did. Bastards.

It is fair to say the Cruzan was perhaps the first company to truly abandon fine rum and market to the lowest common denominator. If you ever, ever see a bottle or two buy it all, or forever STFU.

Score (ten is best): Sue Sea- 9. Moi - 8.

Special Note: I want to end this with a brilliant comment made by Sue Sea, inspired by the Estate Diamond: "You have to 'listen to the rum', to be open to it, to be aware. It's like listening to the notes of music..."
bearmark
Beermeister

Thank you!

Post by bearmark »

I originally sent this as a private message to Cap'n Jimbo and planned to follow up with a post if something of interest was discovered. I wasn't expecting anything close to the effort that Jimbo and Sue undertook above. All I can say is, "Wow! Thanks a bunch! You two are great!"

After this revelation, I'm absolutely sure that I'll pass on the old bottle that I happened upon, especially a half gallon bottle that is too tall to fit in any cabinet that I have… it must be 2 feet tall! I don't know if I'm even going to try the newest bottle (last one in my original post) even at $21. Besides, there are several other interesting rum offerings out there that I need to get to from producers that are much more dedicated to the rum craft.

Thanks again, Jimbo and Sue!
Mark Hébert
Rum References: Flor de Caña 18 (Demeraran), The Scarlet Ibis (Trinidadian), R.L. Seale 10 (Barbadian), Appleton Extra (Jamaican), Ron Abuelo 12 (Cuban), Barbancourt 5-Star (Agricole)
The Black Tot
Admiral

Post by The Black Tot »

Hey guys,

I'm seeing Cruzan Diamond Estate in limited stock online at some local stores. 5yr age statement, light and dark versions.

Did they release another round of the good stuff?

Worth a look?
Hassouni
Minor God

Post by Hassouni »

Hm a shop in DC has the 5 year dark...but in the same style bottle as the current single barrel...not sure what to make of that.
The Black Tot
Admiral

Post by The Black Tot »

I'll need you guys to do the legwork on the review for this one, since I'm stranded at sea again.

At <$20 it doesn't seem like a high stakes gamble.

But please let us know when you do, I've only got a few days to send Mrs Tot out to get a bunch if it passes muster.
Capn Jimbo

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Tot - Sue Sea and I both apologize! We missed your post, just just for you I'll buy a bottle today and have it....

Personally I have zero - or less trust in Cruzan, esp. since the "new" Diamond comes in both dark mahogany and - urp - clear!? No fackin way, but for you my friend, we'll do it - at least for the "dark" 5... Stay tuned...
The Black Tot
Admiral

Post by The Black Tot »

Now THERE you go. THIS is a forum, putting the "Pro" in Project.

The website I was on didn't have the other offering as "clear" - it had "light". Hopefully it's not clear, ha.

Time will tell which one was correct.

Standing by!
The Black Tot
Admiral

Post by The Black Tot »

(So good that everyone is running around clearing the shelves before the secret gets out...?)

Capn's Log: "light" is right, sorry, I need to be more clear, er light...
mamajuana
Admiral

Post by mamajuana »

I saw a very oddly shaped bottle of Cruzan single barrel yesterday, Not any of the last four bottle shapes. It looked almost as if it were in a Whisky shaped bottle. The store had one of them along with a bunch of regular shaped bottles. After much research I have not been able to identify if there is yet again another update or if this is a very odd ball bottle. I can't find any picture matching it anywhere, I'm thinking possibly a special release or so many are given to each store.
The Black Tot
Admiral

Post by The Black Tot »

Found two bottles of the Old Estate Diamond last month. Saving them for a special occasion down the road.

Was pretty excited to know what I was looking at. Thanks, Rum Project!!!