Che's Experiment Continued: Busting Bacardi

This is the main discussion section. Grab yer cups! All hands on deck!
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Che's Experiment Continued: Busting Bacardi

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Tougher than you'd think...

As regular readers know, Che delivered a tremendous analysis of the actual effects of adding sugar to rum, a nearly universal unlabelled practice. Here's the link again:

http://rumproject.com/rumforum/viewtopic.php?p=3819

Indeed this experiment was especially worthwhile in that Che compared the effects of added sugar on both Havana Club Blanco - and - Seales 10. The three impressive points he demonstrated were first, that even as little as 1 gram per liter is noticeable (!); second, that a new and harsh rum can be made quite palatable (if less interesting) but third and perhaps most important, that a fine rum can be ruined by the addition of sugar.

This is exactly why most of us reject unlabelled adulteration of rums.

Why again, and why Barcardi?

In the original discussion leading up to the experiment, it was noted that in addition to being one of the prime abusers of industrial rum, they are also noted for their flagship product - Bacardi Superior - perhaps the only rum they produce that does NOT contain any sugar at all. This no doubt to achieve minimum cost and maximum profitabliity for a rum sold in absolutely massive quantities and destined solely to be hidden in mixed drinks.

However - and to his credit - Che refused to come even near a bottle of it. Fortunately I am far less ethical, er far more brave, and decided to take one for the team and attempt to revisit Che's pioneering work with the Devil Drink itself.

But it's not so easy!

Like all good scientists and until he patents his exact method, Che did not reveal his formula. What he did say was this:
"I decided to use Havana Club Anejo Blanco (don't own Bacardi and am not going to change that) as an example for pure white rum. Seales 10 Years will have to stand fast in face of my terror as it's the only rum I'm certainly sure has no relevant additives to begin with.

The sugar syrup was produced by creating a 50/50 solution of sugar and water and heating things up. The resulting liquid was brought up to 86 proof with a rare vodka of my girlfriend’s parents (otherwise the addition of sugar would’ve meant the reduction of alcohol at the same time – which is rather problematic). The rums were poured into my tasting glasses until 4cl were reached. Then the syrup was added with a clinical injection. I used a labor scale sponsored by my girlfriend (she is biologist) to adjust the further addition of syrup after I took my sips… so from a scientific point of view we should be all clear."
My only concern: that depending on the amount added, that adding alcohol (in the form of vodka) might dilute the "rum" effect (although it would maintain the proof). Let's see...

On my first rough attempt here's what I devised...

1. One liter = 1000ml. One shot = 30ml or 3%

2. Four ounces of sugar = 113 grams, to be mixed 1 cup of water (or 236 ml). A terrific food converter is (here).

3. Although we'd already covered a formula for diluting an overproof (here), adding alcohol to water is another matter. Fortunately da'Rum came to the rescue with a great link to Home Distillers handy online calculator for doing so (here).

According to this I will be able to add 264 ml 75.5% Graves grain alcohol to the 236 ml of sugar/water syrup = 500ml of sugar solution at 40% (80 proof).
Thus 500 ml of solution/113 grams of sugar = 4.42 ml per gram. To add 1 gram per liter to a shot (30 ml), the amount to add would be 4.42ml x 3% = 0.13 ml.

This - finally - seems possible, as a diabetic's 1ml syringe can easily measure this amount fairly accurately. And good news! The amount added - just a tenth of an ml - should have minimal dilution effect but will add the prescribed sugar. Che is the man!

BTW, a review of the protocol and calculations by minds sharper than mine will be welcomed. I'd hate to have to do this again...
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Post by Capn Jimbo »

For anyone who wishes to duplicate Che...

You'll need:

1. Ordinary white table sugar, 2 oz
2. Distilled water, 1/2 cup
3. Graves Grain Alcohol, 75.5%, 128 ml.
4. An marked glass measuring cup
5. A 1ml syringe (marked off in 100th's of an ml)
6. "Rum" of your choice, preferably Bacardi Superior which is known to be free of sugar, or Che's Havana Club Blanco at "<3g"/liter. Or see what sugar does to a fine pure rum like Seale's.

First I simply poured the sugar into a stainless cooking pot, added the water and stirrred for awhile until most of the sugar dissolved. Near the end, I added a bit of heat, but not much and well short of boiling, just hot to dissolve the remaining sugar. Added the alcohol, mixed again and stored in one of Sue Sea's new canning jars.

BTW, this was exactly half the original formula above because only very tiny amounts of the finished solution will be used and I really didn't want to waste the Graves, which was well used before to create Capn Jimbo's Compleatly Idiotic Vodka, and will be again.

To run your test your formula will be 0.13ml of test solution per gram to 1 shot (30ml) of rum. Thus:

1gm = 0.13ml
3gm = 0.39ml
5gm = 0.68ml
10g = 1.3ml
15g = 1.95ml
30g = 3.9ml
40g = 5.2ml
50g = 6.8ml

Now that I see the amounts, I'm having a bit of concern for amounts added for 30-40-50g. At 50g this is like adding a bit over 1/2 tsp of water (not terrible) bu I'm considering doubling the amount of sugar so as to require half these amounts. Need to first buy a syringe to see whether the smallest amount (which would be .07 (7 one-hundredths) can be drawn accurately enough. TBC...

Thoughts anyone?
da'rum
Minor God

Post by da'rum »

Thoughts anyone?
Yep, overkill. Effort versus outcome Jimbo. You'll get a fairly good idea of the effects of sugar but merely doing it like Che did. I don't see the benefit of going into so much detail.[/i]
in goes your eye out
Guevara88
Bo'sun's Mate

Post by Guevara88 »

Nevertheless the change can be identified in different products much more easily once you tried it yourself. I am confident to say that after realising what the effect of sugar tastes like I am much more able to identify added sugar in rum and possibly even make a rough prediction about the amount.

Furthermore a similar effect to Havana Blanco would indicate that literally any spirit can be transformed into "such smooth - very sweet - the toffee"-stuff.

Perhaps I'll test it someday with 4 bucks discounter stuff :roll:

Capn's Log: to learn to better identify added sugar (probably the most common adulterant) is a tremendous and I'd say necessary skill that Sue Sea and I hope to remedy. We'll try for this weekend (keeping in mind she's still recovering from her concussion).