Hype: Burr and Bryant Review Zafra 21 - or do they?

This is the main discussion section. Grab yer cups! All hands on deck!
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Hype: Burr and Bryant Review Zafra 21 - or do they?

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Are you ready for a rum butt full?

When we first became interested in rum tasting - and knowing less than nothing - of course we scoured the net for guidance and reviews. Trusting souls that we are, we took these reviews at apparent face value and took it for granted that their recommendations were skilled personal opinions.

If you take this approach, sooner or later you'll run into the big three: The Ministry of Rum, Robert Burr's Rum Examiner and The Polished Palate. All commercial rum websites that feature so-called rum competitions and what appear to be rum reviews. All compete viciously to become known as the web's resident expert on rums.

The Preacher, the self-designated Queen of Rum and the soon to be infamous Burr Brothers.

Inexperienced rum drinkers flock to these sites for advice and recommendations. Truth is, they all fall victim to the usual promoter-based, "it's all good" attitudes. To his credit the Preacher shills in his own rum-sotted words. But how about Burr and Bryant?

Let's compare Burr and Bryant with their reviews of the new hot product, Zafra Master Reserve 21 Year (brought to you by the same boys who marketed Zacapa 23 so well).

First, the Burr Brothers...
Burr:

Light up a Churchill, spin some Valdeze Bebo & sip back with a pour of the new Zafra Master Reserve Rum.

Francisco "Pancho" Fernandez Perez, Master Distiller, has an illustrious history of creating among the worlds' best rums. His new Zafra is only new to US shores as this rum has been 21 years in the making.

Aged in Bourbon barrels, the color is a burnished bronze. The aroma offers hints of toasted caramel, chocolate and butterscotch. And, it delivers on that promise. The more it sits, you'll find hints of black cherry and praline.

This is not a robust rum, rather, one that languidly moves forward like a well-played romance, as its finish lingers with several encore performances. Zafra is a well-structured and well-balanced rum with a healthy dose of sophistication.
Just his opinion. Let's see what the Rum Queen thinks...
Bryant:

The first thing you notice about Zafra, after noting the classically elegant packaging, is the brilliant amber/red sunset in the bottle. The color is burnished bronze, a color I most expect to see in my Bourbons, the barrels in which this rum is aged.

21 years in the making, Master Distiller Pancho Fernandez has done it again; he’s created a masterpiece.

Nosing a spirit offers the promise of what’s in the glass. Oftentimes, however, once one sips, the check in not in the mail. Not so with this rum. Zafra promises a light entry of deep & toasty caramel & chocolate with hints of butterscotch in the midst, ending with an angel’s touch of sweet. It’s not robust, rather, the flavor just keeps languidly moving forward, like a well-played romance.

Toss in a drop of water and Zafra stays true to its flavor. Playfully, it teases with hints of black cherry. The more it sits (not that this is a feat I’d be able to accomplish), enter elements of praline and reminiscence of mint.

But the best is yet to come. This rum lingers; in fact, it gives several encore performances; you just don’t know when to stand up, yell !BRAVO! and take your leave.

Zafra is well-structured & well-balanced with a healthy dose of sophistication.

Get out the backgammon board, light a Churchill, play some ‘Bebo Valdez Live at the Village Vanguard’, pour some Zafra and revel in the moment. You won’t care in the least if your opponent wins 5-0!
Boy, what great reviews! It's so nice to get two different viewpoints. Kinda makes me wanna turn down the lights, fire up a Churchill, play a little Bebo Valdez (or Valdeze Bebo in the case of Burr, lol) and enjoy a rum that languidly moves forward like a well-played romance - with Sue Sea of course, lol.

I'm sorry.

I simply couldn't resist. It's obvious these two "reviews" by these two promoters share more than the inspiration of the Zafra 21. Both of these "experts" simply borrowed from the same overdone PR release from Dana Imports:
Dana Imports (the importer and real authors):

"...light up a Churchill... play Bebo Valdez... develops like a well-played romance... color of burnished bronze... tastes of caramel, chocolate and butterscotch... black cherry and praline... well-structured and well-balanced...". You get the idea.
Straight from the former Zacapa marketing boyz over at Dana Importers, who are apparently also the founders and creators of this new marketing scheme, er rum. And boy do they know how to write. If you think the Burr and Bryant are effluvient, just check out their prose for Zafra.

Typical bullshit and a rum butt full of it, sorry guys. I actually like you both, but have you no shame? You know what really bothers me? No doubt the distributor included a bottle or two of this "master elixir" - typical freebies - and I'd bet dollars to drams that both had a chance to actually drink and taste the damn stuff.

A real shame, and especially that unsuspecting drinkers will fall victim to what should be some pretty obvious hype anyway. So what does this mean for you - the clueless new rum drinker?

Simple. Don't trust the commercial websites. At all.

Check our review here, or those of Bilgemunkey, the Count (Silvio), maybe the Dood or Scotte. Even Chip Dykstra. These are all independent, non-commercial, relatively honest and independent individuals. Yes, we all have accepted a freebie here and there, but no one owns our collective asses. Try also the relatively independent reviews and scores over at the Beverage Tasting Institute.

All are linked at the main website (click on the frog, top of page)

We don't sell out, we don't promote faux "rum competitions" and we are wholly non-dependent on maintaining butt kissing relationships with the distillers and distributors. Unlike the Big Three.

Now of course we do intend to request a bottle of the overhyped "Zafra" (which will likely be refused), but - as usual - will be forced to buy one, like we have for all but one of our 117 reviews. But then, and only then...

You'll get an honest review, not a regurgitation...