BJ: the real story of Havana Club

This is the main discussion section. Grab yer cups! All hands on deck!

Which is the real "Havana Club"?

The original "Havana Club" made in Cuba since 1938.
89%
Bacardi's Puerto Rican made "Havana Club".
11%

Total votes: 9

Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

BJ: the real story of Havana Club

Post by Capn Jimbo »

The US District Court of Appeals decided to stay confused...

Compare...
Bacardi: "Bacardi USA, Inc. today applauds the US Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit for its unanimous decision in favor of Bacardi in connection with its packaging and marketing of Havana Club rum in the US."
Pernod: "Pernod Ricard USA pledged to continue to fight against a competitor’s use of the 'Havana Club' name in the US for non-Cuban rum following today’s controversial ruling by a three-judge panel of the US Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit."
Who's right? Pernod, and I'll tell you why.

Monkey Alert: Caution! The following is full of big words and myth busting legal history. Havabanana!

Here we go:

1. Havana Club is an authentic Cuban rum, made in Santa Cruz del Norte, Cuba. The Arechabala family created "Havana Club" rum in 1935 in Cuba and subsequently sold their rum in Spain and other countries. In 1959, the Arechabala’s Havana Club brand and other assets were nationalized by the Cuban government.

2. The Arechabala family then moved to Spain, left the rum business and later emigrated to the United States. Now read this, and read this twice: The family allowed their US Trademark to expire in 1973. I'll say it again:

In 1973 the Arechabala family allowed the Havna Club trademark to expire.

BTW, renewal is a very simple, very inexpensive process. The family was fully aware of the trademark and simply chose to let it go, as they had been out of the rum business for nearly fifteen years.

3. Some years later Pernod Richards of France, in a 50/50 deal with Cuba acquired the trademark. This process was completely legal at that time. Bacardi went batshit, fearful that if and when the embargo ended, Cuba might decide to enter the US market and pose legitimate and serious competition.

4. Barcardi then went to bed with Tom Delay, who for a very cheap $20,000 took steps that led to the introduction of what came to be known as the "Bacardi Bill", which simply stated that any company that had been, in Bacardi's terms "...confiscated without compensation", could not renew a US trademark. This provision, aka Section 211, was slipped into a much larger bill and passed in 1998.

Of course this legislation was nothing more or less than a sellout aimed at allowing Bacardi to renew the Cuban acquired trademark when it expired. The second thing Bacardi did was to "buy" in 1977 what were non-existant "rights" to the expired trademark from the Arachabala family, who were obviously pleased to be paid for nothing.

5. Then when the Cuban US trademark expired and renewal denied under section 211 (the "Bacardi Bill), Bacardi immediately renewed it and produced what they called "Havana Club", which they promoted as being produced under the Arechabala family formula, as the bottle proclaims "Developed in Cuba circa 1930".

Those who have tasted both find the Bacardi ripoff lacking. Bacardi's version was released in Florida, where it sells poorly.

6. Over the years many lawsuits have been filed worldwide with the result that Pernod Richards has won worldwide - except in the United States. Most impressively, the WTO (World Trade Organization) published a decision ordering the United States to eliminate the 211 provision, which the WTO finds offensive and in contradiction of worldwide patent and trademark protection.

7. The latest US decision is hardly a victory for Bacardi, for while it allows them to use the name "Havana Club", it does so only as the bottle states "Made in Puerto Rico", and found that as such, the rum could not be confused with being made it Cuba. The decision did NOT address who actually owns the trademark. Pernod Richard's survey - that showed that about a fifth of the respondents still believed that Bacardi's "Havana Club" was made in Cuba - was not allowed.

The decision was 2-to-1, with a strong dissent that noted that confusion was entirely possible. Most importantly the decision did NOT give Bacardi the trademark rights to "Havana Club".

Bottom line:

1. Cuba (and Pernod Richards) obtained the abandoned trademark legally in the United States, recognized internationally.

2. The 211 provision (aka the "Bacardi Bill") was literally slipped in to a large bill by Connie Mack of Florida (where else), as lobbied by the infamous Tom Delay, for a reported fee of $20,000.

6. Following this was a series of lawsuits, all won by Pernod Richards and Cuba worldwide, except in the United States, where Bacardi's position continues to deteriorate.
da'rum
Minor God

Post by da'rum »

How did I miss this?

Thanks for the clear write up. That was a good read.
in goes your eye out
Dai
Minor God

Post by Dai »

Good info on the current dirty under handed tricks by Bacardi.
Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect!

My Link to Save Caribbean Rum Petition
JaRiMi
Admiral

Post by JaRiMi »

It gets very political always when speaking of things Cuban and things USA - sadly so.

I think USA would do well to end the embargo, but there's a lot of money, blood and political dislike and disputes stopping this. Meanwhile, the rest of the world like us here in the North get to enjoy Havana Club - is it so magical as some American friends of mine believe it to be? Not really...

One of the main ways for Soviet Union to support their buddies in Cuba was to buy their sugar produce for a 7 - 10 times market price. That stopped as the Soviet's themselves collapsed, and Putin has not (yet) started this back. Rumours say sugar cultivation is Cuba is not doing so well, and that P-R has had to buy cane from elsewhere to feed the global demand for rum even (no idea if this is true).

Eidt: Sorry, voted wrong accidentally :-{
Hassouni
Minor God

Post by Hassouni »

If it makes you feel better, the current edition of the Economist has a piece on the the fair likelihood of the US at minimum easing the embargo....
sleepy
King of Koffee

Post by sleepy »

I beg to differ JaRiMi. Havana Club 7 is easily among my favorite 5 rums. I delightful complexity above a gentle dunder. Unless my illicit supply is running low, I will certainly reach for it before the current MGXO (what I wouldn't give for a case of the old, classic bottle MGXO that Sue and Jimbo so rhapsodize - it was that good!)

On the sanctions front, it is unfortunate that Jimbo's home state is the home, not only to all of the nuts and crooks that rattle down from the north, but also a rabid anti-Castro Cuban ex-pat community. The political power of our third largest state (population) can only be neglected at great risk.
Hassouni
Minor God

Post by Hassouni »

Not to ring the same bell, but I suspect HC7 has some sugar in it too.
sleepy
King of Koffee

Post by sleepy »

True, but at about the same low level as Appleton Extra 12. Pussers for example, is far sweeter, yet still held forth as a paragon of rum style.
JaRiMi
Admiral

Post by JaRiMi »

sleepy wrote:I beg to differ JaRiMi. Havana Club 7 is easily among my favorite 5 rums. I delightful complexity above a gentle dunder. Unless my illicit supply is running low, I will certainly reach for it before the current MGXO (what I wouldn't give for a case of the old, classic bottle MGXO that Sue and Jimbo so rhapsodize - it was that good!)

On the sanctions front, it is unfortunate that Jimbo's home state is the home, not only to all of the nuts and crooks that rattle down from the north, but also a rabid anti-Castro Cuban ex-pat community. The political power of our third largest state (population) can only be neglected at great risk.
Havana club 7 is not one of my personal favorites, but this is a matter of taste, of course. According to the Finnish Alko labs, there is about 6 grams of sugar per litre - not a large amount, but certainly noticeable.

I suspect that the "traditional Hispanic production methods" they often refer to also mean there is essences in the game for creating the flavour - as there is in Matusalem, for example (and most likely Bacardi too, to mention a few). The family tree of Hispanic rums would suggest this, since they pretty much copied methodology from Spanish brandy making in the days, and the post-colonial legislation for spirit-making followed the Spanish laws of 19th century. I cannot prove this, of course, but tasting a non-essence flavoured Cuban rum from the cask, made at Sancti Spiritus distillery, and comparing it to the P-R Havana Club certainly raises eysbrows - and questions.

Havana club uses column stills, not pot stills. They make millions of litres of rum with this equipment. Has anyone seen the stills? How big is their capacity today?

I personally suggest that flavouring, as well as added sugar, is DEFINITELY used - and one can taste this also. The sugar content gets lower towards the high-end bottles, and is zero with Maximo for example - which is a wonderful thing.

Again - I am not saying that this is an awful rum - only that I suspect it to be tampered, and that the sweet style it represents is not my cuppa tea personally.
Guevara88
Bo'sun's Mate

Post by Guevara88 »

The upside of the original Havana Club rum is that it provides a decent mass market alternative to Bacardi. I know lots of people who are not ready to invest too much money or time into the spirits for their next party/dinner etc. - Havana Club 3 Anos and Blanco provide enjoyable rums who live up to the name.

Bacardi does not. And they have the same price and are both available in normal grocery shops in Germany.

Apart from that the US embargo for Cuba should be cancelled simply because it is a relic from the cold war. One should accept that in the past 50 years the US backed states and groups far worse than Cuba whose main "deed" was to be ally of the Soviet Union. Then again China was too at some point... perhaps we should embargo them :lol:
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Too bad you don't have Total Wine & Spirits there...

" I know lots of people who are not ready to invest too much money or time into the spirits for their next party/dinner etc. - Havana Club 3 Anos and Blanco provide enjoyable rums who live up to the name. "
True enough, and I couldn't agree with you more about the embargo, though I will advise you not to express that opinion in south Florida, and especially Miami. I honestly feel that free travel and access and the meeting of people and cultures is much more likely to change minds and hearts than punishing embargos that hurt people on both "sides" of the pond.

But I digress. At least here in the states, the Seales products (and there are many) are carried in depth by Total and are available at extremely low prices, far less than they are worth. In another thread there was appropriate speculation about whether (a) Total is the Devil or (b) widespread distribution and easy and affordable access will expose more people to real and pure rum.

We certainly can't be sure, but I'm going with the latter. I could not possibly have promoted Seale's and their fine practices any harder or longer, but it's only because these are honest, pure, worthwhile and a truly amazing value. Try Doorly's White, 1.75l for just $19.95. That's only $2 more than Batshit Superior Blanco.