Honor: Brinley's recognizes the Capn

This is the main discussion section. Grab yer cups! All hands on deck!
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Honor: Brinley's recognizes the Capn

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Just another day in Paradise...
Zack Brinley: Hi Jim. Thanks so much for the note and for your support of our rum! "Capn Jimbo's... Rum Project" is a very very cool site and rum source!

By now you are aware that I often confront distillers with my usual questions about additives - does their "rum" contain artificial or natural flavors, sugar, caramel (not coloring) or worse? Most wise distillers/marketers know when to shut up. Heaven forbid the peeps actually know what they're drinking.

But a few honest distillers, especially those who have nothing to hide are quite forthright and informative. These include Richard Seale, The Lash, and a few others.

And now, Brinley.

I emailed Brinley with the following question:
Hi, and congratulations on your new Shipwreck. At The Rum Project - perhaps the web's largest independent, non-commercial rum website - your Brinley Rums have always been some of our favorites.

My question:

Your website states that Shipwrecked contains "...natural orange, vanilla, nutmeg, clove and other spices" - does this mean that these components are entirely natural in the sense that the actual spice or fruit is used/infused, or do you use either natural and/or artificial flavorings/spices?
Fair question. and notice that, as always, we did not request a freebie. To my great surprise I received a reply - not from the usual, short-skirted flack - but from Zack Brinley. How bout dat! I quote:
Zack Brinley: We are using natural extracts for our vanilla and orange and natural nutmeg. We are not physically infusing the vanilla bean or orange pulps or nutmeg in St Kitts but have a natural flavor group that perfects each batch of flavor and gives us a large batch of pre-blended extract / flavor.

This helps keeps the consistency of each small batch tasting and looking the same. Although, from time to time, I have seen some spice sediment in the bottom of our bottles. It's a delicate balance of filtering the final product, but keeping the flavor in the bottle! .. Hope this answers your question.
So... did he answer the question? You bet yer butt, he did. Brinley's uses pre-blended extract/flavor from natural extracts from vanilla, orange and nutmeg. In sum, Brinley uses natural extracts, and adds them in a fashion to preserve their consistency.

Another note: Brinley makes clear that some of the bottles do retain a bit of sediment, as too scrupulous filtering might "affect the flavor". I love these guys, and without prejudice can say we have raved over every Brinley's Gold product we've experienced - the Coffee, Vanilla and Shipwreck. Next up...

Coconut. Stay tuned...
NCyankee
Admiral

Post by NCyankee »

I hope the coconut and mango are good, I just ordered bottles of them both from Shopper's vineyard when they had a free shipping special yesterday.

I almost find the coffee and vanilla rums to be liqueur-like.

Capn's Log: Yup, the coffee and vanilla really are liquer-like and simply delicious. Personally, and although I really am not a flavored rum fan, I do like a great coffee rum. This due to the fact that my family was in the coffee roasting business, and I have a lifelong appreciation of Columbia Supremo coffee.

One of the best is Ron Santero - a seven year rum flavored with Columbian coffee. Doesn't get any better than that!
NCyankee
Admiral

Post by NCyankee »

I was wondering if you had ever tried Santa Teresa Araku Coffee Rum Liqueur ? I almost ordered it with that last order, $23 from Shoppers Vineyard, but I had to pare down my cart in some ways and that was one I cut.

Capn's Log: Never have, but I can tell you that the Sant Teresa rums are very well made, well-balanced and enjoyable - surely would make a fine base for a coffee rum.
NCyankee
Admiral

Post by NCyankee »

Just cracked my bottle of Brinley's coconut. I like it. Mango is next (but not today).