Gag me with a spoon Dept: Rum, the noble spirit?

This is the main discussion section. Grab yer cups! All hands on deck!
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Gag me with a spoon Dept: Rum, the noble spirit?

Post by Capn Jimbo »

C'mon, we all know rogue rum is anything but...

...noble. This all started quite some years ago when the self-serving Prophet, the Preacher, entitled his commercial website with the phrase "Rum... the noble spirit!". Back then, many of us were relative dummies, or in my case an idiot and bought into that lie until many bottles later, most of us came to know the truth of rogue rum and its unlabeled additives, coloring, glycerol, sugar, wine, artificial flavors and the like.

Fortunately the word got out and today, few indeed are buying that load of moose droppings. Until this month when my friend Luis Ayala in his monthly "Got Rum" e-magazine, issue for now, November 2014:
http://www.gotrum.com/downloads/718/dow ... er2014.pdf
"Merriam-Webster’s dictionary defines nobility as: “Noun: the quality or state of being noble in character or quality.” some of its synonyms are: virtue, goodness, honor, decency, integrity; magnanimity, generosity and selflessness

Rum has often been referred to as “The noble spirit.”

It is unclear who coined the term, but it has been around for centuries. But why is it, a noble spirit?
Are there other distillates that can also be considered noble? It is my view that only spirits distilled from fruits and plants with high natural levels of sucrose (like sugarcane) can be considered “ noble,” since their sugars are readily fermentable. Grain, potato and agave spirits, for example, must undergo a starch conversion process before there are simple sugars that can be fermented by yeast."
Now let it be known that I respect Luis whose seminal work well preceeded that of the Preacher, and who self-published a lovely 8-1/2 x 11 book called "The Rum Experience". Luis is well aware of the defamation of rum; in our private communications - like the Count - he is fully supportive of our work against the unlabelled alteration of rum. But also like the Count, due to his rum consulting and promoting work, he too fails to publicly walk the walk, as should be perfectly evident from this nutty article.

I need not argue that rum is anything but a noble spirit, which title is unequivocally owned by wine based on a selected number of "noble grapes". As a fun comparison though, I thought a simple test of Ayala's ridiculous claim would be a simple search engine comparison, searching for "noble wine", then "noble whiskey", et al.

The results, number of returns:

Whisk(e)y: 5,550,000
Wine: 3,860,000
Grape: 1,880,000
Rum: 1,220,000
Vodka: 732,000
Cognac: 330,000

Needless to say, with the exception of "noble grapes", the descriptor "noble" is really more of a marketing word. I have written Luis regarding his novel theory that noble spirits refers to spirits made from self-fermenting fruits high in natural sucrose (that don't require malting).

http://www.gotrum.com/downloads/718/dow ... er2014.pdf
The Black Tot
Admiral

Post by The Black Tot »

Noble, indeed :)

I was trying to think of what might be a better adjective.

Rogue really is hard, and probably impossible, to beat.

It strikes me as:
the spirit of skullduggery
the swagger spirit
the nectar of rebellion
the explorer's spirit

Still, from another perspective, I find it almost innately roguish to be calling it noble when everyone who knows, knows that it isn't.

It is just like rum to be cleverly and shamelessly scamming its way into the presence of nobility, for its own advantage. There is a very roguish subterfuge about the very concept itself, which does make me smirk. And I do value that which makes me smirk.

Capn's Log: A noble thought, lol...
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Post by Capn Jimbo »

To Luis' great credit...

...he responded to my email asking him to justify his statement: that "noble" spirits are those made from nature's bounty than in and of themselves contain enough inherent sugar to be able to be directly fermented and distilled. Well to be fair, he didn't quite defend that position, but he DID have the courtesy to reply, to wit:
"In the September issue of the magazine I state that "It is my view that only spirits distilled from fruits and plants with high natural levels of sucrose (like sugarcane) can be considered 'Noble,' since their sugars are readily fermentable."

The earliest appearance of the term "noble" that I can find, used when talking about sugarcane or rum dates back to 1785:

...the praise of "the noblest of plants, the sugar-cane" is sung by a West Indian planter, J. G. Kemays, in "Free and Candid Reflections occasioned by the Duties on Sugar and Rum."

As time allows I'll dig for more, maybe older references and will send them to you.

Cheers!

Luis
I was impressed. He'd said he was busy (which usually means not now, now ever) and that he'd get back to me... and he did. And will add more resources later, it appears. Bravo!

Back around the tree...

Corn, wheat, rye and barley can be directly mashed and fermented, as can molasses or sugar cane juice - so all are "noble"? Yet the one product that is very hard not to refer to as "noble" - single malt whiskys - do require the malting of the grain as an intermediate step in gaining the sugar for fermentation.

Thus single malt whisky would NOT be "noble" while corn whiskey would? I'll say it again, I am yet to find any source that like grapes - which has identified "noble" varieties - that definitively states that certain varieties of cane (or all can in Ayala's view) are "noble".

Would someone please correct me as appropriate?