Appleton 12yr "Rare Blend"

This is the main discussion section. Grab yer cups! All hands on deck!
The Black Tot
Admiral

Appleton 12yr "Rare Blend"

Post by The Black Tot »

Hey guys,

I know many of you guys are fond of the Appleton on here. Is this something to get excited about? Thought I'd give the forum some heads up.

https://www.ttbonline.gov/colasonline/v ... 7001000338
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Seems this label was approved just a few days ago, so I'd have to guess release will not be long off - but - I've heard not a word. With the name "Rare Blend" it sounds like an expensive premiumized limited edition though...
The Black Tot
Admiral

Post by The Black Tot »

Yes I agree it will be higher priced. But it's not a hyperaged one, might only be a few dollars more. That's why I thought you guys might like to know.

I did a search and there doesn't seem to have been a pre-announcement.

Well, ya heard it here first!
Blade Rummer
Quartermaster

Post by Blade Rummer »

Interesting find! Could it be a new blend to sit between the 12 and the 21, since they seem to have discontinued the Master Blender's Legacy?
mamajuana
Admiral

Post by mamajuana »

Lets just hope something more negative is not on the horizon. The Appleton 21 blend is constantly referred to as "a rare blend." Lets hope that this rare blend does not replace this age statement bottling. I have noticed the price increase on the 21 dramatically recently as well as it selling out quickly in some areas even at a much over priced asking cost. May I ask why based on the TTB info you state this as 12 year in the topic posting?
The Black Tot
Admiral

Post by The Black Tot »

You haven't found the link on the TTB page marked "printable version" yet, have you? ;) Click it and let all be revealed...
mamajuana
Admiral

Post by mamajuana »

Wow, thanks for the info. That website is treasure trove of information. I wish I knew about it a long time ago. I must have just spent an hour on it Looks like there is a lot to look forward to including 2 new mount gay rums.
Dai
Minor God

Post by Dai »

Hmm rare blend! I wonder how rare this is really going to be. Can't wait to hear the bullshit marketing on it. As mamajuana stated I HOPE THIS IS NOT A WAY TO JACK THE PRICE OF THE 12 UP! Nothing would surprise me though.
Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect!

My Link to Save Caribbean Rum Petition
Mrspragoo
Cabin Boy

Post by Mrspragoo »

I wonder if they will be changing the bottle from screwcap to cork like that recently did for the 21 year.
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Yes, although I've long used the COLA search, I learned something new, thanks. The label:

. . . . . . .Image

As many of you know I spent many years in marketing and ad design. From time to time, the marketing boyz will convince top management that a makeover will create new attention, interest and sales.

Sometime this is done simply for a facelift; other times - as Dai noted - its an attempt to "premiumize" a rum. As far as rum goes, and due to our widely split economy (the 0.1% and the rest of us suffering), the mega's have been busy creating two classes of products: the lower price monkey dropping that now occupy 90% of shelf space, and a limited number of "premium" and "super-premium" releases for the few who can afford them.

Mount Gay tried to premiumize their whole line, and it failed, as they threw away a classic look that evolved for nearly 300 years. What fools, and now the company is failing. The really good spirit is being removed from MGXO and saved for the super-premium 1703.

Appleton is the other huge name that remains pure and very Jamaican, and any real changes there will be devastating.

My impression

The label is nice, and properly reflects the history - it's just different enough to attract attention without throwing away history like MG did. The real proof will be if they retain their old and classic bottle shape, which were wonderful.

But there's a part of me - the one that knows that "premiumization" is now a massive trend - that fears this means a price increase in the now "rare" 12 year old. My guess: Appleton "Extra" - the 12 year we know - gets downgraded like MGXO, while the new "Rare Blend 12" gets the better spirit, but at a notable higher price.

Why do I say that? Please note the important descriptor "Extra" does NOT appear on the label. This to me raises my personal neck hairs...

big and important question...
Dai
Minor God

Post by Dai »

Personally I'm not fused on new labels or bottles it's what they do with the spirit inside and what price they charge for it that concerns me.

Blade Rummer
Quartermaster

Post by Blade Rummer »

I'm hoping this is just a facelift with no real difference to either the blend in the bottle or the price at the cash. However, if they were simply changing the label of the 12 yo, it would stand to reason they would also redo the label on the entire line up, from the VX to the 30 yo, no? Any chance this is just a limited edition, alternate 12 yo blend? Probably not, but I can hope.

I actually think the new label is nice, but I really don't want any changes to one of my favorite rums.
Dai
Minor God

Post by Dai »

It's going to be interesting to see how this plays out Jimbo.

The Black Tot
Admiral

Post by The Black Tot »

http://www.thespiritsbusiness.com/2014/ ... in-2015/3/

"Appleton Estate Rum launched its first major new marketing campaign in the US this year since Gruppo Campari bought the brand in 2013 for US$20m. It hopes to convey the provenance of the rum brand to consumers, who are increasingly holding brand provenance and heritage in high esteem."