Rums of St. Lucia

This is the main discussion section. Grab yer cups! All hands on deck!
The Fat Rum Pirate
Quartermaster

Post by The Fat Rum Pirate »

mamajuana wrote:I'm going to St. Lucia for a week and a half in December this year. I'll be hitting up the distillery also as where I'm staying is about 15 min away.

The St. Lucia products are not to be seen in this part of NY not even the standard chairman's products. I have had to get all St Lucia rum out of state.
If you look on their site Mama they have all manner of "stackable" options of different rums and Bounty is something which doesn't seem to leave St Lucia.

I'd buy as much as you can bring back from that distillery. It is probably the most underrated one in the Caribbean.
Hassouni
Minor God

Post by Hassouni »

The Fat Rum Pirate wrote: It is probably the most underrated one in the Caribbean.
That's the impression I'm starting to get. My local Rumporium seemingly has the entire exported line up, as well as a Blackadder Bottling, hence my curiosity
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Underrated?

Perhaps not much rated at all. The St. Lucia operation is really not all that special. Their main still was a modest, all copper, classic (two-retort) still, with a copper tube condenser. Old but serviceable, and no different than say the Jamaican classics of the same age and quite common. Later they added a small two column still (probably a Coffey patent type) not necessarily for rum alone, but to allow production of other spirits (eg vodka). Last is a lovely newish Vendome copper pot. No one really knows the master distiller, and any reputation is yet to be really earned beyond the usual romance of a small Caribbean island rum distiller.

. . . . . . .Image
...(the old, small, well-used classic rum still)

The good news is that whatever is distilled here is either a batch or Coffey product. But as far as underrated? I'm not aware that their rums have much of a special reputation at all, though one must always respect any pot stilled product. It's my impression that the idea of being underrated may be more related to the very limited availabilty of their products (most of which are destined for local consumption). Truth be told, until about 2008 the largest selling rum in St. Lucia was Barbadian. In my opinion, they have yet to develop an identity or specialty.
AK9
Cap'n

Post by AK9 »

_
Last edited by AK9 on Fri Sep 11, 2015 4:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
AK9
Cap'n

Post by AK9 »

Hassouni wrote:
The Fat Rum Pirate wrote: It is probably the most underrated one in the Caribbean.
That's the impression I'm starting to get. My local Rumporium seemingly has the entire exported line up, as well as a Blackadder Bottling, hence my curiosity
Is this the Blackadder bottling?

http://barrel-aged-mind.blogspot.de/201 ... a-rum.html
Hassouni
Minor God

Post by Hassouni »

Could be