Merry Christmas

This is the main discussion section. Grab yer cups! All hands on deck!
Dai
Minor God

Merry Christmas

Post by Dai »

Just popped in to say merry Christmas to every one. May the rum flow freely, Don't get too drunk.
Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect!

My Link to Save Caribbean Rum Petition
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Post by Capn Jimbo »

And the same to you Dai. Let's all thank our blessings whatever they may be for each of us.

For us, Sue Sea has quite the extended family, so all of us cook and bring something to the get together.

For Sue Sea that's a Mediteranean salad made with tabouli, quinoa, lightly sauted sweet onions, chopped ripe tomato and curly parsley, Greek spices and topped with a pungent Greek first press olive oil, lemon juice and vinegar. For moi it's my famous Key Lime pie made with real Key West limes (they are small and yellow/brown), non-fat sweetened condensed milk, and a couple eggs, baked and served in a nice graham cracker crust.

The combination of sweet and Key lime tartness is to die for, but this year something came over me and I tossed in a couple shots of Pussers. Oh, plus 4 of my made from scratch French baguettes (for SS's Med salad).

Enjoy the holidays, and thanks...
Bearman
Cabin Boy

A little too late..

Post by Bearman »

Merry Christmas and while we're at it happy New Year. As always I'll be true to Danish tradition and spend the next few days binge- eating and drinking schnaps with my family :) As well as Dai I hope that your future may contain all the liquid merriment you can handle.
da'rum
Minor God

Post by da'rum »

Merry Christmas, was a Barbancourt followed by J Wray Christmas for me.
in goes your eye out
Hassouni
Minor God

Post by Hassouni »

And for me not rum at all - Highland Park 18 and Aberlour A'bunadh. The last is a real cracker.

I did give my friend a bottle of Pusser's, though!
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Some mighty nice rums - and a couple equally interesting whiskies...

Although we have the Highland 12, it seems accepted that the 18 is extremely well respected by experienced tasters. Although normally Christmas Day is a big family day, following a long and very social Eve, we decided to simply stay home, relax, watch a few good movies and yup, enjoy ourselves.

We'd had a Pussers or two when Sue Sea happened to notice an old mini of Sea Wynde and noting its sourcing from Jamaica and Guyana, she simply wouldn't leave me alone until I agreed we should crack it open.

Sea Wynde is far better than we remembered...

We'd reviewed Sea Wynde very, very long ago and we first scored it as a marginal 8. On a second trip we appreciated it more, resulting in a solid 8. And frankly, if this were an actual review a "9" might be in order.

What's really changing here? It's obviously not the rum but the bottle operators, who have over time come to more and more appreciate purity and top quality.

To be honest, we think Sea Wynde is a Pussers on steroids and could easily be mistaken for an Islay whisky. We're serious. In retrospect this was one of the greats. That is was discontinued is a bellweather for the deterioration of rum and the move to ever younger, ever more altered rums controlled by the Big Three.

It is a huge loss. Sue Sea was so taken she started to pour another splash. "No way!" I countered, we have less than half a bottle less and it will have to wait for next Christmas.

I will hoard this one to the last drop...
Hassouni
Minor God

Post by Hassouni »

Where the hell does one find a mini of Sea Wynde?

Capn's Log: Believe me, if any rum exists you're likely to find it in south Florida and/or the Keys. Needless to say this is Party Central for visitors from all over the world, plus a crew of locals not to be believed. Miami is the gateway to the Caribbean and South and Central America, with residents from all these countries and any number of ethnic restaurants, stores and an amazing number of both large and independent liquor stores.

Sea Wynde minis were very common way back when, and I'll bet this one was at least five years old.
Dai
Minor God

Post by Dai »

For me not a lot of variety mainly El Dorado 15 did half a bottle in two days over my daughters new house. I must say it was very enjoyable.
Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect!

My Link to Save Caribbean Rum Petition