Peoples' Choice Awards: Cane Juice Style Rums - Nominations

This is the main discussion section. Grab yer cups! All hands on deck!
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Peoples' Choice Awards: Cane Juice Style Rums - Nominations

Post by Capn Jimbo »

And now for cane juice style rums, the envelopes please?

Once again, please do nominate your three favorite of this style. BTW, this has been interesting in a number of ways, to be discussed a bit later. As each category is completed, it will be interesting to post it in the one section devoted to public, non-registered voting.

Thanks as always for your well founded suggestions. You know who you are...
Last edited by Capn Jimbo on Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:42 am, edited 4 times in total.
Capn Jimbo

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Sue Sea's choices...

1. Barbancourt Five Star
2. Rhum J.M. Blanc
3. Charbay (White)

And what didn't quite make the cut: Mae de Oro (yes, yes, I know) and Rhum Dillon Blanc.
Capn Jimbo

Even I get a chance...

Post by Capn Jimbo »

For Moi...

It may be counter intuitive, but a spirit that disallows or deemphasizes hidden additives and flavorings actually creates MORE choices when it comes to nominations, and perhaps leads too for a broader selection of enjoyable labels.

Consider Scotch Whisky - yes, there is a trend toward NAS but compared to rum the number of new issues and choices is mind boggling - without additives. Ibid for bourbon. And so it is for cane juice rums. Another factor is that I truly have difficulty considering cachaca as a really separate category. Although a bit of sugar is allowed, cachacas are also made of cane juice and ring loudly of a certain purity of product that emphasizes this raw material...

Cane juice.

Thus my nom's...

1. Barbancourt Five Star
2. Barbancourt Three Star
3. Mae de Oro

A Note: I could easily have nominated three different labels, and that is the point. Purity leads to real variety.
Last edited by Capn Jimbo on Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Capn Jimbo

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Good friends I beseech you...

Please do participate in this thread - I beg you!

Your votes for the Jamaican style rums were rather interesting. It turns out that Appleton 12 has finally eked out a close lead over Smith & Cross, which led for quite some time. We'll give it another week, then declare your winning choice, then move the thread to the public polling area to see what the rest of the universe thinks.

In the meanwhile - honestly - please do make your nominations here for the three cane juice rums of your choice. Keep in mind that blancs certainly do play a part here, and naming a cachaca is fair game.

Thanks - it will be interesting to see what you, our honored and talented posters, think...
Dai
Minor God

Post by Dai »

Love to participate but have no experience of this type of rum
Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect!

My Link to Save Caribbean Rum Petition
Bearman
Cabin Boy

Post by Bearman »

Dai wrote:Love to participate but have no experience of this type of rum
Same here..
Hassouni
Minor God

Post by Hassouni »

I too don't have much experience with these (esp due to the rarity of good cachaça and expense of most French agricoles), so with that disclaimer I'd say

Barbancourt 15 year and 8 year tied at the top
Dillon blanc next for sheer value and being a real stinker (in the best way possible)
Capn Jimbo

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Thanks for the replies...

We understand that some have not had the experience of a good cane juice rum. Way back when Sue Sea first started tasting rum, like so many of us she too was first exposed to some of the altered sweeties. However with time and experience she came to prefer the relative purity and authenticity of a good cane juice rum.

To this day, her favorite remains Barbancourt Five Star, but she has developed a real affection for a number of the blancs and/or cachacas as well. It is fair to say that CJ style rums are in general, relatively young.

If you go to the CJ section you will find a number of very affordable rums that in time you too may come to like. Or not, lol...
da'rum
Minor God

Post by da'rum »

Cane juice style rum isn't one of my favourite and therefore I don't have much experience with it. I have Barbancourt 5 star at home and have tried a few other brands that I can't remember the names of when I was in Spain. I couldn't possibly vote though.
in goes your eye out
RT
Quartermaster

Post by RT »

Sorry for the delay in responding, but have been busy alternately shoveling snow and drinking rum to thaw out.

Like most of the other responders, I consider myself less expert on French style rums than most of the other rum styles. Nonetheless, I do have about 10 Agricole (big A) and agricole (little a) rums in my collection, and therefore offer the following choices:

1. (but disqualified on a minor technicality) Clement Creole Shrubb
2. Barbancourt Estate Reserve (by the smallest of margins over their 5 star)
3. St. James Extra Old
4. La Favorite Rhum Vieux
Students of the cask, reject naught but water. -Charles Gonoud, Faust Act 2
NCyankee
Admiral

Post by NCyankee »

1) barbancourt 5 star
2) Depaz blue cane
3) Ron Viejo de caldas 8 yr

Mae de Ouro would also be very close behind, as well as two I recently opened from Ypioca - the Prata and Ouro.

Capn's Log: what a great nomination. Frankly I'd forgotten completely about the Viejo de Caldas, the one cane juice rum that proves that the promoters don't even have a clue, as no less than the Preacher gave VdC awards - twice! - as an aged molasses based rum. Terrific, Yank!
bearmark
Beermeister

Post by bearmark »

The only three I've had are listed below in my order of preference:
  1. Barbancourt 5-Star
  2. Mae de Ouro Cachaça
  3. Leblon Cachaça
I have a sample of St. James XO that I'll try to slot in this week.
Mark Hébert
Rum References: Flor de Caña 18 (Demeraran), The Scarlet Ibis (Trinidadian), R.L. Seale 10 (Barbadian), Appleton Extra (Jamaican), Ron Abuelo 12 (Cuban), Barbancourt 5-Star (Agricole)