Sugar Wars Dept: Systembolaget Database

This is the main discussion section. Grab yer cups! All hands on deck!
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Sugar Wars Dept: Systembolaget Database

Post by Capn Jimbo »

For meatball lovers everywhere...

Here's a better link to the Systembolaget database, as this one take you directly to the search page where you can enter for example "Matusalem", and get a return of all the reported Matusalem rums and their reported contents.

https://www.systembolaget.se/globalsok/

You can then copy and paste the results into any good translate site (from Swedish, or "detect" to English, et al). Here's what's interesting:

1. Many rums' sugar content is NOT reported, although other information is given.

2. This is even true for a single distiller, eg Matusalem...

Clasico: sugar content omitted
Solera 7: up to 3 grams
Gran Reserva 15: omitted
Gran Reserva 23: omitted
Platino: 5 grams

This is EXTREMELY revealing. Not only do their flagship soleras (15 and 23) omit sugar content, but the highest sugar content included is for their young blanco (Platino) at 5 grams. This falls exactly in line with Che's tests.

It also appears that Sweden (a) does not require the reporting of sugar and (b) allows the designation of "less than 3 grams/liter", while larger amounts are reported exactly and not as ranges. Does anyone smell a lobbyist?
Count Silvio
Cabin Boy

Re: Sugar Wars Dept: Systembolaget Database

Post by Count Silvio »

Or you could simply just go here and get the full list without having to search... And out of all those rums there is already a list of the ones that list the sugar content on my website with maybe one or two missing from mine that have been added to the Systembolaget list recently.

Make no mistake that the Swedish government does require testing of all products sold just like the Finnish government. Not all products on the website may be sold in the shops but are still available through distributors who would have been required to submit samples for testing. The original list I published from Finnish government also lists the number "exactly" but like I said before the margin of error is 5% even with the sophisticated laboratory equipment the government has.
Capn Jimbo

Post by Capn Jimbo »

In the interest of horse beating...

We now have two links. Thanks to the Count, the link above:
  • Full List

The "Full list" is a huge, eleven page alphabetical list of the 260 rums in the Swedish database, but only lists the name, country of origin and cost. To look up sugar content you will have to page through to find if the rum exists, and only then click on it for detail regarding sugar. Perhaps more efficient...

https://www.systembolaget.se/globalsok/

This link will take you directly to a search page where you can enter the rum's name (or partial name, like "mount gay"), and be taken directly to the sugar content figures for that rum(s). Much faster.

Now let's examine the lists culled from Alko of Finland, and especially, from the Swedish listings

According to the Count claims the accuracy is "5%", which may mean +/- 5%, or +/- 2.5% (citation?). Still and if true, that's close enough for our purposes, and means that nothing except politics prevented the Swedes from reporting zeros.

Kudo's to the Finlanders, shame on the Swedes.

Back to the shameful Swedes, whose database includes 260 rums. Of these 260, the Count states "...out of all those rums there is already a list of the ones that list the sugar content on my website with maybe one or two missing from mine that have been added to the Systembolaget list recently.". Now if that is true, out of 260 rums only 16 report sugar content - and - out of those paltry 16 rums, no "zeros" are reported, and there are but 4 rums whose sugar content is up to 3 grams.

That's less than 2% of their "tested" rums.

Even the Count's reproduced list is suspect, as I quickly found Matusalem Platino at 5 grams which was tested in 2006 and should have appeared on his posted list. The Finnish list does far, far better in that they actually report the zeros they found, and reported ten rums with no sugar, three rums with 1g, and one rum with 3g. In sum I find that Swedish list minimally informative with the sole exception of outing a few of the gross violators, especially the El Dorados and Plantations (who both profess high quality).

Count if you're reading this and in the interest of accuracy, I trust that all would very much appreciate a citation and direct link to the Alko Finnish original listing and source data.
JaRiMi
Admiral

Post by JaRiMi »

Hello, please see my post elsewhere - Alko is not allowed to publish in the internet any info on products with abv. 22% alcohol. Only printed materials, which can be fetched from the shop, show this information. Also it is visible on the shelves, and this is what I actually showed to "the Count" some times ago, which prompted the idea of collecting such information.
Count Silvio
Cabin Boy

Post by Count Silvio »

Capn Jimbo wrote: According to the Count claims the accuracy is "5%"...
According to the director of ACL to be specific. I am merely providing the information as it was given to me.
Capn Jimbo wrote:Back to the shameful Swedes, whose database includes 260 rums. Of these 260, the Count states "...out of all those rums there is already a list of the ones that list the sugar content on my website with maybe one or two missing from mine that have been added to the Systembolaget list recently.". Now if that is true, out of 260 rums only 16 report sugar content - and - out of those paltry 16 rums, no "zeros" are reported, and there are but 4 rums whose sugar content is up to 3 grams.

Correct. I've been through the list personally.
Capn Jimbo wrote:Even the Count's reproduced list is suspect, as I quickly found Matusalem Platino at 5 grams which was tested in 2006 and should have appeared on his posted list.
I did say I am missing one or two and I am not responsible for the accuracy of the list I posted two months ago. I don't check the list every day for updates you know! Either way I've added the ones missing from the original list here and it looks like they have added quite a few new rums and also updated their list somewhat.
Capn Jimbo wrote:Count if you're reading this and in the interest of accuracy, I trust that all would very much appreciate a citation and direct link to the Alko Finnish original listing and source data.
Replied in the other thread.
Dai
Minor God

Post by Dai »

Count Silvio wrote:
Capn Jimbo wrote: According to the Count claims the accuracy is "5%"...
According to the director of ACL to be specific. I am merely providing the information as it was given to me.
Capn Jimbo wrote:Back to the shameful Swedes, whose database includes 260 rums. Of these 260, the Count states "...out of all those rums there is already a list of the ones that list the sugar content on my website with maybe one or two missing from mine that have been added to the Systembolaget list recently.". Now if that is true, out of 260 rums only 16 report sugar content - and - out of those paltry 16 rums, no "zeros" are reported, and there are but 4 rums whose sugar content is up to 3 grams.

Correct. I've been through the list personally.
Capn Jimbo wrote:Even the Count's reproduced list is suspect, as I quickly found Matusalem Platino at 5 grams which was tested in 2006 and should have appeared on his posted list.
I did say I am missing one or two and I am not responsible for the accuracy of the list I posted two months ago. I don't check the list every day for updates you know! Either way I've added the ones missing from the original list here and it looks like they have added quite a few new rums and also updated their list somewhat.
Capn Jimbo wrote:Count if you're reading this and in the interest of accuracy, I trust that all would very much appreciate a citation and direct link to the Alko Finnish original listing and source data.
Replied in the other thread.
Jarimi:
Hello, please see my post elsewhere - Alko is not allowed to publish in the internet any info on products with abv. 22% alcohol. Only printed materials, which can be fetched from the shop, show this information. Also it is visible on the shelves, and this is what I actually showed to "the Count" some times ago, which prompted the idea of collecting such information.
Guy's Guy's let's just collect the information, so that we can make an informed decision on how to spend our money. If purity matters so much go drink Bourbon or Whisky start eating organic only, then only the most organic of the organic better still stick to permaculture.

When it comes to rum all we can do is educate our selfs to making the best buying decision that suit us as individuals. We have to thank the Count and Jarimi for starting us on this journey.
Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect!

My Link to Save Caribbean Rum Petition
Capn Jimbo

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Couldn't agree more...

Personal choices and preference is the goal. Some drinkers don't care if their spirits are loaded with sugar and additives; others demand pure and unadulterated products that they feel better represents true artistry, quality and expense. The key remains knowledge and full disclosure, so that each of us can make up our own minds.

Rough and tumble among respectable folk - evident here - reveals that such full and honest disclosure is a goal supported by all who have taken considerable time to post and to do so in detail. Reminds me of the long past spirited but respectful discussions I had with JaRiMi. Out of same comes truth.

Although the use of sugar and other adulterants is really old news here, it's headlines for the bulk of uneducated imbibers. Carry on...