Doorly's XO

This is the main discussion section. Grab yer cups! All hands on deck!
Dai
Minor God

Doorly's XO

Post by Dai »

Last time I tried Doorly's XO I found it to have to much of an alcohaol burn for my liking. Wondering if any of you guy's found the same. I'm wondering if a teaspoon of water might tame it like it does for the ED8. Imight buy another sample in my next order and try it again, just to see.
Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect!

My Link to Save Caribbean Rum Petition
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Post by Capn Jimbo »

It's hard to say...

Your experience sounds pretty personal, as we don't have this effect with Doorly's XO, which is a well made and well aged pure rum. Sometimes a new bottle has such an effect until the rum is down to the shoulders of the bottle. I'd also try just letting it air for five or ten minutes and see what happens.

Let us know...
Last edited by Capn Jimbo on Tue May 20, 2014 7:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
sleepy
King of Koffee

Post by sleepy »

Dai, as with almost all of Seale's products, Doorly's XO is straight spirits without added "flavor enhancers" (although 4 square spiced is very nice for that genus). It is, as I understand, an experiment in aging in a variety of casks, then blending. I find that it does tend toward a certain harshness, but the process does give rise to a great complexity of flavor as well. Perhaps longer aging would remove some of the hard edges, but I think that you are unlikely to find as good a spirit of any variety for $16.

Jimbo's right about giving it air - it does take an edge off.

I just made my quarterly trek to Total and acquired 3 bottles of Seale's 10, a bottle of XO and a handle of Doorly's 5 (for my rum and tonic refreshers - $20/1.75l!)
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Sleepy thanks, Dai - another thought...

Another thought occurred to me: it is well to keep in mind that rum is the poster spirit for the addition especially of sugar and glycerol which act as smoothers. From this point - and like single malt whiskies - it is not so much that Seales (or any decent whiskiy) needs more aging or is too harsh; it's rather that many of us became used to heavily alterered, artificially smoothed rums.

Thus when we taste a fine example of the real thing, we find it "harsh", but only in comparison. In time and as we became used to and preferred pure spirits we now find the altered rums now seem unnatural and unpleasant.

Yesterday I listened to a report on the processed food industry who has managed to shift tastes using salt, sugar, high fructose corn syrup and fats to the point that both children and adults dislike real fruits and vegetables. These huge companies - like the huge distillers - have so much power and marketing dominance that they are able to lead and establish altered tastes and profiles such that the eating and drinking public come to prefer the new, altered norm.

Let's just say that once you make the switch - back to real food or to real spirits, you are unlikely to go back.
Dai
Minor God

Post by Dai »

No I taste more alcohol than smooth rum in Doorly's XO (the little sample I had) and in ED 8 a teaspoon of water smooths out ED8 nicely. Must be just my taste buds.

So I might buy another sample of Doorly's XO and try the teaspoon of water to see if it smooths out the Doorly's for me. If so that's another rum to the collection @ £25 a bottle not bad in UK ($16 a bottle I wish).

35/40 ml or 1oz rum one teaspoon of water.
Next time you have a rum that you think is a bit rough try this!
Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect!

My Link to Save Caribbean Rum Petition
Hassouni
Minor God

Post by Hassouni »

I had some just the other day and didn't find it harsh at all, but then the bottle has had some air in it for a while - perhaps that made the difference