Rum: Largo Bay Rum

This is the main discussion section. Grab yer cups! All hands on deck!
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Rum: Largo Bay Rum

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Largo Bay Rum

I was zipping through Total Wine when I spotted a new, never before seen rum, the above referenced "Largo Bay Rum". LBR sports a giveaway, marketing created label that just shouts "...bottled for the bottom shelf". Now the only reason I even bother to mention this seemingly made up product is that it claims to be made in Barbados.

Now most of the regular readers here know I have great respect for Barbadian rums - which heretofore have been consistently very good, if not simply great. So I naturally wondered just who produced this rum: if perchance it was either Mount Gay or Richard Seale, I'd speculate that even this shoddy label might hide what just might be a pretty decent rum.

This could be good.

A bit more research and I found that this rum is a product of the United States Distilled Products Co., apparently of Minnesota - the home of many fine rums like Trader Vics, Kingston and RONDIAZ (yes, all caps, I'm serious). Largo Bay is so new it hasn't even made the website yet. A brief perusal of the others revealed that USDP was more interested in promoting their new, super effective font styles and glowingly growing sales than even a few words about the rum themselves.

This could be really bad.

Good? Bad? I'd bet my underwear on the latter, but the alleged Barbadian source keeps a sliver of hope alive. More anon when I actually buy a liter...
Last edited by Capn Jimbo on Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

An update...

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Hot off the presses...

Called the founder/distributor, left a messege. And heard nothing. But then - to my surprise - I did get a call that I'd have to deem a bit hesitant. When queried about the purpose of my email, I simply reiterated that I run a rum website and review rums, was interested in their rum and wanted to know a bit about the rum, it's age and the usual basic information that most rum tasters seek.

"Well, we usually don't give that out" he said. "Everybody else does" I quickly retorted. He then went into a convoluted explanation, something to the effect of "...until we send it to our tasters, we're not ready to release any information. It's a 'corporate' rum, and it's really very good. Like Bacardi. We've just introduced it (at Total Wine)".

Whew!

I was nearly dumbfounded and said I'd be interested in hearing more "...when the tasters were done with it". Guess I'd have to say this is simply another bullshit, made up product as should have been abundantly obvious from the beginning.

My bad. I have a thing for Barbados you see...