High Noon Dept: Freedom for the Scots and Balcones?

This is the main discussion section. Grab yer cups! All hands on deck!
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

High Noon Dept: Freedom for the Scots and Balcones?

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Free at last! Free at last! Thank God Almighty, I'm free at last!

A big, big day. Today we'll get to know the fate of the Scots and pro-yes Ralfy. Today is also the day we may find out whether Chip Tate and Balcones are free of one another.

Stay tuned...
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Post by Capn Jimbo »

First... the Scots:

I don't know about you, but like Ralfy I was hoping against hope the "yes" vote would prevail, this especially when the corporations, Cameron and even Bill Clinton waded in to protect their corporate interests. Those powers even offered that only if the people voted "no" they promised to make substantial changes called "devolution".

I have great love and respect for the Scots whose independent character I've always admired. I felt the panic and fear mongering of the "no" crew would backfire. And last a "yes" vote would show the common man - most of us - had finally had enough of the corporate elite.

It didn't.

With a HUGE turnout of about 86% of the people the "yes's" lost, 45 to 55% for the "nos". A dream shattered, but a massive statement made and one that won't go away. The elites are now in big trouble, as even the "no" voters did so on the basis that Cameron's pleas and promises would be kept. The Unicorn is now out of the bag and it won't go away...
Yes leader Salmond said: "The unionist parties made vows late in the campaign to devolve more powers to Scotland. Scotland will expect these to be honoured in rapid form."
The last few weeks have been amazing. Ralfy was deeply and emotionally invested in supporting his "yes" support, as should have been evident in his last review especially (#487). The Unicorn is out of the bag. The sleeping giant is stirring as people everywhere have had quite enough of the mega-corporate takeover of nearly everything...

To Scotland! To Ralfy! To Unicorns! The fight has begun...
Dai
Minor God

Post by Dai »

Shit the Scots lost! Nevermind there is always next time, and next time they will win!
Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect!

My Link to Save Caribbean Rum Petition
Hassouni
Minor God

Post by Hassouni »

To the United Kingdom! Remember, it was James VI of Scotland who took over the English throne, after all.
thefatrumpirate

Post by thefatrumpirate »

Ultimately the "Land of Milk and Honey" being presented by Salmond is what swayed a lot of voters.

More jobs, better pensions, healthcare, schools, transport all for less taxes. That's an awful lot of extra Haggis and Whisky to sell.

Unsustainable and frankly from a modern day politician extremely naïve. Whilst the idea of a independent Scotland is a beautiful ideology it needs to be embraced in a forward thinking 21st century way not a la Rob Roy.

Fear played a part in this no doubt (just look at the Republic of Ireland as an example of what can go wrong) but ultimately the NO vote probably won more because of what Salmond did rather than Cameron.
Uisge
Cap'n

Post by Uisge »

I thought this was already decided even before the issue came to a vote...by those Scots who earned their independence by heading to the Ulster Plantation and eventually was would become the nascent United States...but what do I know?