Rum Sixty Six

This is the main discussion section. Grab yer cups! All hands on deck!
Dai
Minor God

Rum Sixty Six

Post by Dai »

Just recieved my bottle of Sixty Six looking forward to having a drop later.

Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect!

My Link to Save Caribbean Rum Petition
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Lucky dog, er Dai...

Enjoy... I'm jealous.
Dai
Minor God

Post by Dai »

Capn Jimbo wrote:Lucky dog, er Dai...

Enjoy... I'm jealous.
Cheers Jimbo I'll make sure I have one for you.

Capn Jimbo

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Can't wait to hear what you think of it...
mamajuana
Admiral

Post by mamajuana »

I can't wait for it to hit US shelves... at least we have the real McCoy 12 to hold us over.
Dai
Minor God

Post by Dai »

Rich fruity, deep dark fruit, smooth realy smooth. hard boiled sweets (if your from the UK you'll know what I mean). In a nut shell go get you some. WOW must of had my head up my arse not to have gotten a bottle of this before now. Better than the Seale's 10 but different.

Had a glass of the Seales before trying this just for comparison.

Capn Jimbo

Post by Capn Jimbo »

I simply love the Seales' family...

So much so that I must give them the plug they deserve. I received nothing whatsoever, ever from Seales (dammit, lol...).

Here goes:
"Pot and Column

RUM SIXTY SIX Family Reserve is a blend of rums both from the column or “Coffey” still, for delicate nuanced flavours and also from the traditional copper pot still which infuses the rum with a more brash, robust character. The rum is put into small American white oak ex-Bourbon casks, which is an excellent wood for ageing and maturing. Most of our casks we buy from a famous distillery in Lynchburg, Tennessee."

" Tropically Aged

Distilled from fermented molasses in small batches (usually 112 barrels) and tropically aged for a minimum of 12 years in small American white oak casks. Tropical ageing describes the fact that spirits in the Caribbean age more quickly than in Europe due to the warm climate. After 12 years tropical ageing RUM SIXTY SIX Family Reserve has a maturity and complexity comparable with European spirits twice this age."

"A Heavenly Spirit

"At Foursquare we age our rum at a strength of 65% ABV, which is a lower cask strength than most Caribbean rums which are laid down at between 70% and 75% ABV (if they are aged at all). This means we need more casks, but it also means we get better extraction from the wood at low strength, and the most precious elements of the spirit do not evaporate out. That said, our barrels typically lose about 6% of their contents to the angels through evaporation every year. This means that after 12 years we have lost over half the volume of rum we started with."
"Decisions, decisions

RUM SIXTY SIX Family Reserve is the result of careful selection and decisions. After around 8 years tropical ageing we sample the casks and decide which have the greatest potential. These elite casks are separated and the rum is reduced to near final bottling strength and returned to the wood for a second maturation to at least 12 years. A gentle filtration at low temperature provides the final step before bottling and export."
No wonder you liked it. I would be interested in a compare and contrast with the Seale's 10 though. I could not be more jealous, you simply can't get it here in South Florida...
Capn Jimbo

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Oh, and...

"
"The prestigious International Wine & Spirits Competition awarded RUM SIXTY SIX Family Reserve best in class in 2010.

Tasting Notes: Medium to dark amber. Rich, aromatic nose with raisins, prune and some treacle. Slight vanilla notes and lots of wood. Big and full in the mouth with lots of flavour and mellow maturity. Fairly sturdy oak influence. Vanilla plays an important part in a long lasting finish.

Here’s what a few others have said:

“Wow, that’s a serious rum”

Dave Broom, Editor Whisky Magazine & author of Rum

“Rum Sixty Six develops and paces progressively in the mouth in the same way an absolutely top wine does. Serious spirits are very cerebral, contemplative things you sit and enjoy a glass of; and I’d put Rum Sixty Six firmly into that category.”

Richard Cocksedge, Master of Wine"
Dai
Minor God

Post by Dai »

Talking of wine the Sixty Six gives you the mouth feel of a top quality red wine while tasting of top quality rum. Know I know that's a hard concept to get your head round but it seems like a good descriptor. Leaving you with a rich dark coffe come coacoa after taste finish.

In the immortal words of Kieth Richard it's good shit.