A Death of Rum Fest: Salutes sugar and Plantation

This is the main discussion section. Grab yer cups! All hands on deck!
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

A Death of Rum Fest: Salutes sugar and Plantation

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Just got the following note from another Death of Rum Fest, this time from South Florida:

From the Rum Renaissance:

"It has been another banner year for Plantation Rum, based in Cognac, France. The company announced today that their products were awarded four Gold and four Best In Category awards from the International Rum Expert Panel judges at the Miami Rum Renaissance Festival.

This is the third year in a row that Plantation rums have received the most awards in this prestigious international RumXP blind tasting competition.

Receiving RumXP Best In Category awards were Plantation Original Dark, Plantation Original Dark Overproof, Plantation Jamaica 2001 and Plantation Pineapple. RumXP Gold awards went to Plantation 3 Stars White, Plantation 20th Anniversary XO, Plantation 5 Year Old Grande Reserve and Plantation Guyana 2005.

Once again, Alexandre Gabriel's Plantation Rums take the most Gold and Best In Class awards at the RumXP international blind tasting competition at the Miami Rum Festival.The Plantation 20th Anniversary XO aged rum also won a Gold award from the new Consumer Rum Jury in their premiere tasting competition, comprised of 20 well qualified rum enthusiast consumers, collectors and experienced rum travelers, offering the perspective of the active and engaged rum buyer in their evaluations.

This unique brand of rums is produced in France, headed by Alexandre Gabriel, Proprietor of Maison Ferrand and Master Blender for Plantation Rum. For the past two decades, Alexandre has been traveling to the Caribbean's best distilleries to acquire rums that he believes will benefit from further aging in Cognac barrels at his facility in France.

Each rum in the Plantation Rum portfolio is made according to its country's traditional technique and expresses the rum characteristics and flavor of its country of origin. While the rums are born in the traditional fashion, produced in rum distilleries and aged in barrels in the tropical sun, they undergo a unique aging process not used by any other rum producer in the industry..."

As always I have a few comments.

I won't bore you with the usual barf about the near total commercial focus of these events. Judges are typically industry insiders whose actual reviewing experience is very limited. Trust me, you wouldn't recognize most of the names; nor would you be likely to have read their "skilled reviews". They are insiders for a reason. On top of that there's now a "Consumer Rum Jury in their premiere tasting competition, comprised of 20 well qualified rum enthusiast consumers, collectors and experienced rum travelers". Although the rum-bellied promoter doesn't appear to name them, you may assume they may well include some of the usual suspects and hangers-on like Bahama Bob, Dave Russell, the Frozen One, Forrest Gump and the like. No topper is left unscrewed to insure favorable publicity among bloggers and butt buddies with keyboards.

Of course the announcement itself seems nothing more than a kneeling tribute/advertisement for Plantation, and repeats most of their opaque claims. For example we're told the distiller has spared no effort to crawl through the Caribbean in search of special distillate - so special though that we never learn who produced it, using what method, for how long aged or in what, at what proof, et al. We seem to learn almost NOTHING short of the country and possibly year of "origin".

Next? We are told this precious and special elixir is then transported for a special second "aging". Astute readers of the Project may recall the analysis of the website which found that again, very little was revealed of the wood, barrel history or usage, or time in barrels of this second aging. Frankly, I think the term "finishing" might be more appropriate, if one considers that a quick dunk in possibly very used, leftover sherry barrels even constitutes that. It get's worse: the claim is made that this super-duper-secret process is "not used by any other rum producer in the industry". Let me be kind...

Horse-fackin-shyt.

Sherry and other finishing has been done for years, perhaps first by Richard Seale (who experimented with other woods), but also by any number of distillers. It's common. Sheesh. We are also blessed with the claim that these highly selective rums were "made according to its country's traditional technique and expresses the rum characteristics and flavor of its country of origin". Really? Really? I've got big news for ya, fellas. While that may be true to a minor degree in Barbados, and to a greater degree in Jamaica, that's about it. We have arrived at a point where rums move around the Carib like the pieces on a checkerboard. In general origin alone has little meaning. Even the raw material - molasses - is mostly imported (often from Brazil). So much for "origin". You buying that?

Last but far from least...

The complete and utter denial or ignoring of sugaring. I simply know that such entities - if you hold a cocked-Glock to their cajones - would try to promote either that (a) sugaring is allowed and no big deal or (b) try to call it by another name (a prize for the first one of you who can post this revisionist term). If sugaring was so trivial, then why oh why does the industry work so hard to deny or minimize it? Why are the proud and skilled marketeers not shouting out to the heavens about their "addition of the finest and rarest, specially processed sugars" to their awesome new products? And how and why is it that the well-altered and sweet Plantations just keep on winning?

Sugar sells, but the industry is ashamed of the secret practice, that's why. They've finally been outed, caught redhanded with their fat, sugared fingers in the cookie jar, and they simply don't know what to do. With nearly 400 sugar tests now completed, and many more to follow, I think that horse has fackin left the barn...

BTW, anyone know that term?
da'rum
Minor God

Post by da'rum »

Which term?

The rum fest is a sham. A well known shill fest and judging from the small conversation I had with Burr I consider him a bit of a goose. He's a money maker nothing more nothing less.
in goes your eye out
Capn Jimbo

Post by Capn Jimbo »

d...

That would be the term that Plantation uses instead of and to softsell "sugaring" - the addition of unlabelled sugar, and with which even Richard takes issue.
Blade Rummer
Quartermaster

Re: A Death of Rum Fest: Salutes sugar and Plantation

Post by Blade Rummer »

Each rum in the Plantation Rum portfolio is made according to its country's traditional technique and expresses the rum characteristics and flavor of its country of origin. While the rums are born in the traditional fashion, produced in rum distilleries and aged in barrels in the tropical sun, they undergo a unique aging process not used by any other rum producer in the industry..."
Pretty sure they meant "unique addition of sugar and other flavors". To me Plantation are one of the worst offenders in the altered rum world. It would be bad enough if they just took some NAS bulk rum and gussied it up until it was sweet and smooth and sold it as a premium rum, but no! They actually go to the trouble of searching out for aged rum from all over the carribean and then totally ruin these otherwise perfectly good rums with all the sugar and other flavorings. I have tried a few of their bottlings over the years (but the bottles are so pretty with the straw wrap-around!) and the Jamaican expression is so blatantly sugared it's incredibly obvious to anyone who is familiar with the normal flavor profile of a Jamaican rum. If they actually just released pure rum from all these distillers I would gladly hand over my money to them.

BTW, anyone know that term?
That wouldn't be "dosage" now, would it?
Dai
Minor God

Post by Dai »

It is good that momentum is going on the sugar tests and I give thanks to all that are doing them. It won't be long before more enthusiasts catch on and start buying real value rums. It's a different story for your normal consumer they'll go with what ever hype is around at the time. It's the rum enthusiasts we are after as they will spread the word through blogs, internet, rum festivals etc this will infect a large proportion of ordinary consumers in the end forcing the industry to change by hitting the bottom line. We just need the time to educate people, it's starting to happen. Lets just hope it gathers the momentum needed.
Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect!

My Link to Save Caribbean Rum Petition
Capn Jimbo

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Ding, ding, ding!

Kudo's to the Blade Rummer. The revisionist word used by Plantation is indeed "dosage". To see this term in action...

Read Plantation's (Alexandre) article on sugar dosing first:
http://thefloatingrumshack.com/content/ ... re-gabriel

Then read Seale's response:
http://thefloatingrumshack.com/content/ ... I7fQ%3D%3D

Let's cut to the chase, shall we? Plantation's claim is based on this dubious logic:
" Sugar has been used in artisanal spirits for centuries. It is part of the culture of spirits since they exist. It is the same for Champagne where the age old use of sugar is called “dosage”.

The quality of rums depends on the quality of Molasses/vesou it’s made from, how it is distilled, aged and blended. It’s all about ingredients and skills. Dosage is one of them and in this case it depends of which quality of sugar, how it is used and how much."
Plantation would have you believe that sugaring of spirits is ubiquitous, even namedropping its use in champagne, hoping that cache will rum, er rub off on rogue rum. Tell that to the Scots and the master distillers of fine single malts, or to the producers of bourbon. Or to the many pure rums that are made and sold honestly. In this quote he speaks to the "quality of sugar, how it is used and how much", yet not a word of this appears - ever - in the marketing. Curious, eh? He speaks too of the importance of the quality of molasses, and the method of distilling and aging but again, do any of these appear in Plantations advertising except in glowing generalized terms?

In answer, Richard Seale is devastating. There are so many quotes I know not which to post, but here's an example:
"It looks good (package included) and it tastes good, ergo it’s the good stuff. It is not difficult to look at the rum reviewers and find the correlation between sugar and high approval and vapid criteria like “smoothness” and “afterburn”. The seductive sweet taste is enough to be convincing of quality (and premium value). It makes the outrageous age claims believable and is the indispensable tool of the counterfeiter."
Seales destroys the notion of dosing as an undefined copout. Friends, you simply MUST read these two extended statements. Long time members are fully aware of the entire history from the early days when the Project was the first to even propose the word "style", "reference standards", and even "pure rum". Along with JaRiMi we together worked to out the Zee, Pee and later the Dee rums - all massively sugared. We are proud to have played a part in these proceedings.

Personally, I'm thrilled that in the last couple years enough has happened that a distiller like Seales is now publicly expressing what theretofore had to be kept a private opinion. This alone is proof that things are changing. The decentralized exposure of sugaring is a gamechanger. Carry on...
JaRiMi
Admiral

Post by JaRiMi »

Plantation is an interesting exception in the "independent bottlers of rum" -category.

- They are THE ONLY ONE I know of that systematically add much sugar to their products - all of them.

- Since busted, they have made claims that A) this is a tradition, and B) they use a sophisticated, more special way to get the sweet sugar in the rums (as opposed to teaspooning white powder into the liquid I guess?).

- Of course there's the triumphant use of descriptives referring to the fantastique, superieur French-ness of their methodologies, the prestige, and traditions, using also cognac (limousine oak) casks for 2ndary aging etc etc etc.

C'est magnifique!!!! And the crowds cheer..

I know many people here who have served as rum blind tasting panelists in our competition. We try to get 50-50 split between bar professionals and whisky/rum hobbyists.

Most have very little knowledge & understanding of rum, and many are still misguided to think that A) rum is naturally sweet, given that its original raw material is, B) all advertised "rum" is pure, without additives.

In a blind tasting sugar rules for the ignorant. "Smooth, no burn" - quality. Additives too - "this one was more simple in taste (i.e. it is an honestly made rum) whereas this one had a fantastic mixture of vanilla, fruits, even some spices (yeah cause it's 100% laced with essences...duh)". Even experienced whisky fans make amazing preferences when it comes to rum - because they do not know much about the topic, and presume there is some degree of honesty here (as there is in whisky).

As the organizer of the competition, since rum makers do not admit openly to additives, it puts us in a difficult position.

1) I'd like to have pure rums separately, and additive-rums as their own group. But how can I prove to the importer that their rum is laden with additives? They have asked from the distillery XYZ master blender, and he/she assured them their rum is pure of essences, and any sugar is residual from distillation (bollocks..).

2) If we took out all adulterated rums, the pure rum group would sadly here be very, very small.

3) I'd love to educate the tasters on what is real and what is not, but would I not be favouring some then, and putting others down? I should not try and influence the panel of judges.

Blind tastings are difficult. Things like variance of alcohol percentage throw some people completely off even in whisky (why is this one burning and this one is so nice and smooth). Colour too, even some of the most experienced tasters get nervous and start falling for simple mistakes like looking at the colour (On the other hand, we cannot group everything separately, the categories would start to be very small, and odd.

Best solution is to educate more and more people in general about rum - but again, it is a battle to certain degree, as brand ambassadors etc who circulate the world aren't open or admitting. So what I am saying is not only challenged, it is (still) vehemently denied, and the crowd is told that the information they have received is inaccurate and fallacy. Even in the best case ambassador ZYX says "yes, flase flavouring etc IS a problem in rums from countries A,B,D,C - but OUR RUM is PURE, ALWAYS". I look at the bottle, and see one of the worst offenders...and do not know whether to laugh or cry. :-(
AK9
Cap'n

Post by AK9 »

It is quite sad that lots of people who drink rum are exposed mostly to the sugared versions of the drink.
I am waiting to go to the UK Rumfest in order to see the level of exposure the different brands get and whether Bristol Sp/BBR/Cadenhead are present.
Dai
Minor God

Post by Dai »

AK9 wrote:It is quite sad that lots of people who drink rum are exposed mostly to the sugared versions of the drink.
I am waiting to go to the UK Rumfest in order to see the level of exposure the different brands get and whether Bristol Sp/BBR/Cadenhead are present.
Bristol Sp/BBR/Cadenhead are present.
The only one there from the independents last year was Mezan they were on the same stand as Richard Seale and his stuff.
Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect!

My Link to Save Caribbean Rum Petition
schlimmerdurst
Cabin Boy

Post by schlimmerdurst »

My comments at Amazon.de on the addition of sugar to Plantation XO has shown me that there'll always be people who don't care.

The latest reply I got was: "4 pieces of lump sugar per bottle? That's not so bad. I'm drinking only 2cl or 4cl, so where's the drama?" And the best part, by a self-called rum expert: "Plantation uses dosage only to counter the natural fluctuations in sugar cane." And "I don't think that good rum is sugared in order to fake a quality they don't have. I wouldn't trust discounter rums, though".

Ok. So some people think it's ok for "quality" producers to cheat them, but not bottom-shelf producers. That's psychological repression par excellence.
Capn Jimbo

Post by Capn Jimbo »

To make it worse...

They are totally wrong, I recently had to review the now 510 sugar tests and interestingly enough, the "premiumized" rums - not the younger rums, are the ones that are far more likely to be sugared - and - to suffer the most alteration.

Not to mention I don't believe for a second that the marketing fantasy stories and claimed ages are accurate.
AK9
Cap'n

Post by AK9 »

Dai wrote:
AK9 wrote:It is quite sad that lots of people who drink rum are exposed mostly to the sugared versions of the drink.
Bristol Sp/BBR/Cadenhead are present.
The only one there from the independents last year was Mezan they were on the same stand as Richard Seale and his stuff.

Not sure how expensive this will be but came upon the following.

Velier and Seale together on a tasting.

http://londonrumexperienceweek2015.sche ... e69opes1YU
cyril
Bo'sun

Post by cyril »

Luca Gargano & Richard Seale are working together for some release this year, stay tuned. It will come from Velier (under the name 'Habitation Velier' ; the aim is to release 1 rum from 1 potstill)

it will be the first 100% potstill rum coming from Foursquare
Hassouni
Minor God

Post by Hassouni »

And probably not available Stateside :(

By the way, the Plantation pineapple rum is a cracker - for a flavored rum :lol:
The Black Tot
Admiral

Post by The Black Tot »

Seale has done a pretty good job of making his limiteds and product range available in the US.

Take his recent port cask finish, available at hi times for 35 bucks. To get the exact same bottle in the UK will cost me 39GBP, or about 60 bucks.

Besides, you've got people in the Eurozone! :wink: