Rum Shop: Sunset Corners Liquors, Coral Gables

This is the main discussion section. Grab yer cups! All hands on deck!
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Rum Shop: Sunset Corners Liquors, Coral Gables

Post by Capn Jimbo »

I brake for liquor stores...

Here in Southeast Florida (and the Keys) we are blessed with an amazingly diverse culture. We are a gateway to the Caribbean, Central and South America. As a result we enjoy foods and people from all those areas. Not least are the many liquor stores who serve the area.

Sunset Corner Liquors in Coral Gables is one.

And a pretty well known one at that, thanks to Robert Burr of the Gifted Rums Guide and his frequent tastings. These take place in the plush, Old Florida community of Coral Gables. We will never forget one particular tasting at the amazing Venetian Pool, which was carved out of coral and sports Playboy grotto style waterfalls. A historical landmark and a Paradise of its own.

Burr has also done a tasting at Sunset Corners, and is fond of promoting this outlet as a fine, independent purveyor of the world's best wines and spirits. Since I brake for almost any liquor store, especially of the out of the way, small ethnic variety - where I have often found unusual rums at surprisingly low prices - I knew we were destined to stop at Sunset, which I perceived as a serious shop where I assumed I would be presented with many new and/or hard to find labels.

It was not to be.

We'd been visiting our good friend Jose, former bass player for the famous Nestor Torres (flute), and who is restoring a magnificent shotgun home in the equally famous Coconut Grove. Since 8701 Sunset Drive is nearby, we departed Joey's project down good old US-1, and west on Sunset. Like the Grove - actually much moreso - this route is lined with truly mindboggling Florida estates and mansions hidden by lush tropical landscaping. Were we on the right Sunset Drive?

We were.

A few blocks after emerging from this residential drive we came upon Sunset, which took up the northwest corner, parking behind. A large structure clearly dedicated to fine spirits. On entry we were immediately greeted by attendents who offered to find and discuss whatever our pleasure. I simply asked directions to the rum section, and declined any advice, stating "I was just looking". I like to discover things for myself and this was a moment I planned to savor, like an aromatic prime rib accompanied by a good au jus.

It was more like a designer can - of chicken broth.

Certainly better than a package of boullion cubes, but not even close to a good Jewish chicken noodle soup. And no matzo balls! Too bad. I'm not saying Sunset's selection was bad. Yes, there were a few expensive rums like Appleton 21, and I seem to remember a $100 plus agricole or two but...

Just a handful.

Other than that a pretty typical collection of rum, most of which I own. Worse yet - and the drive over should have been a red flag - the prices were, uh, less than attractive. I could easily score most of these rums for a notably fewer pesos. It's like a walking into a Rolls dealer - if you have to ask the price, you're in the wrong place. You send your driver to make the purchase.

Yes, yes I kid the Sunset.

Nice people, very helpful. But not nearly as knowledgeable as I'd have thought. I'd been looking to finally replace our cherished and hard to find Seales 10 - which with its amazing bottle is one almost every serious rum drinker knows - and our attentive attendent never heard of it. And failed to offer to find or order us one.

Such is life. And such is the Sunset. But stop there for yourself and buy yourself a dram of attitude and atmosphere...

Scores:

Service - fawning
Selection - acceptable
Atmosphere - excellent
Prices - above average

To be fair, I think I'll stop again. Maybe.

Sunset Corners Liquor Store
8701 Sunset Drive
Coral Gables, FL
305-271-8492

Note: Burr also promotes "Jensen's Liquors on SW 27th Avenue (1516 NW 27th Avenue - 305-635-0565), just south of the Miami River has an excellent selection for very good prices." Do keep in mind he considers Sunset "one of the best".