Brilliant Interview: with Luca Gargano of Velier

This is the main discussion section. Grab yer cups! All hands on deck!
cyril
Bo'sun

Post by cyril »

AK9 wrote:JaRiMI,
I wonder how DDL sees the increase in demand/popularity and price for the Velier products.

Will it make them take the single cask/casks route?
Will they move them to follow the Velier route?

I hope they have kept many good casks stored and not used all for blending..
they gonna take the single cask route and stop their 'partnership' with velier. Luca and Velier helps a lot but now (with the 'new' team) they want to release their own stuff (2 or 3 rums a year, with an 'El Dorado' stamp to link their brand to the new product).

The new CEO saw all the demerara products out there (indies) and was not aware of it... and now he wants to protect the 'demerara' mention to keep it for himself. we'll see some changes for sure..

what i find weird (its personal) is that Luca undertsand it, and is happy to see it coming.
JaRiMi
Admiral

Post by JaRiMi »

Well I sure hope they don't demolish it with additives like sugar..
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Post by Capn Jimbo »

My hope would be they will not sugar it, and that would be a game changer, especially if they promote that fact. My expectation?

They will.
AK9
Cap'n

Post by AK9 »

Thanks for all that feedback Cyril.

Perhaps V:
-Have many casks still available for the future?
-Have already moved to other things (RhumRhum or Clairin)? He seems to be one step ahead of competition so perhaps that is why he is quite confident.

Hope they wont sugar it. If anything the reason why these products are in demand is because they are not altered.
The Black Tot
Admiral

Post by The Black Tot »

VERY interesting, Cyril.

...but a little bit concerning.

If they figure that a sugared blend like ED25 is worth $500/bottle, what do they think a cask strength old cask single barrel will be worth?

They might screw it up and make the Veliers look cheap.

Ultra-premiumized prices now could snuff out the cask strength rum renaissance before it has the chance to really get going.

Anyway, Gargano isn't really "cut out" since he owns part of the company now.