So Many Vices, So Little Time

This is the main discussion section. Grab yer cups! All hands on deck!
da'rum
Minor God

So Many Vices, So Little Time

Post by da'rum »

Due to work, a baby boy and the perpetual colds and flus that seem to accompany a small bacteria mothership, I have rarely been able to enjoy a dram of any kind and lately my fall back vice of quietly puffing away on my pipe has also been severely restricted. I look at whisky and rum with the longing of a dog watching it's master eat the last biscuit. I cough and sniff and shuffle my tired phlegm filled body toward my home office with the view of having a smoke but the thought of a smoke when sick is unappealing and inevitably my wife or afore mentioned plague carrier will call for me to complete some task or errand so, forlorn, I turn away thinking if remaining a bachelor may have been a better life choice. I miss that hour and a half of solitude and the enjoyment of trying a new or favourite rum or whisky. Woe is me. But then I dance with my wife or my son falls asleep on my lap and I think ah Joy is mine. So here's an imaginary dram to you all. Cheers
in goes your eye out
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Bless you my good, good friend...

...but in your own cryptic way, you sum up life, hope and dreams. Thanks for sharing. To da'rum! Up spirits.
Last edited by Capn Jimbo on Sat May 30, 2015 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dawsonh
Greaser

Post by dawsonh »

Cheers to you da'rum! (mine was a lovely dram of Kilchoman, Loch Gorm) Yours is a bitter sweet tale to which we can all relate. Thanks for sharing.
mamajuana
Admiral

Post by mamajuana »

This story now reinforces why I have a stock to last me 20 years or so if I am unable to pull out.
Dai
Minor God

Post by Dai »

I haven't had a pipe today but will be having one or two rums later. I'll definately keep you in mind while sipping away on a rum sixty six.
Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect!

My Link to Save Caribbean Rum Petition
Dai
Minor God

Post by Dai »

Dai wrote:I haven't had a pipe today but will be having one or two rums later. I'll definately keep you in mind while sipping away on a rum sixty six.
Haven't forgotten you da'rum having the sixty six now. Cheers ;)
Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect!

My Link to Save Caribbean Rum Petition
AK9
Cap'n

Post by AK9 »

Da'rum, am in almost same situation (except the cold).
Hope you get better soon and you ll find soon lots of time to enjoy a nice glass of rum.
Sipping a glass of oloroso.
The Black Tot
Admiral

Post by The Black Tot »

Even opened Rum takes a lot of time to spoil in the bottle.

It (and we) will wait for you. They're in school before you know it.

I too could use a dram, come to think of it - my last was on May 2 the night before I joined this damned ship.

So with this post, I clink my imaginary glass with yours!
da'rum
Minor God

Post by da'rum »

Thanks for the replies guys. Today I actually managed a pipe and also to order a couple of nice bottles to try. This time I thought I'd try some thing different and ordered the Benriach 17 year Solstice (100 proof) and a very promising Blantons straight from the barrel (126 proof). I am looking forward to trying them both.
Cheers
in goes your eye out
The Black Tot
Admiral

Post by The Black Tot »

OOH you're going to love the Blanton's! It puts regular Blanton's to shame.

I'm about halfway through my first of three bottles of that delicious stuff.

I like putting a big random splash of water in it and seeing what it does a little differently each time.

BT mashbill #2 is impressive to me in that it just takes water like a champ.

Before Jimbo calls me out recalling our "few drops of water" debate :) this stuff is like 137 proof or something.

I've tried this with Elmer T Lee (same juice as Blantons', just different warehousing and flavor profile selection), which has unfortunately become an "it" bourbon in the States temporarily. You can add water down until it's almost at wine strength, and it remains interesting.

Ya did good!!!

Edit: Ah, I see yours is 126 proof. Well, they're all different. I expect it's the best ones that are selected to be straight from the barrel.
da'rum
Minor God

Post by da'rum »

Good to hear! Now to stare at the driveway until the postie comes......
in goes your eye out