New craft distillery: Richland Rum

This is the main discussion section. Grab yer cups! All hands on deck!
mamajuana
Admiral

Post by mamajuana »

I finally started working on this much belated review over the weekend.

Let's just say my first thoughts were that this was a real rare bird. A stunner in terms of style. I've not had many a rums that really tossed me for a loop, but this one has for certain. It's flavor and aroma is like nothing I've had before.

I'll need a bit more time with this one before really making a conclusion here. What I can say is that if this bottle presents itself to take a stab at it and give this a try. Any rum lover will be taken back by it as its an off the wall treat to discover, there is only really one other rum I may compare, but this one really takes it up a notch.

If you want to test your palate with something different then this is a highly recommended bottle.
Beukeboom
Quartermaster

Post by Beukeboom »

Richland Rum is readily available in Thomasville, GA which is just up the road from where I live in Florida. I like it and find it abundantly smooth. From what I read they are planning on opening a second distillery in Brunswick, GA (http://www.pr.com/press-release/661081)
mamajuana
Admiral

Post by mamajuana »

The main issue here was the oak on the rum. After consideration of the barrel I have I would say it is heavy on the oak. I will hold on saying it is so overly done on the oak to be unpleasing but the oak on it is the among the most fierce I have had on a rum. This being a single barrel spirit, is most difficult because oak levels will be different each time. This cask though I feel was very high on the oak side, but still enjoyable in strict moderation. The new oak did though make the rum incredibly drinkable and took away any unwanted burn. A true natural rum at 43% ABV with an inability to burn the throat, as long as you are okay with the intensity of the oak flavors, which is mostly woody oak and tobacco, not the vanilla or butterscotch.