Rum Arome

This is the main discussion section. Grab yer cups! All hands on deck!
cyril
Bo'sun

Rum Arome

Post by cyril »

If you have a FB account you may have heard about this new rum called Rum Arôme (Palm Beach) 'True Rum'

here are the messages they posted on their page:
- To produce the best Rum in the world AROME utilizes copper column stills. This is the Art of ARÔME 28 year
-ARÔME 28 Unfiltered
- Rum Country. The sugar cain fields of Panama. This is the "Art of ARÔME".
- French designed and crafted closure features laser cut label with 23mm natural cork. This is the "Art of ARÔME"
- Rum ARÔME 28 Founders Reserve has been limited to 500 numbered, serialized, bottles. Are you on the list?
- "I was just informed that our French Decanters have been delivered, that our heavy glass closures are a few days from arrival, and to expect our elegant hand made gift boxes to be finished by Sept 10th. Trust me that ARÔME 28 is worth the wait. Don't miss your chance to purchase." Cheers, ARÔME Founder & CEO - Andrew Troyer
- Would you be surprised that we contracted the same company who produces perfume bottles for Chanel to produce our closure? We are pleased to present our heavy glass closure. (Photo shoot sample pic) The exceptional quality and massive 23mm natural cork are worthy of our raised lettered laser cut label. ARÔME 28 - "luxury can not be overdone"
and a lot of talkings about the bottle, the laser letters and all. A luxuary bottle, and a rum.

Just enough to start asking questions about the main thing they're selling, not the bottle, but the rum. We did start to question ourselves about it (mainly me, Tatu Kaarlas and Mr Seale).

they talk about a master blender, a 28yo rum, ok.
from what they start to say its not a solera rum, and that "The blend is proprietary and is a blend of rums 28yrs and older."

alright, great. and then, what about the distillery ? their answer is scary, BUT they're not hiding, which is a good thing :

"AROME 28 was produced at Ingenio San Carlos, also known as Las Cabras Distillery. Copper column stills are used and the Rum is distiller at 96 ABV. We are not releasing the number of Rums used in the blend but 28yrs is the minimum age."

the problem now :
96% is illegal
and Las Cabars is not a distillery but an ethanol plant
Last edited by cyril on Thu Sep 10, 2015 3:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
cyril
Bo'sun

Post by cyril »

end of the story:

they asked 'When did you visit? I visited with Robert Burr and Dave Russell. Do you know them?' i said never, not personnally but enough to be aware of the first one perception of rum, which is not mine.
"Thanks for your interest. Hopefully you will travel to Panama and personally visit the distillery. Cheers."
but what distillery? ...
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Funny... and thanks Cyril...

First of all, the highest practical limit that stills achieve is 95% (or 190 proof). This should be considered tasteless vodka or even pure grain alcohol. Anything that even purports to be a rums should be distilled at 90% or less, in the case of pot stills, to about 60 to 65%.

Any distillation at 96% - even if possible - is NOT rum, not even close. And cyril you are SO right - their FB page is almost entirely about this super-duper-intergalactic, crystal-bottled, French carved glass corked bottle. Apparently Dave Russell was consulted on flavor...

https://www.facebook.com/rum.arome
The Black Tot
Admiral

Post by The Black Tot »

Bullshit cannot be overdone.
AK9
Cap'n

Post by AK9 »

sadly Bullshit sells when people dont have the right information.