UK booze taxes are disgusting

This is the main discussion section. Grab yer cups! All hands on deck!
Dai
Minor God

UK booze taxes are disgusting

Post by Dai »

Just got back from my trip to Barcelona and the prices for good quality rum are way cheaper than in the UK.

For instance two bottles of rum Flor De Cana 12 and Santa Theresa 1796 are both £40 each (£80 for both) in the UK but, in Spain I can buy both for the equivalent of £35 not £35 each £35 for both. Talk about being ripped off by the government I find it quite disgusting.

Since the selection in the shop did not match the selection on the website I decided not to buy any rum out there which is a pity. I did pick up a bottle of Black Barel from Mount Gay which I find very nice indeed. Even though it is a NAS rum it is a quality rum and can be sipped or mixed. I had a few glasses last night sippers of course.

Worth picking up.
Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect!

My Link to Save Caribbean Rum Petition
AK9
Cap'n

Post by AK9 »

Agree.
But it is not only taxes. The retailers sometimes set prices high.

How many active members of the project are from UK?
The Fat Rum Pirate
Quartermaster

Post by The Fat Rum Pirate »

Without taxes UK "booze" prices would be the cheapest in Europe.......

We are taxed to death but you have to look at the bigger picture.
Count Silvio
Cabin Boy

Post by Count Silvio »

You think UK taxes are disgusting? Try Finland or Australia... You guys have it good. I rest my case.
Dai
Minor God

Post by Dai »

Count Silvio wrote:You think UK taxes are disgusting? Try Finland or Australia... You guys have it good. I rest my case.
I feel your pain Count!
Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect!

My Link to Save Caribbean Rum Petition
AK9
Cap'n

Post by AK9 »

Dai, Black Tot , Fat Rum there is a tasting which will include Luca and Seale for UK Rumfest. £20 for 4 rare rums.
Think there are still tickets available.
Anyone interested?
AK9
Cap'n

Post by AK9 »

Joined by the biggest experts from the world of Rum, Bourne & Hollingsworth are delighted to invite guests to while away a Tuesday evening sampling four unique and bespoke rums, specially created by master distillers for the first ever Rum Experience Week.

The evening’s engaging hosts consist of some of the worlds most renowned ambassadors; David Morrison from Appleton Rum, Richard Seale from Foursquare, Luca Gargano from Velier Rums, Luis Figueroa from Pampero Rum and Ian Burrrell.

The session will last for 45 minutes, after which, guests will have the ability to mingle and talk one-on-one with the ambassadors, whilst quaffing charismatic B&H cocktails in the charming surroundings of our new basement bar, Below & Hidden.
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Except for the Badassitor Ian, sounds fascinating...

I got two requests (after I ignored the first) from the BA's PR maven, "Iga" who thought enough of the Project to write two personal requests for a free plug. I've made it clear in the past that until his boss apologizes for "borrowing" Luis Ayala's "Rum Experience" logo, colors and "University", and changes same, I will never, ever plug anything that comes within 100 yards of the Intergalactic Badassitor.

For further details of the "borrow", and also a fun and fascinating story of the time the BA and Moi had it out over at the Count's (wherein he made it clear he really didn't understand which countries and Islands were "Caribbean" and which were not...

http://www.rumproject.com/caribbean.html
http://www.rumproject.com/rumforum//vie ... php?t=1030
The Black Tot
Admiral

Post by The Black Tot »

AK9, thanks for asking, and do ask again! - but I'm hosting my mom this week for a tour of England.

I wanted to go and meet Richard personally very badly, but a guy's mom has to come first!