Ego Dept: has the Caner no shame? Clairin Vaval

This is the main discussion section. Grab yer cups! All hands on deck!
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Ego Dept: has the Caner no shame? Clairin Vaval

Post by Capn Jimbo »

What is it about these Canookie webmasters?

Seriously. Let's start with the Frozen One: now engaged - sit down - in his newly created Top One Hundred regurgitated spirits' reviews (!), apparently counting down to New Years. I believe he's down to #34 or so. Whatever. I'll bet you didn't even know that, or if you did, it's not like we've all been desperate to view his selections. Compare to F. Paul Pacult whose Top selections actually mean something, coming from a tip top writer/reviewer who has an amazing palate and brilliant protocol.

Now along comes the Caner, about a day or so after the Paris attack, and releases his latest review of a French island native product (Haiti, Clairin Vaval, raw white and 106 proof firewater) he opens the review with this amazing, self-centered line reflecting his now typical "I had the balls to taste this OP" meme, specifically:
"Looks like water but goes down like a charge of cheerfully boosted C4. You won't mistake it for any other rhum; except maybe its cousins. "
I'm dead serious, a direct quote.

It's bad enough that he rarely and reluctantly adds water to anything, then dramatizes the ball shriveling experience but to compare this French white unaged clairin to "a charge of cheerfully (!) boosted (stolen) C4" - a powerful military explosive (perhaps even used by the Paris suicide terrorists?) is completely without taste. I can't even imagine his motives other than what some might consider a quasi-pathological addiction to a look-at-me, aren't-I-clever-and-hyperbolic style of writing.

He goes on adding the usual obtuse descriptions such as "...among the wildest, angriest and most rip-snorting rums available", "...You kind of have to breathe deep after each sip when sampling this rhum", "as you gaze at your glass the first time you try the Vaval and give vent to a disbelieving "Putain mais était quoi ça?" (French for "what the fack!"), ",,,Very strong and almost sharp, of course ; it was 52.5% after all...", and the like. He practically gives Luca an e-BJ, and has an orgasm retelling the story of how Luca found and paid for a lovely piece of art for the the price of a few bottles of this motherfackin, awesome dram, lol...

In sum, this review, like so many others, is "...all about me, my amazing discoveries, relationships and ability to tolerate phenomenal amounts of pain" - all for the cause, of course. Along with hero worship, and clever but inaccessibile hyperbolic comparisons. "Like a cab driver masturbating in between fares" (my words) kind of mooseshit. But that may be what we expect and may be forced to accept from such ego-driven writers. But the one thing I can't accept?

The extremely poor taste and timing of a stolen explosive allusion, so soon after Paris. And that is fackin unforgiveable.

http://thelonecaner.com/241/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C-4_%28explosive%29
Last edited by Capn Jimbo on Sun Nov 22, 2015 10:31 am, edited 5 times in total.
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Post by Capn Jimbo »

For those who care...

Here's a couple of links to one of the few on-site articles about Clairin by Bunnyhugs - nicely done - as well as a link to a youtube video showing Mr. Vaval and his tiny Haitian distillery that is reminiscent - seriously - of American backcountry, illegal moonshine operations (some of which still exist).

Both worth your time....

http://bunnyhugs.org/2008/10/15/all-about-clairin/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UyLhr3VB-ak

And with all due respect to Gargano, you will quickly realize that this Haitian product is quite basic, and completely unaged or modified. Velier has discovered that you can simply rebottle it with an "arts" label, and market it effectively to justify a premium price of $55 plus shipping.

Tell me, which one would you pay $55 for - the Haitian street or Velier's repackaged, highly marketed version?

JaRiMi
Admiral

Post by JaRiMi »

I've not tasted these at all, but all I have heard is that they are very tasty. Makes me wonder if they are anything like the Savanna high-ester white rum I HAVE tasted, the Lontan? No idea..But for an unaged product the price is pretty high (ahh, of course it is possible to say that it's due to the rarity and small batch production...oh well).

Hope to try some one day.
cyril
Bo'sun

Post by cyril »

note there are industrial clairin and traditional ones...

the link you posted CJ talk about the industrial ones (Nazon and Lakay), which are -to my opinion- really bad ones. You cant compare these with the ones produced by smaller ones (about 500 micro distillery in Haiti). Even if some bad people produced real poison too :/

If Clairin is "quite basic" in the way its authentic, natural (old sugarcane varieties are still produced, very long natural fermentation and traditional distillation, bottled fullproof), then i do love quite basic stuff very much :wink: , and i hope there will be more in the market for rum lovers.

the ones bottled and sold by Velier company is about 25/30€, whiwh are good price to my opinion for such an authentic and flavourful product (and the art on th elabels come from hatitian artists)
Last edited by cyril on Tue Dec 08, 2015 5:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
cyril
Bo'sun

Post by cyril »

JaRiMi wrote:I've not tasted these at all, but all I have heard is that they are very tasty. Makes me wonder if they are anything like the Savanna high-ester white rum I HAVE tasted, the Lontan? No idea..But for an unaged product the price is pretty high (ahh, of course it is possible to say that it's due to the rarity and small batch production...oh well).

think about how its done, i dont see the price that high (just compare it to other pur juice white rhum, but not to molasses white rum). it could sounds high for the haitian market tho.

its more flavourful than Lontan white rum :)

Really different in the sens you get more flavour and different ones. I dont remember the ester amount of each ones, but the Casimir one is a real bomb. If you like the Lontan you will love Clairins (artisanal ones)
The Fat Rum Pirate
Quartermaster

Post by The Fat Rum Pirate »

cyril wrote:
JaRiMi wrote:I've not tasted these at all, but all I have heard is that they are very tasty. Makes me wonder if they are anything like the Savanna high-ester white rum I HAVE tasted, the Lontan? No idea..But for an unaged product the price is pretty high (ahh, of course it is possible to say that it's due to the rarity and small batch production...oh well).

think about how its done, i dont see the price that high (just compare it to other pur juice white rhum, but not to molasses white rum). it could sounds high for the haitian market tho.

its more flavourful than Lontan white rum :)

Really different in the sens you get more flavour and different ones. I dont remember the ester amount of each ones, but the Casimir one is a real bomb. If you like the Lontan you will love Clairins (artisanal ones)
I've got a the Clairin Casimir to try review will be posted in the New Year sometime.
cyril
Bo'sun

Post by cyril »

glad to hear that :!:
i think thats the kind of stuff you love or you hate. Is that the 1st or 2nd batch ?
The Fat Rum Pirate
Quartermaster

Post by The Fat Rum Pirate »

cyril wrote:glad to hear that :!:
i think thats the kind of stuff you love or you hate. Is that the 1st or 2nd batch ?
2nd batch. It's something I need to try. I don't believe in commenting on things until I've tried them whenever possible.