Is St. Nicholas Rum Still made by Foursquare?

This is the main discussion section. Grab yer cups! All hands on deck!
edgarallanpoe
Quartermaster

Is St. Nicholas Rum Still made by Foursquare?

Post by edgarallanpoe »

The thread by The Captain piqued my interest on this rum. I have it available to me here in Pa but it looks *expensive*. A couple of questions for you good folks...

1. I *think* I read somewhere that it is made by Foursquare. Is that accurate?

2. Is it a special rum or is it simply a $30-40 bottle of rum in a seriously fancy bottle?
mamajuana
Admiral

Post by mamajuana »

This rum was initially provided by foursquare distillery. They barreled it in their own casks after receiving it. They now produce their own rum in a small pot still.

Anything older than 5 years is foursquare distillate. They recently released their own 5 year aged rum and have a nice white rum they make.

The 8, 10, and 15 year bottles are surely foursquare distillate. These are the bottles you can obtain in PA. I have never heard anything bad about these bottles at all. They are highly regarded though rather pricey. They are much cheaper at the distillery, though if you want one and can get it easily I would recommend the purchase as it is much cheaper than a trip to Barbados which I have planned soon. The bottle is nice and so is its contents, I have not tried the 8,10, or 15 year rum but a few I consider to be great rum lovers have and thought it was the pinnacle of rums. I don't think these older foursquare variants will last much longer either. If a 15 year was available locally I'm certain I would have pulled the trigger by now.
The Black Tot
Admiral

Post by The Black Tot »

I have stared at this bottle on shelves a little.

I'm pretty sure this is awesome stuff. I've enjoyed most of what Richard makes, and my fave is his Rum Sixty-Six and the Seale's 10, so I seem to like his stuff particularly when it gets particularly well-aged and gets some barrel roundness on it.

But the price point of the SNA stuff is just predatory, in my opinion. I'm focusing elsewhere until Richard starts releasing his own 15yr+ products at cask strength, which I'm confident will hit the market at much better value, and I'll have the freedom to add the amount of water that works for me, rather than what works for SNA.