Anyone in the US ever ordered from The Whiskey Exchange?

This is the main discussion section. Grab yer cups! All hands on deck!
edgarallanpoe
Quartermaster

Anyone in the US ever ordered from The Whiskey Exchange?

Post by edgarallanpoe »

Just wondering how everything went if you ordered from them. I was looking at their site and they have some stuff I can't get here in PA so I was thinking about biting the bullet and getting a couple of bottles. I know I'll be paying a premium but I can't get this stuff over here at all.
The Fat Rum Pirate
Quartermaster

Re: Anyone in the US ever ordered from The Whiskey Exchange?

Post by The Fat Rum Pirate »

edgarallanpoe wrote:Just wondering how everything went if you ordered from them. I was looking at their site and they have some stuff I can't get here in PA so I was thinking about biting the bullet and getting a couple of bottles. I know I'll be paying a premium but I can't get this stuff over here at all.
They offer a great service here in the UK - and delivery charges to the US are clearly marked out on their site.

However, you will be paying through the nose for whatever you order as you will be paying shipping to the US and you will already have paid all our taxes on the bottle price.

What exactly on The Whisky Exchange is so enticing?
Mrspragoo
Cabin Boy

Post by Mrspragoo »

Actually yes I have. They had 2 bottles of Appleton master blenders legacy, which I bought and had shipped to me in N.Y.. took about 10 days if I remember correctly. Was a smooth transaction.
mamajuana
Admiral

Post by mamajuana »

Yeah, if it's rare expensive it may be worth the 50 dollar shipping roughly on a few bottles. Americans are not subject to VAT either and are not charged in on their website when ordering making things somewhat cheaper but after a few bottles the shipping cost and customs start taking a bigger bite.

There are also a few bottles (very rarely) that come cheaper over there sometimes for unknown reasons, generally the very high end. The one I bought was a 30 year Origenes Don Pancho rum. It was 430 dollars or so USD plus tax here. It was a little over 200 USD on the Exchange so even with shipping far cheaper.

There are many bottles that are unobtainable in the USA on that website. What we can get here is way out of line on there though even without VAT. If its something you really want though it may be worth it. I know when my TOZ gold rum from St. Lucia runs out I'll be looking for more somewhere, an amazing true rum.
edgarallanpoe
Quartermaster

Post by edgarallanpoe »

What exactly on The Whisky Exchange is so enticing?
They have several bottles of rum from the old Caroni factory. My wife is from Trinidad and Tobago and getting some of that stuff would be very nice.

So it is a little bit more than me just wanting something I can't get. It would also be doing something nice for my wife who can be very homesick at this time of the year, so I do everything I can to help.

We even made several batched of Ponch de Creme a few weeks ago. lol
mamajuana
Admiral

Post by mamajuana »

You know Duncan Taylor has some nice Caroni bottles state side worth a shot. They have a 17 year Cask strength Caroni bottling. They have it at Astor wines and Spirits in NYC I believe they may also ship to your Local.

This may sound odd to some here but one of my go to mixers if I'm ever mixing which I know from your posts is your main drinking preference is Plantation 73% Over Proof rum from Trinidad. Its flavor is incredible in mixed drinks. This rum is also not "double aged" They simply ship the rum and bottle it, a much more authentic rum from Trinidad than their others which involve dosing, and cognac barrels, then more barrels after that sometimes. If you try this rum for mixing you won't regret it, I can say that much, an amazing mixer with incredible flavor, and they come in 1L bottles 26.00 a bottle here. That stretches to nearly 2L at 40% an amazing value for such a strong rum.
edgarallanpoe
Quartermaster

Post by edgarallanpoe »

They have it at Astor wines and Spirits in NYC I believe they may also ship to your Local.
Unfortunately not. PA doesn't allow for outside shipping. Only State Store purchases. very frustrating sometimes
mamajuana
Admiral

Post by mamajuana »

edgarallanpoe wrote:
They have it at Astor wines and Spirits in NYC I believe they may also ship to your Local.
Unfortunately not. PA doesn't allow for outside shipping. Only State Store purchases. very frustrating sometimes

Well does this not include another Country? I checked and PA was not a restricted shipment State on their website, they are shipping there I just checked with a Pittsburgh, PA zip code. You see the thing about states rights is they can control what goes on in their State, but they have no right to tell another State such as NY what to do. Even private entities which wish to ship spirits there. They have no legal standing to protest. Any threat is idle here as they have no legal recourse in court. The last time a person was charged for ordering spirits for personal use out of state against states rights was during the time of prohibition.
edgarallanpoe
Quartermaster

Post by edgarallanpoe »

Thats interesting. I've tried to order from outside the state and everyone I have tried has denied me. Looks like Astor will ship to me. Cool. Thanks for the heads up.
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Post by Capn Jimbo »

This may sound odd to some here but one of my go to mixers if I'm ever mixing which I know from your posts is your main drinking preference is Plantation 73% Over Proof rum from Trinidad. Its flavor is incredible in mixed drinks. This rum is also not "double aged" They simply ship the rum and bottle it, a much more authentic rum from Trinidad than their others which involve dosing, and cognac barrels, then more barrels after that sometimes.
Good info Mama, with just one caveat: it's my position that while the term "dosing" has been and remains an adjective used for cognac, that usage was never a part of rum lexicon until Plantation got in trouble over alteration by sugaring.

In that case, and in his debate with Richard Seale, Plantation tried devilishly to use the adjective "dosing" to (a) deflect attention to a less damaging descriptor and (b) to imply that is was both common and - acceptable (not at all).

The correct term at the least, is "sugaring" - direct, honest and truly descriptive. For years (and unlike cognac) the rum producers denied alteration by sugaring - now that that myth has been powerfully destroyed, they are working hard to pretend yes, it was going on all the while, and sure, was/is just fine and how?

By misusing the term "dosing". Please let us not fall prey to that tactic....
mamajuana
Admiral

Post by mamajuana »

Capn Jimbo wrote:
This may sound odd to some here but one of my go to mixers if I'm ever mixing which I know from your posts is your main drinking preference is Plantation 73% Over Proof rum from Trinidad. Its flavor is incredible in mixed drinks. This rum is also not "double aged" They simply ship the rum and bottle it, a much more authentic rum from Trinidad than their others which involve dosing, and cognac barrels, then more barrels after that sometimes.
Good info Mama, with just one caveat: it's my position that while the term "dosing" has been and remains an adjective used for cognac, that usage was never a part of rum lexicon until Plantation got in trouble over alteration by sugaring.

In that case, and in his debate with Richard Seale, Plantation tried devilishly to use the adjective "dosing" to (a) deflect attention to a less damaging descriptor and (b) to imply that is was both common and - acceptable (not at all).

The correct term at the least, is "sugaring" - direct, honest and truly descriptive. For years (and unlike cognac) the rum producers denied alteration by sugaring - now that that myth has been powerfully destroyed, they are working hard to pretend yes, it was going on all the while, and sure, was/is just fine and how?

By misusing the term "dosing". Please let us not fall prey to that tactic....

Point taken an accepted. I believe we as a community ought to avoid this term, as it seems to just push the sugaring liberal's agenda, as something that is okay and accepted.
The Black Tot
Admiral

Post by The Black Tot »

Probably a good tip on the Trini overproof, mama, but I just can't give 'em my money!
The Fat Rum Pirate
Quartermaster

The Black Tot wrote:Probably a good tip on the Trini overproof, mama, but I just can't give 'em my money!
You're not missing much Tot. Added sugar or not (I never tested it) it's similar to the 40% ABV Trini Plantation - it tastes like Tesco Dark Rum and other cheap supermarket blends. Awful stuff
mamajuana
Admiral

Post by mamajuana »

I have to disagree strongly on the 73% being anywhere similar to the 40% variety which was double aged in cognac barrels. The Cognac finish is very evident on the 40% its got a completely different flavor profile, does not taste remotely similar. Please water down the 73% to 40% and do a comparison and tell me we have the same thing here. Though I respect the fact that you dislike this particular rum as you are not alone in this, potentially the US and UK batches were different. I happen to highly enjoy it, to each their own I suppose.
The Fat Rum Pirate
Quartermaster

mamajuana wrote:I have to disagree strongly on the 73% being anywhere similar to the 40% variety which was double aged in cognac barrels. The Cognac finish is very evident on the 40% its got a completely different flavor profile, does not taste remotely similar. Please water down the 73% to 40% and do a comparison and tell me we have the same thing here. Though I respect the fact that you dislike this particular rum as you are not alone in this, potentially the US and UK batches were different. I happen to highly enjoy it, to each their own I suppose.
I said similar not the same. It's a cheap Trini blend nothing more nothing less.

I don't really know why you think there is potential for the Plantation offering in the US to be different to the UK one? I'm not aware of any differences in other Plantation bottlings.

I'm quite content to say the stuff is awful - if you think otherwise I don't think it will have anything to do with differences in the bottlings. We all have our different tastes and appreciate different things.