DDL Announces El Dorado Rare Collection

This is the main discussion section. Grab yer cups! All hands on deck!
sailor22
Quartermaster

Post by sailor22 »

Recently tasted all three of these and I would rate them
Port Mourant first, Enmore second and Versailes a distant third.

So you can pony up three times as much for a Velier (if you can find one) or scoop up one or two of these. The PM and Enmore are maybe a click less intense than the Velier counterpart but they are excellent representation of barrel proof product from their respective stills.

Prices are almost reasonable at something like $230 complete with shipping from Europe.(and that approaches $50per)

We keep complaining about fake premiums who's product comes from an anonymous alcohol plant in central america and are flavored and doctored. Well here is a genuine barrel proof premium product from a named still that is from a large producer. The Port Mourant and the Enmore are worth the dosh INMO.
JaRiMi
Admiral

Post by JaRiMi »

sailor22 wrote:Recently tasted all three of these and I would rate them
Port Mourant first, Enmore second and Versailes a distant third.

So you can pony up three times as much for a Velier (if you can find one) or scoop up one or two of these. The PM and Enmore are maybe a click less intense than the Velier counterpart but they are excellent representation of barrel proof product from their respective stills.

Prices are almost reasonable at something like $230 complete with shipping from Europe.(and that approaches $50per)

We keep complaining about fake premiums who's product comes from an anonymous alcohol plant in central america and are flavored and doctored. Well here is a genuine barrel proof premium product from a named still that is from a large producer. The Port Mourant and the Enmore are worth the dosh INMO.

Quoting from http://rumcorner.blogspot.fi/2016/02/re ... ion_8.html :

"DDL doesn’t shy away from adding sugar and possibly other stuff to their usual lineup, so of course I had to put these three collectors rums through a little chat with the old hydrometer.

After a couple of skinny dips, the following results came out:

- Versailles 2002: 14 g/l
- Enmore 1993: 3 g/l
- Port Mourant 1999: 4 g/l

The measurements from the Enmore and Port Mourant can be attributed to wood extracts and/or inaccuracies of my measuring gear, but the Versailles definitely has something added to it. If not, my gear has gone seriously wonky, since it measured the first two at next to nothing.

I crossed checked my gear with a handful of previously measured rums as well as a brand, spanking new one, which I positively knew was 100% clean. All measurements checked out, so I’m forced to conclude that the Versailles has been tampered with.

Seeing the monstrosities DDL does to their 21+ and 25+ year old rums, I can’t say that I’m surprised. I’m sure they had a good reason to alter the Versailles, although I can’t help feeling a bit deceived.

They are supposed to be rare collectors rums, and by adding stuff to the rum, they are basically selling me a 1965 Ford Mustang with a rear fender from a 2010 Ford Focus, under the pretence of being an all original vintage 1965 Shelby Mustang GT350.

You can't do that. Shame on you DDL..."

Well, seems that at least they have resisted the temptation with 2 out of 3 releases, but why muck it up at all? Guyanese must have one helluva swet tooth these days.

Price comparison given is a bt unfair. When the Velier releases came out, they cost half or less compared to these bottlings in Europe.