Legal: ACS' "Rum Dialogues" try to define Rum

This is the main discussion section. Grab yer cups! All hands on deck!

Do you believe most rums are flavored?

Yes
75%
No
No votes
Let's have a dialogue about it...
25%

Total votes: 4

Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Legal: ACS' "Rum Dialogues" try to define Rum

Post by Capn Jimbo »

The "Rum Dialogues": Blah, blah, blah...

"Rum Dialogues"? Why in heaven's name would I even impart formality to this phrase? Aren't all rum forums "dialogues"? Not on your mommie's life. And certainly not over at the Shillery of Rum, headed by our dear Preacher Ed and his merry band of rum-hazed, "...it's all good" sycophantic clones.

Not at all.

Actually, there were real "Rum Dialogues", which were a series of ACS (Assoc. of Caribbean States) sponsored, official get-togethers beginning in 2002, wherein WIRSPA and interested Caribbean countries and their representatives got together to work toward - gulp! - a definition of rum. All told there were six "dialogues" held in six different countries and ending in 2008. And what did six long years of meeting achieve?

Not much. Actually nothing.

But I digress. You are no doubt wondering just why there was a need for such "dialogues". Simply, Big Brother WIRSPA was concerned about rum sales and claiming a "...need for a common rum definition among FTAA countries, mainly to prevent the numerous national regulations from becoming obstacles to the trade...".

And so they set forward what turned out to be conflicting goals, to...
(a) establish a simple common definition for rum in the hemisphere; and (b) ensure the fundamental and sovereign right of all countries to establish national regulations governing the local production of rum greater than those outlined in the proposal.
Let's take part (a) first, the "simple definition". The participants had an immediate and visceral reaction, which included:
1. The need for more detail in the organoleptic characteristics of rum, aging requirements, in addition to establishing differences with other products obtained from sugar cane such as “Aguardiente”.

2. The definition must be simple and flexible in such a manner that it include countries’ criteria. There will be flexibility in the alcohol content and when specifying the components of the product.

3. The definition will not restrict the trading of other drinks.

4. Several delegations mentioned that a common definition would contribute to consensus being achieved within the framework of the FTAA, and that the exercise could prove useful in other trade forums such as the World Trade Organisation (WTO).

5. The Costa Rican delegation expressed that for now, it does not believe it is sensible to define a position in this respect, since consultations are in progress with the private sector, and given that said internal consultation process taking place with all sectors regarding FTAA negotiations has not been completed.

6. The Cuban delegation presented a proposal for the definition to establish the following regarding alcohol content: “…distilled at an alcohol content up to 96% alcohol by volume at 20 degrees Celsius; and…”
Are you beginning to get the picture? Chaos! Total and complete. And the annual "dialogue" continued in this fragmented manner until the vaunted "4th Rum Dialogue" in 2007. Five years and still no final agreement. As close as they got was the Dominican suggestion wherein unaged product should be classified as “sugar cane liquor or aguardiente”.

WIRSPA promoted the EU (European Union) version which which classified it as “a spirit drink exclusively produced by alcoholic fermentation and distillation, either from molasses or syrup produced in the manufacture of cane sugar or from sugar-cane juice itself and distilled at less than 96% vol.

But still no real agreement, and chaos reigned supreme. No less than Manual Madriz Fornos, trade representative of the 27-member ACR admitted that the dialogues had been for naught, and recognized that the members couldn't even agree on a basic definition beyond "any liquor made from sugarcane or its byproducts", much less on "best practices" for producing it.

It gets worse.

At the fourth conference, the Chairman made sure to even table a motion to just discuss "best practices" (a subject that would no doubt include the subject of the dreaded-but-common practice of - help me Lord! - additives!). Two more "dialogues" were held, the last in Cuba in 2008. And still nothing accomplished.

Bottom line:

Rum never was a "noble spirit" beyond the wet dream of Preacher Ed and his fellow shills. A poster's report of a meeting in the Preacher's Martinique said it best...
"Riding an international wave of demand, Caribbean rum producers are hard at work refining their famously ruffian wares for the connoisseur. Once a shameful profit of New World slavery, the rotgut fuel of the American Revolution and the favored tipple for frat parties and prom night, rum (hopes to enter) the crystal-and-cigars splendor of fine parlors."
It should be clear that, with the notable exception of the wonderful Richard Seale, I know of few distillers who are willing to openly and honestly report and label their rums as "flavored" when, in fact, most - yes, most - rums are indeed adulterated.

Here's what it all means. The rum you are drinking - regardless of the faux gold medal it may have received in a faux category at a faux "competition" - is likely adulterated with flavorings and additives. It is likely not "pure aged rum" and you will have no real idea of what the underlying rum component is all about.

Put that in your pipe, er snifter...
Last edited by Capn Jimbo on Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:48 am, edited 4 times in total.
JaRiMi
Admiral

Post by JaRiMi »

There's still today no agreement amongst rum producers on the rules, ingredients, methods - nothing. This to me as a rum lover is disappointing and leads to a situation where as a customer I cannot know what has caused my rum to taste as it does - equally disappointing. That's not exactly a guarantee of quality.

What is more disappointing to me at least is really the deep lack of openness distillers have regarding their methods. very, very few of those rum producers who spice up their aged rums see the need to tell us, the consumers, about such practices. Some say c'mon, give them a break - its all part of trade secrets!! OK, fair enough: I am not asking them to give me the recipe, just to tell me if they have spiced/macerated their rums at any stage would already be a heck of a good start..!

I sincerely hope that some producers will get the courage to at least openly state that "no, I am not using extra additives, essences, spices or any such method in order to get my rum to taste as it is". You know what? I would immediately elevate this rum producer and their rums on a pedestal and tell anyone who wishes to taste "pure aged premium rum" about their fabulous products. I give speeches about rum to public on occasion and I would like to be able to promote some of my very favorite rums as "pure rums". Sadly since the rum manufacturers in question (or their representatives in Europe) have not given me any clear statements on whether or not they use spiced rum spirits in their blends, I am unable to do so - tough luck, but thats the way it is going to stay for now. Sure, I am just one person, but when the word reaches enough people, I won't be the only one asking questions..

Right now it seems that most producers will not say no or yes when asked, perhaps due to some kind of an (silent) agreement or fear of tangled business relations.

Sadly even most writers or self-made rum promoters hate to touch this topic. Just read Dave Broom's wonderful book on rum, but found no discussion in it about the funny practices used by some to make fine aged products supposedly getting their taste from sugar cane...Somewhat disappointing, since the story about rum production & aging was a repeat of the same old same old.

I gotta say that luckily in the world of whisky there are people like those fellas running the Malt Maniac website, because they do not stay silent about any aspect of whisky production done by any distiller, company or society. They will inform the public, argue their case with producers, expose any funny business and, most importantly, promote whiskies better than anyone else exactly because we the consumers can really trust them!
Capn Jimbo

And about the "second most sophisticated" tasters.

Post by Capn Jimbo »

And about the "second most sophisticated" tasters...

J, you are right on the money. I'm still laughing about Preacher Ed's notion that rum drinkers are "the second most sophisticated" (to whiskey/whisky). It wasn't long before I noted that there are really very few competent reviews or reviewers at that website.

Rum has not even developed a beginner's "rum tasting wheel" or guide (I'm working on one), while whisky has many. So does wine (for some very sophisticated tasters). And beer. And chocolate. And cheese. And more...

But not rum.

What you do get is a lot of "it's all good", knowing comments about what a great rum this or that one is - and many of these are actually flavored! Great flavors, maybe. Great rum, hardly. It's the blind who arrived earlier leading the blind latecomers.

Sue Sea and I have gotten to the point that when we detect unannounced flavoring or additives covering up the underlying rum, we are almost unavoidably put off and disappointed.

I've had quite enough of this nobility tripe. Fortunately there are a number of truly great rums that are noble indeed. But until distillers following the lead of Richard Seale (and a few others) finally come out and take a public stand, the many dishonestly labeled adulterated rums will obscure and poison the playing field...
Pyrate Surgeon
Cabin Boy

Re: And about the "second most sophisticated" tast

Post by Pyrate Surgeon »

Capn Jimbo wrote:Rum has not even developed a beginner's "rum tasting wheel" or guide (I'm working on one), while whisky has many. So does wine (for some very sophisticated tasters). And beer. And chocolate. And cheese. And more...

But not rum.
For which those of us still searching, tasting--many times spewing--and arguing, a guide is long over-due.

Cap'n Jimbo, We're Waiting!! :D
The Rhum comes After the surgery, mate!
Capn Jimbo

The final word...

Post by Capn Jimbo »

The final word...

The original ACS Rum Dialogues were four in number and done at the behest of WIRSPA and CARICOM, and performed by ACS as part of the negotiation process of the Free Trade Treaty of the Americas (FTAA). The goal was simple:

To reach a common definition of rum.

But really not so simple. Politics and internecine differences resulted in chaos and total failure of the many different countries to agree on anything. When the negotiations broke down, so did the dialogues in 2004. In a final measure of desperation a Fifth Rum Dialogue was scheduled in 2007.

This too failed. Here's what happened at that final meeting:

1. WIRSPA alluded to the European Union's definition "...a spirit drink exclusively produced by alcoholic fermentation and distillation, either from molasses or syrup produced in the manufacture of cane sugar or from sugar cane juice itself and distilled at less than 96% vol. alcohol".

2. Cuba insisted that it be made clear that the origin of rum must be specifically stated as “exclusively from sugar cane”. They also admitted "the difficulty of reaching a single definition in light of the peculiarities of each country".

3. The Dominican Republic presented their dual definition of rum, which ".. requires ageing for a minimum of 1 year and which has been accepted by the WTO" - along with - "Rum which has been fermented and distilled in the Dominican Republic but not aged for a minimum of 1 year must be identified as aguardiente de caña".

Clear as mud.

In closing, the best the ACS - and all the supporting organizations could achieve was to set up a working group to continue this circle jerk, wherein the group members were encouraged to each have fun - as long as they agreed to keep their hands off anyone else's, uh, ideas.

The name of the group is The Working Group on Rum. Look it up. But keep your hands to yourself...