Odd bottle

This is the main discussion section. Grab yer cups! All hands on deck!
Beukeboom
Quartermaster

Odd bottle

Post by Beukeboom »

Is it just me or does this look more like a bottle of shampoo rather than a bottle of rum? And calling it "Hibiscus Royal" doesn't help.

AK9
Cap'n

Post by AK9 »

Good one! Wondering who designed this.
Make sure you dont mix your shampoo and your rum bottles.

The Haig whisjy bottle is also crap. Looks like an aftershave...
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Post by Capn Jimbo »

For those gunowners among us...

...a lot of guys - especially those that like to take over government facilities in Oregon - like to carry their hand guns "hot": cocked and ready to fire. They believe that somehow gaining an extra tenth of a second is going to pay off. Sadly, the payoff is often shooting oneself in the foot. OTOH, the Israeli's - who have a lot more reason to be armed - don't do that. The weapon of choice is most often a Glock, which they cock only after it has left the holster, and on the way forward to aim and...

Wait.

Yup, the Israelis are taught to program in a brief pause at the end of draw to have that last split second in which to decide whether to fire or not. This reduces the possibility that an innoocent might be hurt or killed by a hurried shot. The pause is a last second opportunity to be sure that shooting to kill is appropriate.

Flat Ass Bottom Line

Now I'll be honest, I did find the presentation a bit unusual to say the least, and the citation of the name didn't really make any marketing sense. But before I joined in the pile on, I well, paused and decided to research it first before blowing their screw on cap off, lol. The facts:
  • 1. It's a flavored rum, and yup, flavored with...
    2. hibiscus flowers from the Mauritius islands.
Aha! So now both the bottle - and even moreseo the name - make sense. It goes without saying that flavored rums and rum creams and liqueurs are found in non traditional bottles, and with non traditional names (eg "Rum Chata").

It is natural to interpret this cane juice rhum in the shadow of the distilleries, traditions, bottles and presentations of the Caribbean. But NPK is nearly half a world away and they have their own culture, methods, tastes and local presentations that make a great deal of sense to them.

The fact that they are different is not silly - rather, I find it rather engaging. This cane juice rum is made from newly crushed cane, via a copper still to "70-75%". That is impressive. As appeals to their home market, apparently the Mauritians like good rums flavored with natural elements like local hibiscus flowers, melon, apple ginger. et al. It appears that these fresh fruits et al are then macerated with the alcohol. A bit of 5 year aged rum is added for complexity.

Best yet, the distiller's home page is transparent, and completely honest and informative. Frankly, I'm rather interested in a unique and authentically flavored rum - not made from industrial, artificially flavored near vodka - but from rich, possibly batched copper stills (sounds like a single copper short column) from cane juice: labor intensive and a rum I'd try in a microsecond. I can only imagine that the vegetal cane juice profile and the addition of fresh, macerated flowers and/or fruit and spices is intruiguing.

This is a very different and equally appealing product. It deserves its own look.

Until then my friends, I'd try decaf and next time you're at the range, try the Israeli method...

http://www.npkrhum.com/the-origins-of-rhum/
Last edited by Capn Jimbo on Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
Beukeboom
Quartermaster

Post by Beukeboom »

Good points all. But still looks like a shampoo bottle to me.

Unfortunately I won't be able to ever sample their rums since they are not obtainable where I live (as are a lot of rums I'd love to try).
mamajuana
Admiral

Post by mamajuana »

This may not be as crazy at its seems. Rum was used in the 1800's for hair cleaning.
“New England rum, constantly used to wash the hair, keeps it very clean, and free from disease, and promotes its growth a great deal more than Macassar oil. Brandy is very strengthening to the roots of the hair; but it has a hot, drying tendency, which N.E. rum has not” – pg. 12 The American Frugal Housewife (published 1833).
http://ourheritageofhealth.com/victoria ... ernatives/

Further modern info promoting rum for hair growth:

http://rum-drinks.com/rum-as-a-hair-loss-treatment/

With all the flavors maybe this is meant to be more of a hair product that something someone would drink.
AK9
Cap'n

Post by AK9 »

Good point about the research Capt. Pot still..

Some people will like the bottles, some wont.

Why most rum companies use glass instead? Is it safer or cheaper or better for marketing or for preservation or tradition? And are they using aluminium bottles or stainless steel? What kind of epoxy (BPA free)?
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Post by Capn Jimbo »

I don't know where the notion that this bottle is plastic is coming from..

I'd assumed this one was made from glass, just like the unusual Rum Chata white glass bottle you may have seen. The use of plastic is dominated by large distillers for their very cheapest of their already cheap products, and may be noted in the sale of mini's. Personally, I will drink no alcohol that is delivered in plastic of any kind. Again shooters, a bit of research is useful:

http://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/N ... 14598.html

The product is delivered in aluminum, screw top bottles, which would be uh, rather difficult to squeeze, lol. But to be fair, although I would consider a spirit delivered in aluminum (never plastic), I'd still prefer safe and standard glass.

Oh another thing: AK, my error - I'd at first misinterpreted their mention of distillation in a "copper still" as a pot still. When they mentioned the used of "plates" it's clear that they are probably using a single mini-column, in a single run (ala the Martinique products) to a rather rich 70-75%. I then removed the word "pot" but missed one, thanks.

As far as the plastic notion, this no doubt emanated from the OP and the unfortunate comparison of the bottling to plastic shampoo bottles. A lesson in marketing and politics, eh?
Beukeboom
Quartermaster

Post by Beukeboom »

mamajuana wrote:This may not be as crazy at its seems. Rum was used in the 1800's for hair cleaning.
I did not know that. Thanks for the info.