Timber Creek Distilling/Distillery (Crestview, Florida)

This is the main discussion section. Grab yer cups! All hands on deck!
Beukeboom
Quartermaster

Post by Beukeboom »

Another question...anything special you guys are planning for future release?
TimberCreekDistillery
Greaser

New Releases

Post by TimberCreekDistillery »

Our next release will be our whiskey. We will be releasing Florida's first Bourbon and and Rye. We are launching them at the Bourbon, Beer, and Butts festival that kicks off the Alys Beach Wine Festival in 2 weeks. The Bourbon part is March 11th.

We will be releasing 3 whiskeys at the event. A Florida Bourbon....made from local Corn and Wheat and a little Barley....it will be a light bourbon kind of like Makers Mark. A Reserve Florida Bourbon....made from Local Corn, Wheat, and Rye....and a little Barley. And last, but not least, a Florida Black Rye....made from 100% Florida 401 Black Rye. We are really excited about the whiskeys.

After we get the whiskeys out, we will switch back to making Rum. We will have a few empty Whiskey barrels from our whiskey and will fill them with Rum....so we can make a true barrel aged Rum. These are 15 gallon barrels so they should age out pretty quickly. We will probably sit on them for a year.
Beukeboom
Quartermaster

Post by Beukeboom »

Aged rums from those barrels. Sounds good. Are you thinking about reserving a portion longer in a barrel or two?
Beukeboom
Quartermaster

Post by Beukeboom »

One other question from out of left field: who designed your bottle label?

Okay...two questions: The building in the oval on the bottle label...looks like a mountain or ridge in the background...clearly not the Florida panhandle. What its story?
Beukeboom
Quartermaster

Post by Beukeboom »

Just opened a bottle of Timber Creek Apple Pie...

I'm DRINKING apple pie.

Wow!

Good job!!!

No. OUTSTANDING job!!!

Most flavored rums tend to be overly...even cloyingly sweet and most have a massive artificial taste.

Timber Creek Apple Pie rum does taste like apple pie...I swear I taste buttery crust, too. Maybe that's just my mind playing tricks on me. Or my tastebuds. Just enough sweetness to it.

Delicious.

This would be an interesting dessert rum to serve to unsuspecting guests.

I'm no mixologist but I wonder what sort of cocktails would be concocted using this rum.
TimberCreekDistillery
Greaser

Barrel aged rum question

Ok, let me take these one at a time.

Barrels. We currently have about 160 small 15 gallon barrels and 50 x 53 gallon barrels. Most of the small barrels are full of whiskey and some of the large barrels. The small barrels age out much quicker, but only time can give you the real complexity. I have to say, most people dont really understand how much the barrels contribute to the flavor.

For example, Jack Daniels is famous for talking about their "mellowing vats". IN reality, this is 12' of charcoal. What happened in science class when you ran dirty water through your charcoal filter? Same thing that happens when you run your crappy city water through a Braun filter....it filters out all of the impurities....unfortunately, in whiskey and rum....many of those "impurities" are the flavors we love. So, bottom line is that Jack Daniels, like many large distilleries uses a single pass, continuous still and they filter the heck out of the raw spirit to basically make it almost like vodka....then they depend on their flavor to come from the barrels. And on top of that....Gentleman Jack takes the spirits out of the barrel and filters them again....so it knocks down some of the tannins from the barrel....in this case, smooth = bland and generic....why else would a cooperage (Brown - Forman) own a distillery.

In any case, the general consensus is that the best oak for bourbon whiskey comes from the Ozarks of Missouri. My 15 gallon barrels come from a small family owned and operated cooperage in Missouri....and the barrels are unbelievable....the flavors are fantastic for whiskey. My large barrels come from another cooperate over in Kentucky that has specialized in wine barrels for the most part and is just getting into bourbon barrels. They are the guy s who worked on the Single Barrel project with Buffalo Trace and now they are selling to Buffalo Trace as well (Buffalo Trace makes Pappy VanWinkle...you may have heard of it)

So, are we going to sit on our barrels long term? yes and no. As a small distiller, I dont have the cash to build a 50,000 barrel rickhouse like Buffalo Trace....much less fill the 50,00 barrels and then wait 12 years to sell stuff.....so I have to use a combination of small and large barrels. We will sell off the small barrels of whiskey and then fill them with Rum. We plan to sit on those for about a year and see how they taste....if they taste good, we will bottle and sell those and then refill them again....these will likely leave much longer as the barrel will have been used twice and will be slower to impart its flavors. We will begin to fill a few of the large barrels and will park those for 3-4 years with both whiskey and rum.

ATleast thats our plan right now.
TimberCreekDistillery
Greaser

Apple Pie drinks

WE have experimented with a few unique drinks with the Apple pie. our favorite way to drink it is just over ice. My mother mixes it in tea. Another customer mixed it in hot apple cider when the weather was cold.

For tastings we have poured it over a scoop of vanilla ice cream....its really awesome.....we call it Apple Pie ala Mode......or a simpler version is to just put a float of some cream on top of a shot.

For folks who dont like strong sipping drinks, you can add a little water, soda water, or sprite to it.....and it just tastes like Apple juice.....it goes down too easy.

A few bartenders have suggested mixing it with RumChatta (again, cream), one mixed iwth withEggNog and said ti was awesome, but for lighter drinks, we have mixed an Apple Pie Mojito....it was pretty tasty....and a bit different.

Let us know what you come up with...we are always happy to add new drinks to the list.
TimberCreekDistillery
Greaser

Label question

So, the house in the label is an actual house. My neighbor/partners father purchased that house about 5 years ago. its a 26,000 sq. ft. log cabin on 1400 acres just east of Crestview, Florida.....its georgous. The main living room has 40 foot ceilings and all glass looking out at a beautiful white sandy beach creek. The guy who built the "cabin" named it Timber Creek Lodge....and its engraved over the fireplace. We were allowed to use the metal barn out back as the distillery, so we named our distillery after the lodge....thats how we became Timber Creek Distillery.

In truth, there is no actual Timber Creek....but there are 2 big creeks on the property. The one behind the house is actually Juniper Creek and it feeds into the Shoal River way down stream....its a pretty spectacular view. the picture on the label is actually a picture of the back of the house from the creek.

Our graphic artist is my partners sister and she is really good (Cal Arts grad). She hand drew the cabin from pictures....and added in some creative stuff....like the mountain in the background. On the property, there are actually hills....unlike most of Florida. The highest elevation on the property is over 250 ft above sea level.....but the hills are certainly no where near as big as the background in the picture.

You can see the picture of the house on our Facebook page.....or the house has its own website: TheTimberCreekLodge.com
Beukeboom
Quartermaster

Re: Apple Pie drinks

Post by Beukeboom »

TimberCreekDistillery wrote:WE have experimented with a few unique drinks with the Apple pie. our favorite way to drink it is just over ice. My mother mixes it in tea. Another customer mixed it in hot apple cider when the weather was cold.

For tastings we have poured it over a scoop of vanilla ice cream....its really awesome.....we call it Apple Pie ala Mode......or a simpler version is to just put a float of some cream on top of a shot.

For folks who dont like strong sipping drinks, you can add a little water, soda water, or sprite to it.....and it just tastes like Apple juice.....it goes down too easy.

A few bartenders have suggested mixing it with RumChatta (again, cream), one mixed iwth withEggNog and said ti was awesome, but for lighter drinks, we have mixed an Apple Pie Mojito....it was pretty tasty....and a bit different.

Let us know what you come up with...we are always happy to add new drinks to the list.
Perhaps even a variation of a hot rum toddy on cold nights.

Anyway it is quite excellent.

Next up....Timber Creek Coffee rum
TimberCreekDistillery
Greaser

Coffee Rum

If you like strong coffee....ala starbucks, you will really love this.

We generally just mix it with a little almond milk and make an iced coffee out of it....but its also great by itself over ice....or mixed in hot coffee....or any of your favorite coffee drinks.

An old neighbor from back in California uses it in her Tiramisu.
Beukeboom
Quartermaster

Post by Beukeboom »

Do you know if anyone tried using the apple pie rum for rum cake and/or rum balls? I think it would really make for something unique.
TimberCreekDistillery
Greaser

Rum cake

Several people mentioned that they wanted to try it....one guy even wanted to use it for his pie crust....but havent heard of anyone actually doing it yet.....we have only been selling for about 3 months now.....so its still early. I am sure it will be used in lots of things over time.
mamajuana
Admiral

Post by mamajuana »

Looks like an interesting product. As a lover of US craft spirits, I'd love to give this a try. The white rum in particular. I have reviewed an extensive list of white rums both domestic and foreign and would love to throw this one into the gauntlet. If you could get this product into B-21 Fine Wine & Spirits in Tarpon Springs so it could be sold online, I would surely get some.
TimberCreekDistillery
Greaser

B-21

Hi Mamajuana,

I have reached out to B-21 to introduce myself and Timber Creek. I have also emailed them all of the needed documentation for them to request us from our distributor (Republic National Distributing Company) so they can bring us in.

If you would be so kind as to send them an email and/or call and specifically request our products, it would certainly help move things along. We are still mainly focused on selling here in the Florida Panhandle, but would love to start moving south into the Tampa market as well.

Thanks for your help.

Regards,

Camden Ford