The Pirate Interview: Dave Broom

This is the main discussion section. Grab yer cups! All hands on deck!
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

The Pirate Interview: Dave Broom

Post by Capn Jimbo »

A great interview and a must read...

http://thefatrumpirate.com/5866-2

Very well done, and the kind of insight and information that will not surprise the Project's crew, but which the hoi polloi need to read. A great interview by our mate, the Pirate. My only usual observation: although Broom not surprisingly support the need for honesty in labelling (and the negative effects of sugar, et al), Wes missed two opportunities to query Broom - on Plantation and the decline of El Dorado. It should be noted too that Broom was one of the first to sign the Petition to Save Caribbean Rum (the subsidies). Next time.

Still, all in all a very good and informative interview and the kind we need more of. Up spirits, Wes...
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Ooops...

After a more thorough reading, I was rather shocked to find the Pirate stooping by indirectly trashing Broom in the manner of a Fox Network anchor interviewing a Democratic candidate. This is where an interviewer eludes responsibility for an uncomfortable question by asking something like "Some people have called you a flaming arsehole. Your reaction?".

In the case of Broom, the Pirate refers to a bizarre article and asks this question:
"When researching all you have wrote about rum (and reading a few Whisky articles) I came across this on the internet http://www.britishfoodinamerica.com/Ano ... mV4S2wnxD9 (You need to scroll down to number 8. Bad books on rum. Had you seen this before? And what do you think?
(Bolding by the Pirate)

This caused Broom to be forced to read this absolutely bizarre article wherein this referred author stated:
"It is surprising how little has been written about rum, and depressing how bad much of it is. One popular book, Rum by Dave Broom, is particularly unreliable despite its confident tone. ...Broom provides no authority... Broom also describes seventeenth century Barbados as “an almost mythical place, a fantastical, fertile island where fortunes could be made with virtually no effort. It soon became painfully fashionable.”

[This fakokte author - the Pirate's cited source - then spends several long paragraphs reviewing historical records of slavery, et al, designed to make Broom the fool, then finally finishes by saying]:

"It would be unfair to continue piling on, but worst of all Broom does not even include in his international directory of rums the Editor’s three favorites: Coruba, Pampero Anniversario and Westerhall.”
Poor baby. Broom didn't even review this bozo's favorite altered rums, two of which are simply terrible.

Friends, this article is beyond bizarre. It is crude, and for reasons known only to this hateful writer, this angry writer felt driven to his hateful vendetta. And based on what? Just a couple of very obscure histories not really of rum but rather of Caribbean slavery and its horrors. Seriously, this is truly nuts.

For the Pirate to have searched and discovered this obscure and unconvincingly based insult, and then to toss this hot potato to Broom and ask for a reaction? Really? I don't find such indirect questions either professional nor fair play, particularly for such a well respected and reviewed real author.

Broom - no doubt shocked by this chutzpah - remained calm and professional, stating:
"Hey, it’s one person’s opinion and if there are only two points of disagreement in what is a large book, then I don’t think it’s that serious a criticism. I won’t be losing any sleep over it, put it that way. The good thing is that so many of the primary sources are now available, allowing what is a high complex and contentious history to be explored more fully."
Sadly, this reminds me of another interview some may recall in which a similar question was posed to me not once, but repeatedly. The difference with Broom? The Pirate was smart enough to get right back to what was otherwise a fair and worthwhile interview. And at the least, I now know I'm in good company...

The bizarre histories quoted by the Pirate's strangely referred author were:

Carl and Roberta Bridenbaugh, No Peace Beyond the Line: The English in the Caribbean,
1624-1690 (New York 1972)

Richard Dunn, Sugar & Slaves: The Rise of the Planter Class in the English West Indies,
1624-1713 (New York 1972)

Worse yet, this bizarre writer actually found reason to in part, to actually praise the Preacher's and his out of print book, uh which, er, some say, um, was the worst book on rum ever written, lol...

Your reaction?