Burnt taste in aged rums conund -rum

This is the main discussion section. Grab yer cups! All hands on deck!
Cane Man
Oscar

Burnt taste in aged rums conund -rum

Post by Cane Man »

No matter how pricey or good quality the rum, recently I've developed a dislike for a common aroma in aged rums, I can only define as "burnt" or "charred". Liquid smoke comes to mind as well.

It seems this aroma is inherently part of any aged rum's production process, as charring the inside of barrels is necessary to prevent over-oaking the spirit. Though manufacturers themselves may select from different degrees of charring, and varieties of barrel conditions to impart flavors. Notwithstanding I suspect in some (younger) rums it may even be artificially added (in the form of liquid smoke or boisè), like coloring agents and what not , to give extra flavor and add complexity.

To me unfortunately this aroma is unappealing, as if someone had stirred my perfectly good rum with a charred wooden spoon. I do presume my taste buds are over-sensitive to it...

So, as a budding rum enthusiast I wonder whether the only solution for me now is to switch permanently to white, unaged rums? Or perhaps I might be able to find some unadulterated aged rums without this peculiar taste? Most aged rums in my cabinet are in the 7 -12 year old range.

I am a newbie and this is my first post. Thank you.
The Black Tot
Admiral

Post by The Black Tot »

Find some younger and lighter honestly made, sugar-free rums such as Mount Gay XO (easy to get) or some of the younger Foursquare distillery products such as Doorly's 5yr.

Drink these younger rums until your palate develops.

Also try working on some younger unpeated Scottish single malts like Hazelburn or Glenfarclas.

I'm not singling you out. Everyone starts out this way. Often times the rums or whiskys we think we don't like in the beginning become some of our favorite pours later on.

It's like black coffee - people don't usually start out liking black coffee from day one. You have to spend time with it and develop your appreciation. Acquire the taste.

The good news is that the only thing that develops your palate is slowly enjoying sipping rums and whiskys, and concentrating on how you taste.

I expect that with time you will find your way to older aged spirits. But you have to get there by following the lead of what you like right now.

Just stay away from the flavored/sugared rums and you'll develop a taste for things quickly.
Cane Man
Oscar

Post by Cane Man »

Hello, and thank you for your observations.
Indeed taste and palate are key factors that, for the inexperienced such as myself, require patience to develop. I find it remarkable how taste itself can vary from time to time, even for the same bottle of rum.
I'm definitely curious to try rums in the 3 - 5 year range, although as I presume, much depends on manufacturers' fine-tuning or imprinting. For example, recently for the first time I sampled Seale's 10 yr that, fortunately for me, compared to Mount Gay Extra Old has much less burnt note (whereas I'd have expected a 10 yr rum to be more characterized by it).
Rum is definitely turning out to be a fascinating distillate, very singular and hardly predictable!
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Actually, the MGXO is older than Seales' Ten Year. And keep in mind that cooperage can and is often very different. A few distillers use new wood, and it may be toasted but not charred. Most rum distillers buy once used ex-bourbon barrels - most of these WERE charred, but several years of aging will soften the effect. The distillers then also may use the barrels several times. Others may use ex-sherry barrels, never charred. I'd urge you to try some of the following:

1. Bacardi Heritage (44%), White
2. Barbancourt Five Star
3. Doorlys' Five Year, also the XO

I'd be curious what you experience...