Tootin' our own horn

This is the main discussion section. Grab yer cups! All hands on deck!
Winston
Bo'sun's Mate

Tootin' our own horn

Post by Winston »

Hey all,

Got a curious email from Jimbo in which he asked me to come here and brag about some of Balcones' latest accomplishments. So pardon the shameless self promotion!

Been kind of a crazy year so far... we've managed to rack up about 27 new awards in 2016. Some good, some great!

Most notably, Whisky Magazine/World Whisky Awards named our Texas Single Malt the American Single Malt of the Year, True Blue 100 the World's Best Corn Whisky, and a limited edition single cask of Single Malt (Staff Selection) as the American Single Cask Single Malt of the Year.

At the Wizards of Whisky, we were named the American Whisky Distiller of the Year, and also awarded three golds and one silver for the whiskies.

We also got two double golds and a bronze at the SF World Spirits Competition, which is especially rewarding because it is the first double gold that Baby Blue has received since 2010 - the first medal we ever received!

On the rum side of things, we got a 94 points rating from the Ultimate Spirits Challenge, and the RumXP Consumer Jury awarded us a bronze.

Last but not least, at the ADI awards a couple weeks ago we got a double gold, gold, two silvers and Best of Category for smoked whiskies and for malt whiskies!

If anyone is curious, you can read more about these competitions on our website :) http://balconesdistilling.com/news-media

Ok, discuss! I'll be around for questions :D
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Curious?

Yes and no. Is it rare for me to invite a distiller to brag about his/her products? Yes, absolutely yes. But no, in this case it isn't a surprise and for good reason:

Chip Tate. Long, long ago when the old Balcone's came up as a subject, I stuck my neck way, way out and predicted his demise based on - what seemed to me anyway - an abundance of ego and a lack of reality. Mind you by this time, this young gentleman had a dedicated following of early cultists for whom originality was apparently more important than actual consistency and quality. I pointed out these checkered actualities, and predicted his demise.

Until the very end of this gun slinging, ego driven career, his faithful followers - not least in the Bourbon world - stood behind him at each (for them) disappointing development. At the very, very end (late 2014) this dreamer announced yet another new facility, predicted that Balcone's product would soon suffer his absence, and last promised to break ground "real soon now" and produce brandy, still awaited.

That was long ago and far away.

The reason I implored Winston to post the new Balcone's continues and improving awards was simple:

1. I believed that Balcone's success had just as much (if not more) to do with Jared, who did all the hard work while the founder toured the world tooting his own organ.

2. I remembered that of all the amazing insults and putdowns my posts inspired, that Winston alone stood up and confirmed that my insights were pretty darn close to the mark. He did not have to do that, and thus endured his own slings and arrows.

3. I respect quality and performance, and have come to believe the new and free Balcone's is better than ever and deserve their continuing and growing accolades for the post dictatorial product they have produced and submitted to critique.

4. Winston has always been accessible and honestly informative, and his comments are always welcome here. Unlike other distillers he's never tried to slip one (plug) in, but just the opposite.

I had to actually ask him to do so. I did, and I'd do it again.

For those who want to revisit the amazing story of the founder, just use the Project's handy "search", above, and search on "Chip"...
http://tatedistillery.com/
http://whiskycast.com/episode-577-february-20-2016/
And yet another freebie to the new Balcone's:
http://balconesdistilling.com/
mamajuana
Admiral

Post by mamajuana »

Great info. I did a Single malt Whisky tasting today actually and the Texas single malt was part of it. I actually would rate it the highest of all the single malts tasted even though it was by far the youngest. The one I thought I would like more a 17 year Balvenie rum cask aged single malt was flat in comparison. A little water really opened up an incredible finish on the texas single malt. The closest I had to it was a Glenmorangie Nectar D'Or.

After the tasting I headed to a liquor supermarket in the area. They carry all Balcones products there (except for the elusive rum). To my astonishment they had the Balcones Texas rum! I was searching out this bottle online and what not and it was either sold out or unable to be shipped. I was astonished they had some here in Buffalo right in my backyard. A rare find almost a year after it's limited release. As I frequent the store I imagine it was just put out this week.

I grabbed two bottles of the six bottles with the highest neck fill of the Texas rum. Batch 15-1 at 63.9% its a real beast and from what I can tell closest to the single malt of the Balcones range.

I'm sure I'll be back for the Texas single malt at some point as well.
bearmark
Beermeister

Post by bearmark »

I'm not a big fan of the awards handed out nowadays as they seem to be awarded to products of varying degree of quality and flavor. In other words, it seems even lower quality products can land pretty decent awards and some stellar products seem to be overlooked.

To me, you can't beat personal experience as nobody can truly understand your preferences. Beyond that, a reliable rating site (e.g. BTI or our own Rum Project) can be very useful in narrowing the field, especially if you can establish some consistency with your own formal or informal ratings or preferences. Basically, I've found that I've had better experience with some reviewers than others.

Having said all of that, I would still offer my congratulations to Winston, Jared et. al. for their success. I'm glad to see Jared proving himself out without the shadow of Chip looming over him and I'm not surprised to see Winston continuing to exhibit his marketing prowess in representing Balcones, which I believe he does extremely well.

Now let's get down to "brass tacks," so to speak. You really have to try these products to understand what Balcones is all about.

Their Texas "1" Single Malt is one of very few great American single malts and I've had lots of them. It can't compare to older Scotch whiskey, but it doesn't try to. These are completely different animals and the Texas influence is one of the great and unique characteristics of this whiskey. Sure it's priced at a premium, but you have to expect this from your local craft distillers and I'm glad to shell out a bit more for the unique experience. I've had several batches of Texas Single Malt and they remain consistent with a recognizable Balcones character and a generally evolving improvement of flavor that's probably plateaued in the last couple of years (IMHO). I believe that's good for the new Balcones, as I've said before, because it proves that they can maintain that quality in the post-Chip era. I believe that the same has been true of their other offerings as well.

I believe that it all started with Rumble, a unique spirit for sure, made from Mission fig, Texas wildflower honey and turbinado sugar... and it's nothing like rum :wink:.

But don't stop there! Try Baby Blue, a truly good corn whiskey with a unique, buttery kettle corn flavor. If you like that and want to try a bolder version, then give True Blue a go. It's a much bigger ride that will appeal to those who like big, bold whiskies.

If you're really brave and you like smokey whiskey, then Brimstone is a must! It's like drinking a sweet, smokey barbecue whiskey. If you're not into this kind of flavor, then you're more likely to liken it to licking a campfire and should stay away, but you're truly missing out on a special spirit.

Once you've identified the base products that you like, then you'll get excited about special offerings like, Single Barrel Texas Single Malt (which I've not had, Winston... hint, hint :wink: ) or the awesome Rumble Cask Reserve.

So, forget all of the awards nonsense, as impressive as it sounds. The big question is, "Which of these whiskies have you tried and what do you think of them?"

PS - No, I don't get any kickbacks from Balcones.
Mark Hébert
Rum References: Flor de Caña 18 (Demeraran), The Scarlet Ibis (Trinidadian), R.L. Seale 10 (Barbadian), Appleton Extra (Jamaican), Ron Abuelo 12 (Cuban), Barbancourt 5-Star (Agricole)
Winston
Bo'sun's Mate

Post by Winston »

bearmark wrote: Once you've identified the base products that you like, then you'll get excited about special offerings like, Single Barrel Texas Single Malt (which I've not had, Winston... hint, hint :wink: )
-----------------------------------------
No, you just ask for them :lol:
bearmark
Beermeister

Post by bearmark »

Winston wrote:
bearmark wrote: Once you've identified the base products that you like, then you'll get excited about special offerings like, Single Barrel Texas Single Malt (which I've not had, Winston... hint, hint :wink: )
-----------------------------------------
No, you just ask for them :lol:
What?! :roll:
Mark Hébert
Rum References: Flor de Caña 18 (Demeraran), The Scarlet Ibis (Trinidadian), R.L. Seale 10 (Barbadian), Appleton Extra (Jamaican), Ron Abuelo 12 (Cuban), Barbancourt 5-Star (Agricole)