Total Wine & More - Jacksonville

This is the main discussion section. Grab yer cups! All hands on deck!
Beukeboom
Quartermaster

Total Wine & More - Jacksonville

Post by Beukeboom »

My wife and I decided on a spur of the moment last week to take a weekend getaway this weekend to Jacksonville. Only about a 2-and-a-half hour drive then however long to get to the hotel. One place I wanted to check out was Total Wine and More which carries rums I cannot get here in Tallahassee. Basing my expectation from their website I was expecting to get maybe 6-8 bottles that I've never tried. Boy, did I ever underestimate. First off, compared to what I'm used to locally, Total Wine and More was HUGE!!! I got a cart and eventually found the rum section after taking an initial trip to the bourbon section and picked up a couple of bottles of Hancock's Presidents Reserve (been searching for this for about 4 years now -- this is a totally different story as to why I diligently searched for this bourbon but I will tell that tale another time if requested).

Anyway, I digress...

To make a long story short, I ended up calling my credit card company to alert security that I was about to make a rather large purchase and not to panic. Then, after picking out a BUNCH of bottles of rums I've never tried and cannot even get stores to order in Tallahassee, I ended up carrying out 5 boxes of rum to my truck. Some of the highlights...several Plantation rums and some Clement rums I've not tried including a Plantation Trinidad 1999 that I thought was no longer sold anywhere. Finally got Doorly's and R.L. Seale. And several I've never heard of before and not even read about.

And considering I really don't drink all that often, I've probably got enough rum in total to last me for the rest of my life.

Even if I live to be well over 100.

This is the second time I've gone a bit overboard. The first was early January at Dorignac's in New Orleans.

Between Dorignac's and Total Wine, I think I've got pretty much all I am able to get in the travel areas I go. Any future trips will probably be for picking up a bottle or two of my favorites not available locally.

One specific rum I had hoped to find was Cuvee Homere Clement Rhum Vieux Agricole. I initially found a bottle of that...a rather dusty bottle...on top of the shelves behind the counter of a little liquor store in Panama City Beach, FL which the clerk told me had been there for years. No one was ever interested even at the greatly reduced price. I'm glad I got it because it's one of the best rums I've ever had. I'm going to be sad when it's gone because I doubt I'll find another one.
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Quite a story, and find...

Florida (particularly south Florida) is a tremendous place to find unusual and hard to find rums at super prices. Naturally, Total sets the market, but there are a number of small (2-5 store) chains, owners from India - great businessman, well educated about spirits, and like to offer large and unusual selections. They are willing to hold onto dusty bottles until the day comes they decide to move them.

My very best deal was some JM white agricoles - full liters - for just $8.99, simply amazing. I bought several. Other amazing deals were some of the Compass Box Series (in the low $30's), and a Laphroig 10 in the high $30's and yes, even a Pappy Van Winkle 20 year for $120 (worth nearly $2000 on the auctions now).

Even the empty Pappy's are desirable for auction.
Beukeboom
Quartermaster

Post by Beukeboom »

Unfortunately in north Florida there aren't such places as far as I can determine. Maybe in Jacksonville but nothing as far as I can find westward.
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Post by Capn Jimbo »

That's my understanding as well. But if you are ever in southeast Florida, better bring plenty of pesos - let me know and I'll direct you to some truly amazing treasure troves of VERY affordable, hard to find rum selections...
Beukeboom
Quartermaster

Post by Beukeboom »

I am hoping to be headed that way in a couple of years for a cruise out of Miami (to make up for the "cruise from hell" out of Jacksonville).

ADDENDUM: Actually we may be flying down to Miami later on this year for hopefully a vacation to the Bahamas but I wouldn't have any opportunity to go anywhere outside the airport. Most likely it would be about a 90 minute flight to Miami, a short layover and change of planes (as little as 45 minutes perhaps) then a puddle-jumper to Nassau.