Sugar test request (Afrohead)

This is the main discussion section. Grab yer cups! All hands on deck!
Beukeboom
Quartermaster

Sugar test request (Afrohead)

Post by Beukeboom »

If anyone can do so I'd like to know how Afrohead rum and Afrohead XO do in a sugar test. I didn't see those rums in the masterlist. I like Afrohead XO more than I anticipated and it is a bit sweet but I cannot really tell if it was enhanced or naturally came about that way. Just curious. It won't affect me liking the rum.
mamajuana
Admiral

Post by mamajuana »

That rum has not sailed to these parts yet. I hear they did recently reduce its list price from 60 to 45.00.

Check out this article quoting the owner of this brand.

http://venicemagftl.com/the-spirit-of-the-tropics/

I certainly hope this was a misquote but "expert blender" and part owner of Afrohead Toby Tyler said.. “All rums have some sugar added" according to this article.
Nomad
Bo'sun

Post by Nomad »

mamajuana wrote:That rum has not sailed to these parts yet. I hear they did recently reduce its list price from 60 to 45.00.

Check out this article quoting the owner of this brand.

http://venicemagftl.com/the-spirit-of-the-tropics/

I certainly hope this was a misquote but "expert blender" and part owner of Afrohead Toby Tyler said.. “All rums have some sugar added" according to this article.
Wow! I now know to avoid Afrohead rum.
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Bueke:

Just a thought - it's really rather easy to test your own spirits (of all kinds) using a standard, easy and quick (takes 5 minutes) testing of them using a long scale hydrometer (or two) and a nice quick read electronic thermometer.

All the equipment can be had for $20 to $30, and then you too can submit your results for publication and credit on the Master Sugar List. For details please go the the Sugar section.

If you have any questions, I'm happy to privately email or PM with you to walk you through the first couple tests. It's super easy peasy...
Beukeboom
Quartermaster

Post by Beukeboom »

Capn Jimbo wrote:Just a thought - it's really rather easy to test your own spirits (of all kinds) using a standard, easy and quick (takes 5 minutes) testing of them using a long scale hydrometer (or two) and a nice quick read electronic thermometer.

All the equipment can be had for $20 to $30, and then you too can submit your results for publication and credit on the Master Sugar List. For details please go the the Sugar section.

If you have any questions, I'm happy to privately email or PM with you to walk you through the first couple tests. It's super easy peasy...
I will probably take you up on that sometime in the future. Thanks.
The Fat Rum Pirate
Quartermaster

Post by The Fat Rum Pirate »

Afrohead is an Angostura product in all but name.

Even if it passes a Hydro test I would still be suspicious of additives. It's not available over here so I haven't had chance to test it.
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Great observation Pirate....

Agreed, Angostura 1919 was one of the first rums we bought, and it was HEAVILY altered. Listen to the Pirate...