Cruzan find

This is the main discussion section. Grab yer cups! All hands on deck!
rum-monkey
Greaser

Cruzan find

Post by rum-monkey »

I think I saw some old bottle Cruzan. Is it worth getting?

https://imgur.com/a/PIFj6Ju
RT
Quartermaster

Post by RT »

There are indeed some nice older Cruzan rums out there. Especially if you were in the Virgin Islands when you saw them. Can you give us any more information, such as name, age statement, cost? Or a picture? I was partial to the Estate Diamond from about 8-10 years ago. Believe it had legit 5 years of aging. A great mixer and decent sipper, medium bodied and tasted like rum should.
Students of the cask, reject naught but water. -Charles Gonoud, Faust Act 2
rum-monkey
Greaser

Post by rum-monkey »

Please check the pictures (I included the link to the album as I couldn't get the picture embedding to work; please let me know if the link works). Prices are $15.99 per fifth and $28.99 per handle. Unfortunately no Estate Diamond. I wish they had it and still searching for it. I also was nowhere near the islands. Connecticut to be exact. I ended up getting the Estate Dark as it was the last bottle. Thinking about the whites as I found I'm enjoying those more than I thought I would. They all have the ship embossed on the bottle but the number "2" is missing from the front of it. However, the back of the bottle (as well as on the front) states "Aged (a minimum of) two years" although it sounds like they were bottled stateside. The prices, as seen in the photos, seem to me OK especially for something that is unobtainium. These may have been made after the Beam-Suntory buyout but I don't know. Would they be the same as before the buyout? What do you think?
RT
Quartermaster

Post by RT »

Sorry, the picture link didn't work on my cell phone, but I went back and was able to see it on my desktop computer. If I remember correctly, I saw these bottles occasionally in larger stores 3-5ish years ago, just before the industry race to shorten the aging times of everything. I recall trying the dark, and found it to be a decent mixer.
Students of the cask, reject naught but water. -Charles Gonoud, Faust Act 2
rum-monkey
Greaser

Post by rum-monkey »

Thank you! I think I'll get them as the information I have indicates that they are from before Cruzan quality went south. They may not be the greatest but they should be OK and I'll have a chance to try something that is no longer made. And I'm pretty sure it will make the liquor store owners happy to finally sell it. And they also have some Tommy Bahama...
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Exactly.... definitely worth the discount prices.