Hydrometer question

This is the main discussion section. Grab yer cups! All hands on deck!
rum-monkey
Greaser

Hydrometer question

Post by rum-monkey »

Hi!
I'd like to do some sugar content tests on some rums. I read the hydrometer information in the "Sugar Tests" sub-forum. Are those Ukrainian sourced ones the best ones without breaking the bank? I asked around on some other forums I frequent but nobody could recommend a source for quality hydrometers although they were helpful with suggestions such as mass spectrometers and other expensive lab equipment.
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Short answer... yes, or any intermediate cost hydro. Far more important is calibrating the hydro. Please also read the section on accuracy of your home testing. Quite accurate and easy peasy.
rum-monkey
Greaser

Post by rum-monkey »

So I finally got around to buying the equipment. Ebay, of course. The 100 mL cylinder is fine but the hydrometers... well, I'm sure they're OK but they won't fit inside the cylinder! Crap! They would probably work in a 1000 mL cylinder but I don't have that much rum for testing! Bonkers! Does anyone know which auction sells ones that would fit in the 100 mL cylinder? Or what to ask before buying? Can't find the Ukrainian source. Anyone got a lead?