I'm baaaaaaack....

This is the main discussion section. Grab yer cups! All hands on deck!
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

I'm baaaaaaack....

Post by Capn Jimbo »

....actually I just took a break...

My good friends...

It's nice to be back after taking what turned out to be a couple years off to sell mi casa, put a chunka pesos in el banco, travel the United States from Key West, both coasts of Florida, Georgia Atlantic coast, Cleveland (Ohio), Anapolis (Maryland) and Washington, our capitol - all in search of the perfect cruising sailboat for us.

Finally we found it - a 1975 Bristol 32 keel/centerboard sloop. A boat perfect for what's called "gunkholing" in the shallows but perfectly capable of blue water and for us - the Caribbean. My plans included visiting the many islands and not least, the distilleries. Unfortunately this beautiful classic design remains on jack stands prepared for hurricanes and a good refit. A boat is called a hole in the water into which you throw money. However I did have the adventure of my lifetime in sailing single-handed from Ft. Lauderdale, up the Atlantic, across Lake Okeechobee, out into the Gulf of Mexico and finally up near Port Charlotte, where the "Phoebe P" now lies.

Thrown into all this were several trips to Mexico, Mexico City, Guadalajara, Guanajuato, Oaxaca and Cancun. We came to love this country, its history, people and culture. BTW, I must add the easy availability of Cuban cigars and Havana Club rum (my fave is the 5 year). Another unwelcome intruder was the COVID which caused us to escape - sadly - to the United States where our stable genius president holds forth to daily cause even more human suffering and stress.

But back we are, and now I have the time to once again post and interact. I note that the industry has changed little, short of continually introduced faux rums, along with more real and unadulterated rums of low or no sugar (meaning 4g or less, with some of that absorbed from the oak).

I'm also proud to announce that a new poster named "Blowgunner" from Germany is a skilled tester who has added a goodly number of new tests to the Master Sugar List, with now well over 800 tests, with more soon to follow as I update the the tests of others.

Hola mi buen amigos y amigas!

CJ
Last edited by Capn Jimbo on Wed Apr 29, 2020 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Blowgunner
Oscar

Post by Blowgunner »

Hi CJ,

I`m glad that you finally found a safe harbor!

Yes, i finally decided to contribute to this great list, after "exploiting" the list without adding my spirits. Thanks for your advice!

Working with the hydro was inexpensive, fun and as easy as you wrote.

Hopefully this forum will see more action since the landlord is back from his cruise.

:D
Nomad
Bo'sun

Post by Nomad »

Good to see you back!
'We put all our politicians in prison as soon as they’re elected. Don’t you?’
‘Why?’
‘It saves time.’ -Terry Pratchett via The Last Continent
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Of course now that I'm back we of the planet are now faced with COVID 19. Perhaps buying my cruising sailboat was smarter than I thought...
rum-monkey
Greaser

Post by rum-monkey »

Great to see you back, Capn'! It's been awfully quiet here for a while. Looking forward to more chatter in these forums.
Guevara88
Bo'sun's Mate

Post by Guevara88 »

Yeh, good to hear you're doing alright! It'd be nice to catch up some more after this long time of silence in these halls.

In the meantime I completely invested myself in Foursquare produce due to a lack of solid alternatives... with the occasional tryout of a newcomer.

Recently I also started to experiment with Scotch and Bourbon and must say that both are a fine alternative for occasions that require some more spiciness/smokiness.
Energy and persistence conquer all things.
-Benjamin Franklin
sleepy
King of Koffee

Post by sleepy »

Welcome back. and I hope that your new life is as wonderful as you might dream. I also hope that in your your Chesapeake roams, that you learned what a REAL crabcake is. If you're back , I'll be here to grief you ;)