Welcome back!

This is the main discussion section. Grab yer cups! All hands on deck!
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Welcome back!

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Hello to all!

It is with great affection that my sabbatical of sorts has come to an end. Here's what happened...

1. The Rum Project was never really closed.

What did happen is that I determined to find and buy a bluewater cruising sailboat with/in which I planned to sail the Caribbean (with possible stops in Barbados, the Caribbean coast of South American, Central America and Mexico.

2. That took around a year, but I did find THE sailboat for me: a1975 Bristol 32 Centerboard Sloop, designed by a guy named Ted Hood, and a true classic. It is honestly one of those OMG classics, graceful and seaworthy.

3. Following was a series of hurricanes, political chaos, home selling and travel to Ecuador, Columbia and Mexico (CDMX and Guanajuato). An amazing journey.

4. And just when that was ending, along came something novel: Covid. So my dear boat sits "on the hard" (land), I turned 75, and had what hope is my first and last stroke (fully recovere).

So. I'm still here; I'm still kind and gentle; there are more swell pure rums then ever, and just as much illegally altered swill. In the meanwhile I remain amazed that the traffic to the Project is still significant, probably because no other rum website comes even close to the volume of useful, detailed analysis, et al. Not one.

Ergo we are here and the Project continues. Do say hello, and let me know if you have any log-in issues. As before all new registrants are screened. All you former regulars are welcome and appreciated...

Best regards...
CJ
Nomad
Bo'sun

Post by Nomad »

Good to see you back and cheers to your continued recovery! Looking forward to reading your thought-provoking takes again.
'We put all our politicians in prison as soon as they’re elected. Don’t you?’
‘Why?’
‘It saves time.’ -Terry Pratchett via The Last Continent
Capn Jimbo

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Thanks Nomad. It has been quite a trip. What's your view on the changes in both pure and altered rums?
Nomad
Bo'sun

Post by Nomad »

Steps are being advanced in the right direction, however slowly that may be happening. True honesty is probably a pipe dream and I hope that GI's will become the norm, but that is still far away in many countries.
That said, I still try to educate those in my circle and have been quite successful if I may say so myself.
'We put all our politicians in prison as soon as they’re elected. Don’t you?’
‘Why?’
‘It saves time.’ -Terry Pratchett via The Last Continent
RT
Quartermaster

Re: Welcome back!

Post by RT »

Me being someone who is still using a Blackberry cell phone, I certainly do not envy you your upgrading task.
Students of the cask, reject naught but water. -Charles Gonoud, Faust Act 2
Capn Jimbo

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Hi RT...

Turns out I found a guy who specializes in upgrading and customizing phbBB forums - knowledgable and responsive - and his prices are very affordable. He also publishes an e-book which I was able to use and ended up doing my own conversion, hard to believe really. This is the new forum, which is designed to work on cellphones also, so please let me know how it worked on your Blackberry. Soon enough I'll be applying a new style package which is very tropical...

Best regards,
CJ
RT
Quartermaster

Post by RT »

Everything looks good so far...
Been going back and re-reading quite a few of the old threads, what a wealth of information. So glad you're back in the game.
Students of the cask, reject naught but water. -Charles Gonoud, Faust Act 2