Combat: Burr vs Hamilton on Pay per View

This is the main discussion section. Grab yer cups! All hands on deck!
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Combat: Burr vs Hamilton on Pay per View

Post by Capn Jimbo »

And the winner is?

I like Robert Burr. And I don't dislike his son, no matter how hard he tries.

If it weren't for Robert, neither I nor my incredibly idiotic website would be here. To his great credit, Robert puts on some really fun rum tastings in the near perfect setting of Coral Gables (where the coral block walls are cemented with a mixture of shredded dollar bills and concrete).

Perhaps the most enjoyable was the night we met Richard Seale - that alone makes Robert alright in my book. But I digress...

Back when Sue Sea and I were having a threesome with the Rum Queen, we all took note of Robert's first ever "Rum Renaissance Festival" in Miami Beach. This was attended by some of the Queen's spies (certainly not us) and we heard through various means that the fest had not gone so well. Shaky organization and all.

Rumours at best.

But the most delicious was that the Preacher and Bobby had a falling out. Not the Rum Butt Buddies?! (I refer to butts of, uh rum, of course). Now having had my own run-in with the ego-driven Prophet (from which I simply exited), and also hearing of the Preacher's reported legal exchanges with the Rum Queen - whew! - the news of yet another rum sotted drama was of little surprise to me.

But still, rumour is rumour and best left to the dunderpit of dumb and dumber, long forgotten incidents. Until now.

For some bizarre reason - was it from my being sick for the last week, or the strong dram of Cockspur 12? - that I reflected on Robert and, well, just wondered. So I moseyed over to the Ministry of Legal Filings and looked up Burr's profile.

Turns out he joined in April, 2007 and his last post was shown as May 28, 2009. Keep in mind that Robert was a frequent poster at the Ministry, and considered an insider, inner circle, specially blessed member. Accordingly, his absence was more than curious.

Is it a coincidence that the rumoured trouble at the Miami Rum Renaissance was just a week earlier on the 17th? And that his final post was just two days before the Preacher's gig on the 30th? Burr had posted he intended to attend, several members looked forward to his report, and...

Nothing.

He's been off line at the Ministry for almost seven months. What does this mean? Honestly I don't know, but if ya put 1 and 2 together you get 3 volatile promoters who don't seem to get along.

Not to mention our own unfortunate experience with the Ice, er Rum Queen...

Note: The answer to this "mystery" - from Burr himself - appears below.
Last edited by Capn Jimbo on Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:42 am, edited 5 times in total.
JaRiMi
Admiral

Post by JaRiMi »

Too bad that personalities flare and people act like children in the internet.

After posting messages on his site that were openly asking questions regarding rum production methods that Mr. Hamilton himself vaguely insinuated were used here & there, I was labeled Public Enemy No. 1 of Rum. I could not believe this turn of events which was lead by Mr. Hamilton who did a clever 180 turn in his own approach to the topic, and jumped on the pedestal to cast me to hell.

Me a rum hater? I who has been preaching & lecturing about rum in part of the world where the spirit was thought still as "kill-devil", me who had arranged several rum import deals to introduce rum to new grounds, me who have been giving free samples from my own bottles left & right and talking about rum in the internet since late 1980's (yeah before www) when I lived in the Caribbean.

I can just say Mr. Hamilton was exceptionally rude and aggressive in his private messages. I got also the feeling that there was a definite superiority feeling coming through. So be it - I hope I will never meet this "character" in any rum-related event or elsewhere.

Coming back to Mr. Burr, I guess either he "quit" the Ministry of Rum forums, or he was kicked out.

Personally I think the whole Ministry could be closed, so low is the informative value of that forum. Hardly any real discussions or debates, any real articles on rum, tasting notes - anything. It seems like just a pack of people patting each other on the backs while they all fly on the rum-high and repeat the mantra "yeah, rum is all good..".
RT
Quartermaster

Post by RT »

I had also noticed Mr. Burr's recent absence from the mor, but had no idea of what had transpired behind the scenes.

I had assumed it was a part of a larger trend of the oldtimers wandering away from the onslaught of newbies extolling the virtues of captain and coke.
Students of the cask, reject naught but water. -Charles Gonoud, Faust Act 2
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

As I suspected...

Post by Capn Jimbo »

As I suspected...

I know of the Preacher. But I know Robert Burr better. The Preacher has reportedly burned more than one bridge and drinks to the beat of different drammer. In comparison Burr is the Virgin Margarita. So frankly, I tended to believe the rumours.

Finally, I couldn't take it anymore and dropped Robert a short email and asked him the magic question. Here's his answer:
Ed banned me from posting last May after I attended his Rum Fest in Chicago. He said I threatened his life. That's when I knew he was whacko.

Two weekends after Rum Renaissance, his "Rum Fest" in Chicago attracted 72 paying guests. He was so embarrassed.

26 rum judges took a vote and decided unanimously that they did not want to participate in his competition again, so they're organizing their own.
Now that's what I call a major falling out. There was a bit more to Robert's email, but it is not relevent here. I do wish him well in his endeavors.

And now you know the rest of the story...
Last edited by Capn Jimbo on Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
adri_dand
Greaser

Post by adri_dand »

Seems like the Preacher dropped the bottle on this one.....

You would think that you'd like having formidable allies.... it is nutzo... Go figure...
Can the SAQ wake up and import more rum?!?!?!?
JaRiMi
Admiral

Post by JaRiMi »

Amazing stuff...Where's the gentlemanly camradery of people interested in fine spirits?

I just added a short clip to another topic here, clearly showcasing that Mr. Hamilton could ban himself from his forum by the same reasoning I was banned from there for. Short memory...so short.

:-)