Question: Plantation Rums in Canada - worth trying?

This is the main discussion section. Grab yer cups! All hands on deck!
adri_dand
Greaser

Question: Plantation Rums in Canada - worth trying?

Post by adri_dand »

So there seems to be some new faces at our SAQ Signature liquor commission this month.... I'm referring to Plantation Barbados 1999, Plantation Grenada 1998, and Plantation Guyana old reserve 1990. The aforementioned cost $48.50, $53 and $79.25 respectively. Anyone have suggestions or thoughts as to whether I should try them all (or perhaps one?).

Thanks!
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Boy are we lucky in South Florida, inasmuch as it's no big deal to find Plantation Barbados for about $20. I've seen the Jamaican for about $30 and have been sorely tempted.

I can speak only to the Barbados rums. We've tasted the 1993 and 1995 - both were excellent - and the Barbados "Grand Reserve", which surprisingly was sorely lacking.

We are big fans of Jamaican style rums, so one of these days (real soon now) we're likely to finally pick up one.
adri_dand
Greaser

Post by adri_dand »

So my best buddy and I headed downtown to a store that sells glassware as he was looking for some brandy glasses. Naturally, after that was done, we HAD to walk into our SAQ signature store. There she was again... Plantation 1990 Guyana.....

So I stood there staring for 10 minutes while all the voices in my head were screaming '' C'MON! BUY IT ALREADY!!! ''. In order to suppress these thoughts, I picked up a bottle of Appleton 12 year for my reference collection..... and there I stood some more, staring at the plantation bottles....

I was then approached by the employee in charge of the tasting ''counter'' so to speak. He asked me if I was into rum, and I expressed my affinity for the spirit and how I was disappointed in the lack of choice in Quebec. He replied that he was as well, and that he had looked into importing different rums on his own and found that it was a huge hassle given all the government regulations up here.

Anyway, after speaking about rum for 15 minutes, I told him that I was contemplating the Plantation purchase for a few days now. He then poured me an ounce as they had a bottle open for tasting. I let it sit there and was immediately intrigued by the initial nosing and taste. I then knew, that I had to have it!

So I dished out the 67 damned dollars.... (I should fly south more often) and the bottle now sits in my collection. I should also mention that on the way home, I was still able to taste the rum's flavors. It has an extremely long finish that lasted for 8 - 9 minutes at least.

Turning the bottle around to read the label, it states '' Taste: a great rum to be sipped slowly in small quantities, the taste can last as long as 10 minutes.''

As I had experienced, they're not kidding!
I'm quite satisfied! A great rum that I would love to review soon!
Can the SAQ wake up and import more rum?!?!?!?
JaRiMi
Admiral

Post by JaRiMi »

I recently tasted the Plantation Guyana 18yo and it turned out to be quite a nice Demerara rum (possible Port Morant?).

Dark in colour, having that powerful taste of a Demerara rum, long aftertaste. Mind you - do not expect it to be anywhere near as sweet & easygoing as anything El Dorado massmarkets & bottles: While these products are very good and real crowdpleasers, I find these less commercial, less sweetened Demerara's (that this Plantation rum clearly represents) exceptionally good.

I have previously tasted the Bajan and Trini Plantation rums (Trinidadian being actually from the now dead Caroni distillery), and they were only just OK - nothing spectacular. Good rums nevertheless, but lacking in character.