This is the main discussion section. Grab yer cups! All hands on deck!
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Tell me it ain't so Joe, er Silvio...

Note: Refined Vices is now back online after a horrible computer breakdown. The Count managed to restore much, but not all of the website. Fortunately, most of my best, intelligent and entertaining posts were preserved, lol...

I have long been a BIG fan of Count Silvio and his tasteful, intelligent, attractive and competent website. Some of the great controversies in rum have been addressed and debated there.

Some of the debates - which, uh, sometimes include moi - have been so spirited and interesting that they have led to major articles on my own humble website. Example: The Caribbean Unplugged (click on the frog top page).

I became extremely concerned (a) when the Count's site does NOT come up and has not done so for days, and (b) the usual sources, not least the Prophetery of Rum, has not spoken to this. Has the Count been dumped in the same fashion as the great Burr man?

I sure hope not. Burr survives and we are somewhat better for that. I sincerely hope the same for Count Silvio, one of the few reliable, free and non-commercial rum websites on the net.

Here's hoping....
Last edited by Capn Jimbo on Mon Dec 20, 2010 6:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
JaRiMi
Admiral

Server down

Post by JaRiMi »

Spoke to the Count, he stated that the server on which his website refined vices was hosted on was fried. :-(
RT
Quartermaster

Post by RT »

I recall seeing on the mor site that the Count recently moved to Australia. Possibly the outage is associated with that move, and is hopefully temporary.
Students of the cask, reject naught but water. -Charles Gonoud, Faust Act 2
JaRiMi
Admiral

Post by JaRiMi »

RT wrote:I recall seeing on the mor site that the Count recently moved to Australia. Possibly the outage is associated with that move, and is hopefully temporary.
Sadly no, not to my knowledge - its a case of the server where the stuff was literally frying.
RT
Quartermaster

Post by RT »

I guess it must be REALLY hot in Australia this time of year.
Students of the cask, reject naught but water. -Charles Gonoud, Faust Act 2
JaRiMi
Admiral

Post by JaRiMi »

RT wrote:I guess it must be REALLY hot in Australia this time of year.
:-)

I think his server was still in Finland..Where I believe its freezing!
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Update...

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Update...

Refined Vices now has posted a classy "404" notice, advising that they'll be back soon. Good news.
JaRiMi
Admiral

UPDATE

Post by JaRiMi »

The Refined Vices forums are up and running again, albeit some messages have been lost (most of 2009).

go to:

http://www.refinedvices.com/forums

and you can log in as usual.