Opinions: MGXO

This is the main discussion section. Grab yer cups! All hands on deck!
adri_dand
Greaser

Opinions: MGXO

Post by adri_dand »

Well I've finnaly managed to locate some MGXO in Ontario! looks like the LCBO carries a lot of it! A friend of mine has just come back from a trip to Toronto (What a boring dull city :D) and was gracious enough to bring me 6 bottles! :D

Having taken some time away from my true love (for wine tasting, which happens to be my second love), I have returned energized and ready to discover many of the new bottles that lie undisturbed on my bureau!

I have tried MGXO for the very first time and am glad that I have 6 bottles in reserve!!!

The best part?!?!? I won't have to wait another 5 - 15 years to enjoy its full potential!

Ha! Take that 2000 Bordeaux!!! :)

Cheers!
Can the SAQ wake up and import more rum?!?!?!?
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

An act of bravery...

Post by Capn Jimbo »

It takes cajones...

Buying 6 bottles of an untasted rum takes a real pair. Hope you wear boxer shorts. Truth be told if you were gonna take a chance on a rum, you could have not done much better.

Mount Gay Extra Old is well regarded, well reviewed and worth every penny. I daresay that if I were to take a poll of experienced rum drinkers to determine their go-to, stranded-on-a-desert-island rum, MGXO would win going away.

It's been my go-to rum since well before The Rum Project came to be, followed closely by Pusser's Blue Label. Well done...
Last edited by Capn Jimbo on Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
RT
Quartermaster

Post by RT »

That depends, were they the new style bottles or the old?
Students of the cask, reject naught but water. -Charles Gonoud, Faust Act 2
adri_dand
Greaser

Post by adri_dand »

Well, I guess that you can say that I just had a feeling that this product would turn out to be a great buy for me! I had read many great things about MGXO that I just couldn't pass up the opportunity to purchase as much of it as I could given the opportunity (and lack of rum in Quebec).

I tried the stuff, and while it packs a little punch (I guess the 43% alcohol rating has something to do with it), it's just a great rum that I truly enjoy. T
There's always a drop of water that can be added to the glass if it's a little strong for one's liking.

I'm curious to see if the addition of water will reveal any other noticeable scents upon nosing and tasting.

As for the bottles, 2 are old, 4 are new packaging.
Can the SAQ wake up and import more rum?!?!?!?
RT
Quartermaster

Post by RT »

There has been some discussion on other rum sites as to whether the MGXO formula was changed at all with the new bottling. You may want to sample both head-to-head and see what you think.

Me being the paranoid sort, I have stuck to buying the old bottles when I can find them, have not pulled the trigger on any new yet.
Students of the cask, reject naught but water. -Charles Gonoud, Faust Act 2