Cachaca: the next big thing?

This is the main discussion section. Grab yer cups! All hands on deck!
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Cachaca: the next big thing?

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Brazil: the land of Carnival, Cachaca and the Caiparinha.

And now the promotable upcoming Olympics. Ever wonder how the "next big thing" comes to be? It has little if anything to do with true value. It has more to do with timing and promotability.

And so it is with Cachaca.

Cachaca, for all practical purposes, is a cane juice rum, although some scholars argue that cane juice rum is really a cachaca. Since cachaca was here first, they may have a point. But on that basis I can argue for spirits made from sugar cane emanating from India and the east. But, as always, I digress.

Cachaca is a very worthy spirit and is as important to the Brazilians as Wray & Nephews overproof is to the Jamaicans. No Brazilian or Jamaican household is without their signature spirits. Now some time ago Seagrams produced a cachaca that was called "Brazilian Rum" for the trivial fact that it was distilled to 55% instead of 54%. This trivial difference naturally gave the Preacher an incredible hard on, as he was then able to exclaim that Seagrams was neither a cachaca, nor an AOC approved "rhum agricole" (one of which he represents).

He's wrong on both counts.

Legally, cachaca is distilled at up to 54% and bottled at up to 48%. Seagram's "Brazilian Rum" is distilled at 55% and bottled at a cachaca legal 40%. God himself could not distinguish Seagrams from legal cachaca, and neither can you.

Actually Seagrams was hedging their bets, and demonstrates that they are miles ahead of the market. Now that the Brazilian Olympics is approaching, cachaca now becomes promotable. And also "premiumizationable", as per the latest research release of "Just Drinks", a major industry think tank.

So. Promotable and premiumizationaable. Hmm. All it takes is any marketably adequate reason to create a profitable sector, in this case cachaca from exotic Brazil, where women are women and so are the men, where what happens at Carnival stays at Carnival, and when the world is watching the Olympics.

Keep in mind that cachaca is a major industry in a large and successful country. Keep in mind that incredible amounts are produced and imbibed there, and produced at incredibly low prices.

Not the cachaca that the megacorporations like Seagrams have in mind. Although Seagram's "Brazilian Rum" is more than fairly priced (I can buy it for $10), you can bet your sweet ass that when they, and the other majors let loose and start producing product at a legal 54% (or less), that it will be sold for considerably more for simply fabulous profit margins. In simply lovely, rich bottles and with premiumizationable and promotable histories and stories to justify what will really be relatively unjustifiable prices.

Seagrams will be first, but it will be interesting to see how they cross the 55 to 54% river without looking idiotic. What? You said it was "rum", now you're sayin it's cachaca? Huh? No worries, a minor marketing problem. I'll bet they keep the "Brazilian Rum" and come out with a new and distinguishable "Premium Cachaca" and caiparinha drinks.

As will the others. It's all in the chute. Wanta bet?
DEF
Cabin Boy

Post by DEF »

Seagrams has been delisted in Ohio. I'm in Florida now but spent all my money stocking up on ElDorado 5.