BJ: The Frozen Wolf blows it. Again.

This is the main discussion section. Grab yer cups! All hands on deck!

How long will it take Wolfie to admit his error?

2 weeks
No votes
1 month
No votes
2 months
No votes
3 months
No votes
6 months
No votes
Never. He's too stubborn...
100%

Total votes: 3

Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

BJ: The Frozen Wolf blows it. Again.

Post by Capn Jimbo »

If you can't tell a cane juice from a molasses rum, what are ya doing reviewing?

In my Reviewer's Review of the Artic Wonder, I was driven to give this stubborn but egoistic gentleman a "2" for a number of good reasons. Over six months we'd participated in a 6 month dialogue wherein I made every attempt to educate the new kid on rum, hoping he'd become a voice for honesty in rum labeling.

To say this endeavor was frustrating is an understatement.

Wolfie took what I considered simplistic and naive positions, which he maintained despite being presented with credible, copious, contraditory and well-cited facts about such issues as barrel aging, the legal definitions of rum, the widespread use of unlabeled flavoring and additives, and the like. Like the Preacher he'd suffered the dilemma of having painting himself into the "expert's corner". But - unlike the Preacher - the Frozen One proceeded with much less experience, and an unusual palate. But I digress.

He's done it again, this time in his recent review of Ron Abuelo Anejo:
Artic Wolf: "According to the website Ron Abuelo Anejo is produced from sugar cane juice rather than molasses and it is aged in white oak bourbon casks...

The fruity tastes are reminiscent of a Port wine influence, and they have me somewhat baffled by their appearance in such a young rum which has been aged in a bourbon cask...

My research indicates that at least a portion of this rum may have been distilled from molasses as the production of rum year round from only cane juice is unlikely. The juice must be squeezed from fresh cane, and during the winter months this may not be available. This makes me wonder if it is a mixture of distillate from two sources (cane juice and molasses) which is the foundation for the very different flavours I am encountering...

The Ron Abuelo Anejo rum has a unique flavour profile, and I cannot escape the feeling that somewhere in the mix, a port enhancement was used to deliver the flavour profile I am tasting."
Let me summarize:

1. He states Abuelo is a cane juice rum, citing the Abuelo website. Entirely wrong. The site makes clear that cane juice is fermented only to produce neutral spirits (for use in their triple distilled Seco Herrerano - a sort of cane juice vodka). In contrast, all their rums - every single one - are distilled solely from molasses.

2. He believes that the fruity tastes must be due to a Port wine (barrel influence). Wrong again. Abuelo is aged in small white oak barrels. Fruity esters are common to rum, and result primarily from the fermentation and from its distillation.

Dazed and confused.

3. He then speculates that a "portion" of the rum just must be from molasses as cane juice is not available in the winter months. He then attributes his unusual findings to this combination of cane juice and molasses rums. What a heap, piling error upon error. Again, all of Varela Hermanos' rums are made solely from molasses.

Lost in the forest.

4. Despite the fact that he cites Abuelo's use of white oak barrels, he remains convinced that the Anejo's profile can only be explained by a port wine barrel influence. Abuelo uses oak - and molasses - period.

See what I mean about stubborn?

What you really have here is a novice reviewer who didn't do his homework, who misrepresented this common and well known molasses-based rum as made from cane juice, who apparently can't even taste the difference, and not least - whose puerile Canadian palate then drove him to drown this fine young sipper in coke, and call it a mixer.

In any case, Ron Abuelo Anejo exhibits none of the key characteristics of a cane juice rum, but no matter.

Keep in mind too that The Frozen One seems doubly cursed: by his own admission ("I do know that I have always tasted things others cannot. Take that pre-cut bagged lettuce that is all the rage, To me it tastes vile..."), he may well fall into the population of "supertasters" with "bittermouth" (a sensitivity to certain phenols). And amazingly, he reports "bitterness" in more than half the rums he has "reviewed".

That he then mistakes a molasses profile for cane juice is no surprise. The sad part about all of this is the misinformation being put out with such certainty, and that will surely mislead the gullible and needy.

A final note: Wolfie once joined this forum, and remains a visitor. I have little doubt that he'll find this post and correct his egregious errors and admit the obvious: that Abuelo is an old and well regarded molasses rum, aged in the usual Amercian white oak barrels. This may take time, as our earlier dialogue revealed his stubborn propensity for resisting admissions of error.

Today's date: 3/4/11 (his review was posted on 2/24). Let's see how long it takes...
Last edited by Capn Jimbo on Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:03 am, edited 7 times in total.
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Palate or Experience? You need both.

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Palate or Experience? You need both...

With all due respect to my friend, The Frozen One, he has little business reviewing. Or maybe not.

How bad is it?

In analyzing his reviews of rum - a spirit normally appreciated for its sweet elements - he reported bitterness in over half of them. That's amazing! And misleading for the rest of us - actually most of us - who do not share this peculiar palate.

And when a guy who puts himself out as some kind of super-reviewer, what with his own "Dykstra Method" and Dykstra "Awards", he really ought to be able to distinguish the two basic (and very different) types of rum - cane juice from molasses based.

Apparently not. No, instead he misreads the distiller's own website, and based solely on his misreading, declares that Abuelo is "made from cane juice". The website is clear: it is molasses based. Abuelo is an old, well known molasses rum. And last, it tastes nothing like a cane juice rum.

Not even close. And naive readers look to him for guidance? Good grief!

Let me give you a personal example. Some time ago we decided to review what is marketed as a bottom shelf rum (it shouldn't be): Ron Viejo de Caldas. This 3 year old anejo rum is not only labeled as "distilled from cane molasses", the Frozen One's hero - the Preacher - actually awarded this rum not one but two "Silver" medals in his "competitions" (2007 and 2009) in, yup, you guessed it...

As a molasses-based "Aged Rum".

But despite all this, when Sue Sea and I tasted and reviewed it we kept finding a very surprising cane juice profile. We were so surprised we tasted and reviewed it again some time later. Same result: a distinct cane juice profile.

Completely discombobulating! Had we lost our minds? Don't answer that!

In complete bewilderment I then wrote an email to the distiller. I soon received a lengthy and personal email that described their process, and which - to our great relief - confirmed that despite all, this rum was indeed made from cane juice! Believe me, this was a moment of great redemption and renewed confidence in our skills.

You see its about developing and relying on your own skills. Great reviewers do not have special palates - what they do have is a lot of experience in tasting their spirit or wines of choice.

Does the Frozen One have either?

Note: you may be wondering how a cane juice rum is labeled "made from cane molasses". Turns out that the label is a bad translation from this Columbian distiller. Still the Preacher (and others) persist in calling this a molasses rum.

And that, friend, is why The Rum Project exists and prospers...