Combat: Preacher confronts a bigger dick

This is the main discussion section. Grab yer cups! All hands on deck!
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Combat: Preacher confronts a bigger dick

Post by Capn Jimbo »

The Green Monster strikes again...

Perhaps one of the greatest new introductions ever was/ is being conducted by the amazing Ron de Jeremy. The promoter is a master marketer, with a presentation and story that simply couldn't be challenged. Ron de Jeremy is a force to be reckoned with.

Olli Hietalahti got more publicity for his then non-existent rum in a month than the Preacher got for his two wimpy cane juice rums in ten years. That must hurt. What happened next was entirely predictable.

The Preacher excommunicated Olli from his sacred commercial cathedral, when the bigger dicked Jeremy gave him an opening. Here's how it went down (pun intended). Up until then the monkeys at the Shillery were simply going ape over Ron de Jeremy. Five page threads are not all that common, especially for a brand new, unreleased rum. The chimps were chomping at the bit. To get the rum you actually had to sign up on a waiting list.

The anticipation was palpable.

Finally the long awaited rum was shipping, and naturally a couple of the monkeys had ordered it, and were gloating over their soon-to-arrive "get". After all, it IS a zoo, and everybody wants to be an alpha monkey. Sadly for one Texas critter, DrinkUpNY cancelled his order (and ego) because the state apparently doesn't allow mailorder booze.

No problem. Olli the promoter - in a spirit of friendliness - chimed in:
Ron de Jeremy: "...we're very sorry about the Texas regulations. There's couple other people in your situation and we're trying to pull out couple tricks to get the bottle to them. Please send me an email: and we'll do our best to sort it out. Again, sorry about the inconvenience. "
To be fair, this might imply a skirting of the law, but without knowing the "tricks" it's impossible to call this illegal. For example, DrinkUpNY can't mail to Texas, but they can legally mail it to your buddy in Florida who, yup, can legally mail it to you. That's a trick. You get the big dicked rum, and it's all legal.

Not according to the Preacher, who went absolutely apeshit...
Preacher: "I don't think Texans should be limited in their choice of alcohol, but it is illegal and puts a lot of people at jeopardy, including websites where illegal activities are conducted in public forums... This forum isn't the place to work out smuggling routes online, so pull your tricks somewhere else or your registration on this forum will be banned."

"I have invested years of hard work to bring this FREE forum to the more than 50,000 unique people that visited this forum last month and I'm not going to stand by and let some idiot use it to conduct their illegal business so they can make a couple of bucks at my expense and put this forum and my freedom and reputation in jeopardy."

"Is it too much to think before you type? You're not pulling this crap in Finland where the alcohol taxes are higher, the laws are stiffer and the controls stronger than in the US because you know you could go to jail for cheating your government."

"On the second thought, you're banned..."
Urp! So how do ya really feel, Preach? Good grief. This is a guy who clearly types before he thinks. The Preacher begins by telling Olli to tone it down, but then "...on the second thought" bans him. For the most part the monkeys were stunned but a few - recognizing a volcanic eruption when they felt one - chattered back:
Demomonkey: Doesn't this mean that every US citizen who has mentioned bringing bottles of Havana Club into the country on this site should be banned as well?" And...

Count Silvio: "Mmm, delicious smuggled rum." One chimp, fearing the wrath of the master, was really intimidated...

GuzziJason: "FWIW, I was just joking when I made my smuggling comment...".
Now the Preacher, sensing a bit of unrest, tries to compensate:
Preacher: "If you want to tell the world that you are bringing contraband in your luggage, that is your business. If you do it regularly and brag about it, you will probably get caught... As the owner of this internet domain, I have an obligation to see that illegal activities are not allowed through the use of this website." But hedges again, and read this one twice...

"Some attorney probably thinks I have an obligation to notify the authorities of such behavior, I don't agree." However, Ron de Jeremy is different...

Regarding RdJ: "I wouldn't think twice about turning over any documents that would help federal or state prosecutors do their job, but only after I had fed the offender's balls to a hungry pit bull.".
Let's see if I understand.

1. He considers the use of the word "tricks" illegal.

2. But postings of illegal activities by his faithful followers who openly report stories about how they smuggled or snuck in some rum is fine. You do know that Americans can visit Cuba via Canada, don't you?

3. He bans the promoter and threatens that he'll report such activities to the authorities, after first having "...fed the offender's balls to a hungry pit bull".

4. Current members' exploits excepted of course, not least his own.

So what's really happening here?

Jealousy.

Under any other circumstances RdJ would have gotten a PM or private e-mail and the offending post deleted. RdJ would have apologized, made clear any "tricks" he had in mind were not illegal, and life would go on. My evidence?
Preacher: "Maybe you can market your product as an illegal drink that has been banned on the Ministry of Rum website. Tweet about it, put it on Facebook and use it in your PR campaign but this is the last that is going to written by you or your company on this site about Ron Jeremy."
Aha! The Preacher knows a smashing and multifaceted campaign when he sees one, particularly when compared to his own feeble efforts. His only response is sputtering bluster, extreme threats and insults. Would someone please hand him an emesis basin?

But it's not all bad. The Preacher - understanding the superior skills of his bigger dicked adversary - has anticipated and thus recommended Ron's next big slogan...

"...banned at the Ministry of Rum". Perfect! Earth to Preacher: you just made his day...

Capn's Log: For more information on feeding hungry pit bulls, and and yet another first - expose of the Preacher's own smuggling history - read on...
Last edited by Capn Jimbo on Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:23 am, edited 5 times in total.
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Do as I say...

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Do as I say...

I don't know how you spell h-y-p-o-c-r-i-s-y, but I spell it H-a-m-i-l-t-o-n. The Edster is famous for his rum fueled hold-forths. At theworld famous "Tales of the Cocktails" held in New Orleans not so long ago, he discussed his own checkered history, as related by DrinkGal (link):
DrinkGal: "The last seminar I attended was Rum Running: Contraband, Customs and Taxes. How alcohol became contraband, past to present. This was hosted by Ed Hamilton of www.ministryofrum.com , Jeff Berry, author of Beach Bum Berry Remixed, and Wayne Curtis, author of And a Bottle of Rum: World History in Ten Cocktails."

"Ed closed the seminar by talking about how he quit his job in the early 80’s and bought a sailboat. When he got to the Caribbean he actually made a living by smuggling rum for quite some time."
Unlike dear Olli, Hamilton claims to be a real smuggler. Is it time to feed his hungry pitbull yet?
JaRiMi
Admiral

Post by JaRiMi »

Gotta love this thread...So, Mr. Hamilton has openly been bragging about his smuggling career of the past? Interesting, very interesting...

The level of hypocrisy at the ministry is sky-high.
Olli
Landlubber

My balls

Post by Olli »

Oh well. What can I say? I have never met Ed and my balls hope our paths will never cross. One thing I love about Ron de Jeremy brand is the strong emotions it awakens. Cheers!

Capn's Log: "Olli" is none other than the promoter and head honcho of "One-Eyed Spirits", the producer and distributor of Ron de Jeremy.
JaRiMi
Admiral

Post by JaRiMi »

Hi Olli, glad you wrote here. Getting kicked out from Mr. Hamilton's forum is indeed a merit in my books these days, as the forum looks more and more like a stagnant warehouse of brown-spirit boozers, instead of a place to discuss rum. I haven't seen any real discussions there in ages.

I got kicked out for implying that many rum producers aren't 100% honest in telling the story of how their rum & it's flavours are created: Many for example spice up the new make spirit for a period with additives, but fail to mention this in any of their promo-materials.

Mr. Hamilton himself has vaguely stated this, but when I started discussing the matter and pondering how to indentify those who do & those who don't, I got booted out and named as the infamous rum hater from the North.

The aforementioned is just a tad amusing, as I give several rum tasting classes each year, and have been promoting rum since late 80's. (I am also in the process of arranging rum festival / events in Finland this coming summer). In my trainings we do look at the "dark side" of rum business also, as I don't like to lie to people, nor do I like to cover up facts purely for the sake of "its all good, great" promotional BS.

I have a customer for your rum btw here, drop me a note.