History: A great overview

This is the main discussion section. Grab yer cups! All hands on deck!
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

History: A great overview

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Rum 101, second semester...

If you're like me (and most idiots) you simply don't have the time to do extensive and debilitating research and/or to read and review the great historical resources and books. Reading the shards of history sandwiched in between drink recipes (think Wayne Curtis or Robert Plotkin) may suffice for the Shillery monkeys, but aren't even close to satisfying. So what are your options?

Me, of course.

Unlike the two most popular websites (one by a fading rum promoter and the other by one of his sycophantic bitch boys) no time is wasted here on such trivia as "What did you drink today?" or "Did they change the label on XXX?". Nope. Instead, almost all the posts here are meaningful and intended to educate you.

Still, it simply can't fall entirely on The Rum Project. There are other good resources and I always take the time to point you toward them. Here's a couple more:

1. Solar's Rum Page (link): an great capsule history and information on the spirit rum and its production.

2. F. Paul Pacault on "Terroir" (link).

If nothing else these articles will raise your awareness of the basics and the areas of debate. Both are presented with good intention and reasonable scholarship, despite whatever disagreements may exist. A few caveats:

Pacult wrote this at a time when he was enamored of cane juice rums from Martinique (and actually predicted they were the "next big thing"). They were not. Still, this piece lays forth the case quite well. I have great respect for Pacult and his rapier palate.

Solar does better, shows much less bias, but in summarizing he has sadly repeated some of the industry/producer terms, dividing rums into the usual marketing categories (white, gold, aged, overproof, etc.) that however useful in selling rum, do not promote the understanding or appreciation of the basic styles of rum (Pacult does better here).

Still, both are required reading. Don't come back here until you do...