Regurgitation: Not again!

This is the main discussion section. Grab yer cups! All hands on deck!
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Regurgitation: Not again!

Post by Capn Jimbo »

When I throw up, I flush it...

Not artic wolves. As mentioned in another thread ("Spew: Artic Regurgitation") I made much - too much some thought - of how wolves, being really poor hunters, hunt in packs and occasionally pick off a weak, young or old straggler from the herd. I then noted that their usual MO is to eat 1/4th of their body weight, gorge on the rare and hard won goodies, and then...

Regurgitate to feed their young.

Naturally, I related all of this ugly spew to our very own Frozen Wolfie who in little more than a year has spewed out about 240 spirits reviews, another say 360 recipes and conducted roughly 1000 tastings!! Holy Wolfshit, Batman!

Now you might be asking yourself, just what does a real artic wolf do with the uh, uneaten regurgiations? Excellent question! They eat it again for say, a midnight snack. And oddly enough...

So does Wolfboy.

He's managed to score freebies galore, and apparently spewed all the reviews, recipes and comments known to mankind. In his year of an unceasing rummierection he's apparently tasted all the freebies he can get his paws on. So what does he do?

He is now republishing them at the rate of one or two a week.

And these are not re-reviews, they are the same fuckin reviews! As if the visitor is too dumb to simply click on the lists of reviews that appear on every single page of his Rum Oddisee. Look, I can see revisiting a rum, tasting it again, and posting a brand new re-review of that rum. I can see him adding detail, comparing the old to the new. But noooooooo...

He simply links to the same review. Easy, quick and makes his wolfden look busy and inhabited. What a crock! But let's hear his rationale for this ridiculousness...
Wolfboy: "Today, I thought it would be fun to bring back my very first ‘published’ review...

Although I had been posting rambling reviews on web forums like The Ministry of Rum for about three months, this review was the first one which I wrote with the conscious knowledge that people would be taking what I say seriously.

The review was a smashing success for not only myself, but also for Rum Connection.."
It's refreshing to see such humility, and just what was that smashingly successful review? Pusser's 15. Not only was this piece amateurish, but it also established The Frozen One's strange palate, wherein he found Pussers (and later, more than half the rums he reviewed)...

"Bitter".

No wonder he regurgitates. Yup, my recent study found that the Preacher's pal's palate seems that of a supertaster with bittermouth (the small percentage of people who experience a particular phenol as bitter). Most of the rest of us don't, and frankly a reviewer who suffers such a palate ought to be doing something else.

Like selling sports memorabilia. But that's not all. Turns out that the Wolfmeister - having run out of spirits - is gonna regurgiate an old review, word-for-word, every Tuesday for his ravenous mob of hungry wolflings.
The Great Regurgitator: "It has occurred to me that I have a lot of new readers who may not have had the opportunity to read some of my earliest reviews. In order to make these reviews more accessible I have decided to revisit them. These re-postings should appear about once a week (usually on Tuesdays). I have resisted the impulse to re-write the reviews."
Not me though, as I have resisted the impulse to re-read these bitter offerings... on Tuesday I'm watching NCI and The Good Wife. Truth is there is so much to write about: distilling, fermentation, tasting techniques, glassware, rum politics, mythbusting, you name it.

Relinking the same tired and bitter reviews, already linked on the same page, under the guise of public demand and appreciation ("Let them eat cake. The same cake. Again.") is simply batshit.

Any reference to Bacardi is entirely coincidental.
Capn Jimbo

And, yup, just one thing more...

Post by Capn Jimbo »

And, yup, just one more thing...

Consider these:

1. I know of no other spirits reviewer who republishes anything verbatim, especially a spirits review (short of a bit of quoted cut 'n paste to example a new post or idea).

2. OTOH, top reviewers will often revisit a spirit, rereview it, and publish a brand new review, often comparing the old tasting to the new. This is usually done when one suspects that a formula has changed (and they often do).

Take Ron de Jeremy for an example.

I literally attacked this offering as an example of the depths to which the wacky world of rum had drained. The brilliant CEO and marketer Ollie was completely resistant, and in the spirit of the wonderfully circular Asian martial arts - simply redirected my satirical piece and featured it on RdJ's home page!

As a result we were given one of our very, very rare freebies (completely unsolicited), and we did a fair review of it. It was hot. Hot, hot, HOT I say! It was an otherwise pleasant and unassuming product, but the finish caught you in the face like a jilted mistress. I privately advised Ollie to consider reformulating it (as is often done with failing products).

Then what?

Recently RdJ was reviewed by my good friend the Bilgemunky (a man whose reviews I entirely respect), and - voila! - no hot or peppery finish at all. In fact the Bilge - who really loves a hot finish - criticized it on its LACK of finish. But I digress. The point...

Ron de Jeremy is Exhibit A for re-reviewing a rum. Not linking to or simply republishing the very same tired old (and perhaps now inaccurate) review - but actually retasting and re-reviewing the possibly new and improved product and comparing it to the older, hotter version.

Bottom line:

Really now, there is so, so much to publish and discuss without resorting to just filling space on your home page, and relinking a review that is already linked there. So what has happened here?

Is the Frozen One so limited that when he runs out of sufficient freebies to review he is simply dumbfounded? Or does he feel that the appearance of activity - even empty activity - is preferable to finally reducing his projectile vomiting of verbiage? Has he no intelligible or intelligent backup? No other interesting or educational material or comments? No relevent links?

You decide. I have...
Last edited by Capn Jimbo on Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Capn Jimbo

A Follow up...

Post by Capn Jimbo »

A Follow up...

The Artic Wonder is a probable and frequent visitor (I know his IP well), so it's always interesting to see how he reacts to being outed. And he did react, but faced a wolf puzzling dilemma:

1. To deny that he simply relinks already linked reviews, without change (after all it was he who stated "I have resisted the impulse to re-write the reviews.". He felt challenged to find some shred of reason to somehow justify this ridiculous practice. Yet...

2. To remain the quintessential stubborn Canadian, and at all costs leave his exspurt words chiseled in relative stone.

So here's what he did on his very next repost/relink:

The Frozen Regurgitator: today I am re-posting my review for this Cuban Rum for those persons who may have missed it. I have not changed the scores, but I have edited the review for clarity although the essence of the original review remains the same.
Wow! Perfect!! In other words I'm changing it (for clarity) but it's really the same. And it's still a re-link of a review which is already linked, and always has been, on every single page of his blog.

The relink this time is for another of his freebies, Legendario. The "editing for clarity" - in one paragraph "too rich" becomes "too rich and sweet". Now mind you the review was already full of "sweet... honey... very, very sweet... honey like..." - as if the addition of just one more "sweet" was needed. The other "edit for clarity"? "...a bit like Frangelico... Frangelioconess..." becomes "...a hazelnut accent reminding me a bit of Frangelico... Frangeliconess".

In other words, no real change, but somehow facesaving. Bravo! What he doesn't edit is the bad grammer, misspellings and incomplete sentences. And not surprisingly he simply has to address his bitter palate by stating "It lacks the bitterness so common in other Cuban Rums."

I'm speechless...