Bitter Dept: A New Record!

This is the main discussion section. Grab yer cups! All hands on deck!
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Bitter Dept: A New Record!

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Forest Gump: "Stupid is as stupid does."
Forrest Stump: "Life's like a box of bitter chocolates. You always know what you're gonna get."

It is widely held that we poor idiots experience certain basic taste sensations, namely sweet, salty, sour and bitter. More and more a fifth sensation, umami - a sort of sense of savory - has been accepted.

Umami is particularly interesting. Unlike the other sensations, umami is said to encompass all the senses. Monosodium glutamate is a common additive designed to make food taste better. Some of you who frequent Chinese foodstores may already be familiar with "Five Spice" - a mixture of uh, five spices, each of which embodies one of the five taste sensations.

All of which most of us can discern in the food or rum we are consuming, and hopefully enjoy. But not the Frozen Wolfboy...

About 20% of the population belong to a group called "Supertasters". Although that would seem an advantage, it is not. Supertasters' are so keen that they are easily overwhelmed by the magnified sensations of tastes that the rest of us find quite enjoyable. These cursed folks often find certain foods or beverages vile, even repulsive.

It gets worse.

A subset of this minority also possess what I call "bittermouth" - a special sensitivity to certain phenols that can appear in spirits, and which they perceive as "bitter".

The Frozen One seems to be one of these, and in my review of his site found "bitterness" in over half the rums reviewed. Of course I brought this to his attention, and begged him to recognize his sensitivity, and to find another descriptor more useful to the majority of rum drinkers.

Of course he refused, as always, but I did note an increased use of synonymatic substitutions. But if nothing else, his pride and stubbornness prevailed and it was back to "bitter".

Big time. Here's his recent review for Gordon's Gin:
"In the Glass 8.5/10"

"I poured myself a small shot of the Gordon’s Gin and gave my glass a tilt and slow swirl. A nice oily sheen was imparted on the inside of my glass, and to my surprise long slender legs developed. This is an indication of a mildly oily texture which should give this gin a nice finish.

As I nosed the glass a nice piny juniper aroma climbed out of the glass into the breezes. This scent was quickly surrounded by sweeter lemon and lime citrus aromas. As well a light, almost birch-like aroma was hinted at, and the overall effect is quite nice; although I do recognize that the birch aroma has added a slightly harsh tinge to the air above the glass.

In the Mouth 49/60

The flavour of Gordon’s Gin is quite assertive with a piny (and mildly bitter) juniper leading out in front. A sweeter lemony citrus flavour follows. A certain dry bitterness is evident, and as I sip my glass, my mouth puckers, and I receive vague impressions of wild elderberries and fresh birch sap. I seem to taste a little coriander as well, although this impression might be a phantom conjured up in my imagination as a friend of mine who was tasting with me noticed the flavour. I noticed it only after it was mentioned.

As part of my tasting regimen I mixed a Key Lime Gimlet to test the performance of the Gordon’s Gin in a cocktail. The assertiveness of the gin pushed through the lime, and the resulting cocktail had a very strong piny mildly bitter flavour. I also made a Gin Martini, and again the piny and lightly bitter gin flavour seemed very strong to me. For the well indoctrinated gin enthusiast this assertiveness on the part of the gin will probably be very welcome, but I found myself struggling to finish two cocktails which I normally enjoy.

In the Throat 12/15

The gin has a moderately long finish with citrus and juniper flavours settling into the palate for a time period well after the glass is consumed. However a birch-like bitterness settles in for an even longer time period which diminished the experience for me.

The Afterburn 8.5/10

Gordon’s London Dry Gin would not be the first gin I would serve a novice gin drinker; however, it certainly would be up for consideration if I was to serve a drink to an experienced gin aficionado. The stronger piny juniper flavour and the lasting bitterness would certainly appeal to a more experienced gin palate. I however, prefer a softer gin more akin to Tangueray No. 10 or Bombay Sapphire Gin. But I certainly can appreciate that Gordon’s Gin will have a wide appeal to those who like to relish a stronger flavour experience."
Wow! Six useages of "bitter" and one of synonymatic "harsh" in one review!! A record even for the Frigid Bitterboy. Now is Gordon's London Dry gin actually bitter? Survey sez: nope. A modestly rated, pungent and classic juniper-based gin, you betcha.

You decide.
Last edited by Capn Jimbo on Thu May 26, 2011 10:22 am, edited 4 times in total.
Capn Jimbo

Bitter lesson...

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Bitter lesson from a bitter history...

Am I being tough on the Preacher's Pal? Absolutlely. And is it justified? Sure is. When the two most active websites in the small but completely wacky world of rum are (a) a self-serving rep and (b) a rank amateur with an apparently bitter palate - we're in big, big trouble.

Compare to the good guys: BTI, Bilgemunky, Count Silvo, El Machete and Scotte's. Oh yeah, and moi. Most slightly commercial, but far, far more honest and reliable in terms of reviews and ratings. And who have normal palates.

Let's face it.

Supersensitive bitter findings simply don't cut it in reviewing. Bittermouth supertasters need to find a new hobby like collecting sports memorabilia, or quail hunting. But bitter isn't all bad! Nope, bitters have become an essential part of skillfully mixed, enjoyable mixed drinks.

The history of bitters is fascinating, even educational with regard to understanding the existence of our northernmost cracked reviewer. For now, I urge you to check this out...

Link to Bitter Histories
Capn Jimbo

Good grief!

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Records are made to be broken...

Just when I thought the Frozen Regurgitator had reached his personal zenith, he must have found a few more unused taste receptors. It only took a week (Gordon's bitter review - with 6 "bitters" and 1 "harsh" - took place on May 19th) - but our persistent Wolfie has done it yet again, this time with...

Siku Ice Glacier Vodka. The new record: 7 "bitters" in one short review! And I'm not even counting the 3 adverbial "metallics". Go dog!! A big howl out to the furry one...