Regurgitation: "Infused" Vodka

This is the main discussion section. Grab yer cups! All hands on deck!
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Regurgitation: "Infused" Vodka

Post by Capn Jimbo »

A Deconstruction of Marketing Spew...

As a recovering marketing maven, I simply love deconstructing bullshit and their regurgitating reviewers. No one is better/worse at this than the Frozen Wolfie. Watch this tennis match between Alchemia Chocolate Infused Vodka and The Frozen One...
Alchemia: "The infusion of natural cocoa lends Alchemia Chocolate Vodka its amber coloring... chocolate flavor... and aroma.".

Wolfie
: "Alchemia Czekoladowa (pronounced chek-o-la-dova ) is a premium grain distilled vodka from Poland infused with naturally derived cocoa... allowing both colour and flavour to be imparted to the final spirit."
Apart from being a blatant republishing of the distiller's ad copy, neither the distiller, and certainly not Wolfie ever really explain or examine this claim. I will.
Wolfie: "The Alchemia bottle has been designed to resemble an old style alembic which is a laboratory tool used in by ancient alchemists."

Alchemia: "The bottle itself is modeled to resemble a laboratory instrument - an alembic or alchemist's tool."
More stolen spew from the regurgitating Wolf Wonder. Does the bottle really resemble an ancient alembic? Hardly, but the Wolfboy is too busy lapping up his free bottle of chocolate-flavored vodka to notice. Stay tuned...

More unexamined distiller claims...

1. Like all spirits marketing departments, Alchemia promotes their amazing water, which "...comes from the deepest aquifers in the ecologically cleanest area of Poland, aptly named "The Green Lungs of Poland". Surprisingly the next step is to "purify" and filter the shit out of this pure water using reverse osmosis.

Wasn't it already pure enough?

2. Now the Polish marketing boyz go apeshit over their Infusion Process, stating "Flavored vodkas merely add ingredients during the distillation process. Infused vodkas are created by infusing or saturating ingredients in an already distilled vodka."

Folks, this is exactly backwards, and neither Alchemia (how quaint) and Wolfie (how droll) care. Let's examine why...

The Facts...

1. Alchemia aka Wolfie claim that their four-sided, pyramidal bottle was designed to reflect the alembic still.

No flippin way. Even modestly-read imbibers know that alembics are the graceful, curving onion-shaped copper pot still used for hundreds of years (and still used today) to produce spirits and infusions. Here's a classic example (top picture)...

Classic Alembic Still

Alembic Infusion Still

The bottom picture is an alembic designed specifically to infuse fruit, spice or herb essences. In this case the top onion has a perforated internal copper plate which holds the material to be infused. Rising vapors pass through these materials, pick up the essence of them, and finally the infused spirit is condensed and collected.

The very finest gins use this method.

2. Alchemia states that "Flavored vodkas 'merely' add ingredients during distillation (while) Infused vodkas 'infuse' ingredients in already distilled vodka."

The truth is pretty much the opposite. Keep in mind that the vodka market - and especially their flavored versions - are really a pretty modern, mostly marketing phenomena. On the other hand, fine Gin has been made since about 1850 and is the original infused spirit.

Trust me, vodkas are simply mass-produced in incredible quantities and gain their flavor from dumped in artificial or faux "natural" flavorings and spices. In comparison gins tend to use real botanicals. Dig this...

The original cheap and later "bathtub" gins were made in the cheapest way possible, beginning with "cold compounding". The botanicals were simply crushed, maybe bagged and then are left to soak in distilled neutral grain spirits for perhaps a week. The crushed materials and/or bag is then removed, and the gin is filtered and bottled.

The really cheap, bathtub version of gin cooked the crushed botanicals to try to obtain the "essential oils" - the captured oils were then added to tanks (or bathtubs) of neutral spirits. Essentially these purveyors of this rotgut simply boiled the shit out of the crushed botanicals to extract every possible bit of flavoring to toss into the bathtub (not to mention a lot of other unwanted ugly stuff).

Pretty awful. Now lets consider "Gin Head Distillation".

Gin Head Distillation is real infusion and this method is very, very expensive compared to either the cold or oil method. This method uses the pot stills similar to the one shown in the picture above. The botanicals are loaded into a perforated holding compartment on the top of the still, and the distilled vapors pass through, pulling out the essences of the botanicals in the gentlest and purest possible fashion. No crushing, no twigs, no unwanted flavors.

The Gin Head Distillation process is so pure that no filtration is required, and the condensed gin is simply diluted and bottled. Lovely!

Summary...

The method that Alchemia and Wolfie misrepresent as "infusion" is really more like the bathtub gin process. Although some fruits can actually be infused in this way, cocoa requires no "soaking" or "steeping" to gain the essence. The truth...

Just dump it in and voila! Chocolate "infused" vodka. This is actually more a flavoring process, very common for profitable "premiumized" vodkas.

But not for real infusions, like quality Gin.

My point: Wolfie seemingly could not give a rat's ass about Alchemia's transparent marketing claims. He simply repeats them, then publishes a fawning "review", using his amazing, special "vodka tasting methodology" (covered elsewhere).

It's just such a farce....
Last edited by Capn Jimbo on Sun Sep 11, 2011 1:14 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Capn Jimbo

More mumblings...

Post by Capn Jimbo »

More mumblings...

For the smart ass monkeys that visit (and who will point out that some infusions really do take place in "already distilled spirits") - although technically (and barely) true - this refers to actual fruits, and to real herbs, seeds and spices.

Not cocoa.

In the former the fruits are macerated, soaked or steeped for a time and then removed. The spirit is then filtered - and get this - often redistilled to get rid of the unintended uglies from the fruit, stems, husks, etc.

Not cocoa.

What Alchemia aka Wolfie want you to believe is that cocoa is actually soaked or steeped, then removed?! Of course not. You simply dump in a predetermined amount of cocoa, or more likely some form of "natural" flavoring, and there you go. Bathtub Chocolate Vodka. This is just plain bullshit. Why call the cocoa infused? Simple...

It's sexy, sounds sophisticated and the monkeys either won't understand the deception, or simply not care. It sounds cool, so hey! I love this shit!

Just that simple.
Capn Jimbo

An obedient wolf...

Post by Capn Jimbo »

An obedient wolf...

Protestations aside, Wolfboy visits this site constantly, reads my incisive and witty criticisms then - modifies his postings - but without giving me due credit.

This can only be due to what I'd guess is:

1. Foolishness
2. Stubborness
3. Ego

In this case I made much of his usual regurgitation of distiller marketing copy, namely the ridiculous claim that the Alchemia bottle is based on the ancient and traditional alembic (aka alambic) still. The actual alambic stills are pictured above.

Soon after the OP, Wolfie altered his posting and added this...
The Frozen Wolfboy: "(I will admit that my original thought on the bottle was that the company was trying to make a stylized letter A, and the connection to an alembic was totally lost on me.)"
Please note the use of parenthesis. He leaves his original claim "The Alchemia bottle has been designed to resemble an old style alembic...", but now adds this alleged afterthought.

In a newer review of another Alchemia vodka he completes his Capn Jimbo-based corrections:
Wolfie:"According to the company website, the Alchemia bottle has been designed to resemble an old style alembic... My own thought on the bottle was that the company was trying to make a stylized letter A..."
Note how he now (finally!) includes the caveat "according to the company website" and (finally!) delivers "my own thought" on the subject. Both Capn Jimbo approved, and of course lifted from this forum.

It's perfectly obvious that the Frozen One is perfectly willing to regurgitate uncited distiller copy - unless caught in their tomfoolery - in which case he will regurgitate the criticism, in this case mine.

How much easier it would be to simply admit the error, apologize and go on...