Scarlet Ibis Caroni rum

This is the main discussion section. Grab yer cups! All hands on deck!
JaRiMi
Admiral

Scarlet Ibis Caroni rum

Post by JaRiMi »

The good Captain J brought this product to my attention some time ago, and I had what I ca describe these days as a rare look at the "ministry's" somewhat dead pages to see what the discussion there says. As Captain J also says in his writings (check this link pls):

http://rumproject.com/rumforum//viewtopic.php?t=118

The "Scarlet Ibis" rum seems to originate from the rum stocks of late Caroni distillery, once owned by the Trinidad govmnt, now closed & stocks of rum sold off to various companies.

I do not claim to have absolute truth (yet) to whether or not this rum was indeed made in a potstill, but I would kindly point out to any interested party the following information, printed in the Caroni distillery's official, old info pamphlet (see the image behind this link please):

http://www.therumquest.co.uk/custom/Car ... ochure.jpg

Quoting: "In 1984, both the cast iron and wooden coffee stills were replaced by a two-column blairs still AND a potstill."

Caroni closed down in 2002, after which no rum was made there to my knowledge. If they had purchased a pot still in 1984, I see no reason why this equipment would not have been in (at least occasional) use until the very end of the distillation there just 18 years later.

It would seem odd that a company would specifically mention that the rum they sell is made with a pot still, if this wasn't the case - but who am I to say. I will continue to ask about this from my sources, lets see what can be found out.
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

As always, thanks...

Post by Capn Jimbo »

A reliable resource...

JaRiMi has always been one of the most talented, honest and well-informed resources regarding rum especially. In the past we have had some rousing and respectful debates over at Count Silvios. He is very well informed, open-minded and does his due diligence.

So do I.

I tend to agree that the evidence supports Ibis' claim, and look forward to any further information that can be uncovered. Sue Sea and I have access to a single orphaned bottle which we plan to review, if only because we have such a high appreciation for pot stilled spirits...
JaRiMi
Admiral

Post by JaRiMi »

Update: At least from my sources who have dealt with Caroni rums in Trinidad and UK, I have received confirmation that Caroni did indeed distill pot still rum as well as column still rum.

If Scarlet Ibis (referring of course to the national bird of Trinidad & Tobago) rum comes from Caroni's old & now sold stocks, then it may well be pot still.